Just a bite - expat
I am visiting the UK in Sept and will be hiring a car for a few weeks and driving up to Scotland. When I was over in '87 (yes that far back) I bought an Egon Ronay book "Just a bite" which gave listings of recommended cafes and teashops where you could get a good quality light meal. Is there any guide book like that available now? I checked the Egon Ronay site but didn't see anything. I don't want to be eating in motorway services and greasy spoons. I like having a decent meal and am prepared to go out my way to get it.
Just a bite - legacylad
As in Motoring section of last Sats DT...''Breaks near the Motorways'' by Hugh Cantlie £12.95 Cheviot Books www.cheviotbooks.com

Will buy it off you for a couple of quid when you return home!! (archetypal Yorkshireman speaking here).

If you are in the Dales/Lakes area I can recommend several excellent eateries...M6 Tebay Services are good, so I have been told.

Just a bite - Nsar
If you fancy a good pub to eat in, I can recommend the, er Good Pub Guide. They have a searchable website as well. I've never been disappointed by the accuracy of the descriptions.
Just a bite - OldHand
www.goodguides.co.uk/pubs/search.asp

I swear by it as well. Work out a route and go via a pub with good food. You can even have a pint of bitter to accompany it.*

*please note I'm advocating responsible drinking and a pint of average strength beer enjoyed before and during a meal with a suitable period for it to metabolise is going to leave you below the limit and unimpaired. Unless of course you are teetotal.
Just a bite - mal

>>>>www.goodguides.co.uk/pubs/search.asp

I swear by it as well. Work out a route and go via a pub with good food. You can even have a pint of bitter to accompany it.*<<<<

I have just had a look for the good eating pubs in my area including a notable one that won a national award for their food and none of them are listed.
I can only assume it is a publication that the businesses have to pay to be included in it.
Just a bite - AdrianM
Not exactly Egon Ronay....but a good guide for avoiding Mway services.

www.5minutesaway.co.uk/
Just a bite - Altea Ego
Tell the guys on here your route, and the suggestion will follow.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Just a bite - Brian Tryzers
While they're in the mood, might they like to recommend somewhere within reach of the Yorkshire stretch of the A1? I expect we'll have got to somewhere between Leeds and Ripon by the time we're ready for a break on Sunday; if it has somewhere outside for small Beests to play, so much the better.

Much obliged,
WdB
Just a bite - tyro
I owned a copy of Egon Ronay's "Just a Bite" many years ago. It seemed to me to be a great idea - but since it is no longer published, I guess I must have been in a minority.

The following isn't really the same kind of thing - but it's the closest I've seen.

www.amazon.co.uk/Tip-top-Teashops-Great-Britains-R...3

Just a bite - borasport20
'Off the Motorway' by Travel Publishing' lists all the motorways, junction by junction - we've only used it twice in anger, but both were good choices

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Just a bite - expat
Thanks for the suggestions. I shall go down to a bookshop on the first day in the UK and check them out.

Legacylad - as an ex Scot I sympathise with you. You could try requesting it at the library. My copy will be left with my relatives as I will be bludging beds, meals etc off them. ;-))
Just a bite - legacylad
Went to the library and they had the temerity to ask for 40p (yes, 40p) before they would order it in for me.Pah.Thats Settle for you, tight fisted Yorkies.
Just a bite - expat
"Went to the library and they had the temerity to ask for 40p (yes, 40p) "

So much for free libraries. Legacylad this profligacy will lead you to financial ruin.
Just a bite - drbe
>>
Legacylad - as an ex Scot I sympathise with you. >>

How did you manage to become an ex Scot?

The that you are a Scot is something that you will take to your grave, surely?
Just a bite - expat
"The that you are a Scot is something that you will take to your grave, surely?"

After spending two thirds of my life in Australia I feel rather more Australian than Scottish. A bit of both but more Australian. You have to be prepared to be happy with where you are and to blend in other wise you might as well go back.
Just a bite - Kevin
>Tell the guys on here your route, and the suggestion will follow.

I like TVM's suggestion.

Can't we put together a "HJ's Backroom Dining Delights" thread of recommendations from BRoomers?

It would need to be policed to prevent false advertising but I'm sure we could compile an honest list of decent eating places.

Kevin...
Just a bite - Pugugly {P}
"It would need to be policed"

Oh Yes....!
Just a bite - expat
That sounds like a good idea however it would need to include a description of the menu as one persons good hearty breakfast would be another persons greasy heart attack.

This was where Just a Bite excelled. It was all the sort of tea and coffee shops that the missus and I like. It wouldn't have suited the hearty fry up enthusiast however it wasn't aimed at him.
Just a bite - 007
This good food guide is for free:

www.tinyurl.com/rxqkx
Just a bite - Kevin
"It would need to be policed"

>Oh Yes....!

PU.

Did you take a step forward there or did everyone else take one step back?

Kevin...
Just a bite - Nsar
Who knows? But we've all now got a mental image of PU as jowly dog.

Just a bite - normd2
to get back to expat's query and as TVM (?) said, if we have an idea of the route we could chip in our pennyworth ie I know of three that fit his description just off the M90. I would say they have to be local to the poster to ensure they're still there ie not 'I had a lovely cream tea at The Coffee Shop in Tiddlybank on the A98765 in 1983' and of course no gratuitous advertising - scout's honour.
Just a bite - drbe
The Good Pub Guide has a section at the back where you find your nearest motorway junction and there is a list of pubs within 5 or 10 minutes.
Just a bite - expat
" if we have an idea of the route we could chip in our pennyworth"

Good point. I didn't put that in because I haven't yet got a map book. I will pick that up when I get to the UK. Maybe Mr Hertz will include one gratis with his horseless carriage. Anyway I am going to start off by driving from Haywards Heath to Harrogate. I think that will probably mean the M25 and then the M1. We are intending to stop for morning tea, lunch and perhaps afternoon tea. I seem to remember that if I leave about 9 or so I should get there by mid afternoon. Excuse me if I am rather vague about things. I am seldom in the UK these days and am well out of touch. Thanks for all your advice.
Just a bite - normd2
and when you're here drop into an internet cafe, tell us where you're going next and see if we can suggest anywhere for you to eat/visit.
Just a bite - tyro
It is a curious thing, but if one is looking for a pleasant coffee shop in modern Britain, one can do worse than look in a big garden centre.

We have used the coffee shops at both Klondyke and Dobbies on our travels.

see
www.klondyke.co.uk/pages/topiary.htm
and
www.dobbies.com/findacentre.aspx

Why garden centres should have gone into the restaurant / coffee shop business in such a big way is a mystery to me.
Just a bite - helicopter
I agree that they tend to be good value. Also they tend to be by A roads.

It is to cater for the middle class people of a certain age who are into their gardening in a big way.Some of the places local to me are packed to capacity , particularly at weekends.

I don't dare ask how much SWMBO spends on plants for our garden but it is a substantial amount.

Big garden centres have become destinations in their own right. They have to utilise all the land they take up a bit like department stores.

I have just been to one called Wyevales this afternoon and they not only had a very nice looking restaurant and all the usual garden plants , equipment , conservatories , etc but clothes ( Edinburgh Woolen Mills ) Books, swimming pools , conservatory furniture , home made cakes and jams.

As long as they don't mix the weedkiller with the food then its OK by me.
Just a bite - daveyjp
There's only one place to go in Harrogate for afternoon tea - Bettys. Tea, cucumber and salmon sandwiches (no crusts!), little cakes and scones. They have a cafe at Harlow Carr gardens too.

www.bettys.co.uk

www.bettys.co.uk/menu.pdf

Just a bite - Clk Sec
>>>
Can't we put together a "HJ's Backroom Dining Delights" thread of recommendations from BRoomers? <<<

Wonderful Idea.

Clk Sec
Just a bite - Pugugly {P}
I'm in favour of it, but I'm just a junior member