Buying car from dealer & Motability? - Clio87
I've just seen a lovely car with a really low mileage for sale with a small dealer. It is classed as disabled (though it hasn't been modifed afaik) and was on the Motability scheme. It seems a good buy but as I haven't bought a car in years (about 10 years!!) please could someone help with the following:

1. The car isn't registered in the dealer's name. It is a dealer who works from home, not one with a forecourt. He tells me it isn't in his name as otherwise he can't advertise it as "1 lady owner". He showed me the log book which had a chunk missing from it which he said had been completed by the owner to show she had sold the car to trade. Does this sound right? Need I be concerned? How do I safeguard myself to show that he is actually the owner? He said the DVLA have the piece of paper showing that the car is owned by him and that he is in the motor trade.

2. He told me that if I were to buy, he would need an insurance cover note from me so that he can get the car re-classified from disabled to normal PLG so I am able to tax it.

The chap seems very genuine but I'd welcome any thoughts/advice on this and how I can safeguard myself before coughing up with some cold hard cash!

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Buying car from dealer & Motability? - Collos25
What he told you is correct.
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - menu du jour
How old is this car? If it has just come off the Motability fleet, then I would think he bought it at auction and the previous owner therefore is Motability fleet operations.
The car could have been driven by anyone as a disabled person can nominate others to drive for them.
Hope this is of some use.
culmhead
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - Clio87
Hi,

thanks for the messages. It is 2004 registered. I saw the logbook and it was registered in a person's name but also says it is classed as "disabled" - somewhere in the papers I saw the word Motability and the dealer told me it would have been purchased by the lady who was disabled under some sort of government subsidy scheme.

I really want to put a deposit down but should I be worried that it isn't registered in his name yet? How do I prove he actually owns the car before I risk paying a lot of money over for the car?

Many thanks.
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - menu du jour
The disabled taxation class is available to anyone in receipt of the higher rate mobility componant of disability living allowance. Altough a lot of people opt for the lease option you can actually buy the car through hire purchase instead. This would account for the lady's name on the v5. I suppose you should check it is not still under a finance agreement.
culmhead
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - RichardW
No trader will register the car in their name. The previous owner will fill out the red section of the V5, and send it to DVLA, passing the remaining parts (Blue and green) to the trader. Provided the trader in is posession of these parts then it's pretty sure the car is his to sell. See tinyurl.com/3y676f You will then fill out the Blue part and send it to DVLA once you purchase.

You should however HPI check the car to ensure that any finance has been paid off - if the finance company still own it then they can come after it.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - RichardW
Actually that's not quite right - I was reading the wrong bit (d'uh) - read the bit about the V5C. Trader should still have the blue and green bits though.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Buying car from dealer & Motability? - Pugugly {P}
DVLA will have it recorded as being "in trade".