MINI ONE - R.ASPINALL
Every time I start my BMW MINI up and move off,after aprox' 3 seconds a dull clumping noise comes from the engine bay area.it would appear in my humble opinion to sound something like an electrical solenoid energising.
this occurs every single starting sequence.I am not particulary concerned but am very curious as to what the cause is-any MINI owners noticed the same noise and does any one have any ideas as to what the cause is?.
cheers,
RAYASP.
The most over hyped car of the decade. - Cat Alyst
That's the Mini ONE. If BMW had brought this car out with a Rover badge on it when they owned the company, hardly anyone would have touched it.

Just shows how fickle some people are.
Re: The most over hyped car of the decade. - bob
Dear Cat, you may be right and it just goes to show how important a good reputation is and how improtant it is to maintain it. Sadly, our chums at Rover have never really recovered from the sad old Red Robbo days of British Leyland. Current cars are ok but the reputation remains in many peoples minds. Perception is king in the world of the consumer.

ps, no idea what the noise is although on my old 5 series all sorts of things started up slightly after engine start. Suggest you have a word with the local dealer.
Re: lives upto the hype ! - Steve G
Your right about badging Cat , just look how the old Rover 200/400,25/45 became MG ZS/ZT .....
But if the current Mini had been launched under Rover i dont think sales would have been less. The car itself is sheer quality and great fun to drive with bags of character ,something other manufacturers fail to deliver.
Back to the question....
Does your Mini have Aircon ? could be the a/c system kicking in...
Re: lives upto the hype ! - Kevin

Steve,

the aircon would be my first guess too.

The aircon on my Chevy makes an audible click a few seconds after startup. Probably the compressor solenoid.

Kevin...
Not everyone loves the MINI - Mahatma Coate
"pile of rubbish" was how I heard one "lady" describe her MINI ONE in a very loud voice while waiting for a colleague at the local BMW emporium
Re: Not everyone loves the MINI - Kev
I agree, it looks awful, people say it looks bad in yellow, its closer to the truth that it looks hideous in any colour.
The interior is a mess of colours, shapes and ideas. Sickly.
How easy is it to read the speedometer? Funny how the most commonly used speeds [e.g. low speeds] are furthest away from driver, very good idea......
O, and for 12kish, you get a small 2 door car

Unfortunatly, it will hold its value, give me a Focus anyday......

Kev
Re: Not everyone loves the MINI - The Griffin
The Focus looks just as bad if not worse imho. Some kid with a geometry set definitely designed that car.

For £12k I'd buy an MG-ZS.
Re: Not everyone loves the MINI - Honestjohn
(Kev has obviously never driven a MINI.)

HJ
Re: Not everyone loves the MINI - Kev
Quite correct,
I have not and im sure I will not for a while, unless someone is stupid enough to let me drive theirs bearing in mine I have as yet no driving licence only 16 lessons experience limited to a Saxo, which im sure is not actually a car.
Buts he's getting a 1.8 Focus, which seems like far more fun :-)

Kev
Re: lives upto the hype ! - Honestjohn
Where I live the 17 year old girl next door passed her driving test in a MINI One three weeks ago. Now the 17 year old girl next door but one is learning in the same MINI One driving school car. (He's a very busy instructor, and the garage who supplied him with the MINI one is selling a LOT of MINIs.) The point is, the MINI is the most fun car to drive you can buy. (I mean FUN, not the self-inflicted torture you get with some out and out sports cars.)

HJ
Re: lives upto the hype ! - cyd
The motor buying public are very fickle - especially when it comes to image, which can often get in the way of the truth.

It's a shame people don't realise just how much development of the MINI was done by Rover engineers. The project was called R50 - that's R for Rover.

Taking HJs point - driven any of the new MGs recently? Compared them to their Rover stablemates (or the competition) by 'driving' them? Well wouldn't that be novel. Promise you - chalk and cheese. I actually know a couple of people who went for a test drive for "a laugh"....... and then bought one!
Re: lives upto the hype ! - Ian Cook
I'm very sceptical about fashion cars, HJ, but I've got to admit that the new MINI looks good. I think it makes it as an evolution of the original in the way that the new Beetle doesn't. It looks fresh and cheeky, whereas the Beetle looks naff and dull.

I won't be buying one - but then that's no reflection on the MINI, it just doesn't fit my motoring needs. ...but if I were still working and looking for a company car (for the sort of job and business needs that I had) then I'd seriously consider it.

Ian