ex demo car....? - Rocket
Hi,

My partner is wanting to buy a newer car,we have seen a couple listed on Auto Trader that say that the car is ex demo. She is concerned about what the car has been put through?

Any help very much appreciated.
ex demo car....? - DP
Our Scenic is an ex-demo (plus one owner) and it's fine, as was our old Fiesta Zetec-S.

What I liked particularly with the Scenic was that every single available option was fitted to it. This is common in demonstrators, as it is used to "sell" the option to the customer thereby increasing the dealer's turnover. It is very rare to find an ex-demo car without at least a smattering of options. In this case, just about everything available was ticked which I worked out would have added over £2k to the new list price.

It will make the car easier to sell on when we're done with it, and a heck of a lot nicer to live with in the meantime.

The chances are it was driven hard from the off, and not run in properly, but then so are 99% of company cars, and few people bat an eyelid at buying these used. You'll probably find the condition was monitored a lot closer at a dealer than it would be in any normal company ownership.

If the price and condition are right, don't let ex-demo status put you off. The Fiesta never gave a day's trouble, and neither (touch wood) has the Scenic.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
ex demo car....? - Xileno {P}
I agree. My Megane is an ex-demo, has all the options ticked and has never given any trouble except a sticking sunroof. Not bad for 30000 miles.

An ex-demo is a good buy IMO, for all the reasons states.
ex demo car....? - daveyjp
I've had two ex demos and an ex hire car, all about 6 months old and with less than 10,000 miles. All from main dealers and no problems with any of them.

Demo and hire cars have lots of different drivers, better than one who has serious bad habits, are kept up to service, cleaned every time they are returned to the base and repaired fully prior to sale. You will get remainder of warranty too.
ex demo car....? - Blue {P}
I'd happily buy an ex-demo and I've worked in a new car sales situation so I know how they were treated.

Our demonstrators were well run in from new, the engines got a "lively" start to life that seemed to see them running extremely well. Probably the worst demo we ever sold was an ST170 Focus that had had the same saleman drive it every day, he drove very gently and as a result the engine hadn't loosened up very well. I have a feeling the new owners will have given it a good thrashing though.

Blue
ex demo car....? - P3t3r
I wouldn't buy one personally. I've seen how much the salesmen (some of them at least) abuse them. I've test driven some, and would never treat a car like it if it wasn't a demonstrator, I murdered one of them, but probably no more than the salesman did.

Giving new cars some revs is good, but it's not good when they're cold is it? From what I've seen, some demonstrators will quite often not get fully warmed up. One of the ones I drove only went down the road and back, I didn't really want to go any further though because it was so boring.
ex demo car....? - JH
I had an ex demo Xantia, sold by a Citroen dealer and registered to Citroen in Slough. It was fine, and a bargain.
JH
ex demo car....? - Avant
I think it can be a very good idea if you want something that loses its value fast, like a Ford or Vauxhall or a French car: there could be several thousands to be saved.

But you don't seem to save much on a BMW or Audi, and with these you may as well go for a new one.
ex demo car....? - rtj70
One thing to check (and I know the answer for ex lease cars) is bodywork checks.

Hire companies turn around means that's not likely and issue and maybe ex-demo. So stealing the thread a little...

Lease/hire companies do not pay for bodywork checks and save a couple quid per year per car. So lots overall, e.g. our lease company = £10 x 130,000!. But missing them = no warranty on bodywork/paint. My car on a 48 months lease us rusting and amusingly lease company after weeks and many calls on their part realise they either pay to fix or leave it and hope for the best at auction later this year. They chose the latter ;-) Now if this was a 36 or less months lease it was not rusting.... but you buy and find no bodywork warranty!

Smiling that the lease company practice is to factory order cars so my next might be January 2008 instead of October 2007. Trying to focus their mind with the rust issue ;-) And the fact it was originally on a 44 month and not 48 month lease. But there are UK stock cars available now... chasing this week.
ex demo car....? - Bill Payer
Few years ago I went to test drive a Peugeot 406 Exec with 2L petrol turbo engine. I walked around the car before driving off and found both front tyres bald. At 4000 miles!

I think a lot of "ex-demo" might be ex-management (hopefully good, I bought one of those) or ex-short tem lease - my neighbour gets a new Renault company car every few mths, he has to send each one back with under 10K miles. Not sure I'd fancy one that had been a hire car though.
ex demo car....? - hjd
I bought an ex-management/head office Peugeot 307 - less than a year old - and it was obviously a lemon/Fri afternoon car. I took it back to the supplying garage eventually as I was convinced it was unsafe to drive (usual Pug electrics problems, culminating in total loss of power on the A3. This in a car that was only just over a year old).
I bought a (last model) Civic - boring but reliable, and loads of interior space. Have never looked back.
ex demo car....? - Chris White
From my experience.

Owned a Volvo S40 2.0CD (with loads of extras) that was an ex-demo car. No problems with it at all. It was an automatic so not so easy to abuse, but if you press the 'Sport' button it would hold onto each gear until around 5,500 revs (rather good fun from standstill.......)

Chris
ex demo car....? - rtj70
Many years ago my employer used to replace company cars (Vauxhall only then?) every six months. You'd think drivers/employees happy? Not the ones I know. By 6 months all little issues sorted... and then you get a new one with problems!
ex demo car....? - Happy Blue!
ex-demo = courtesy cars, demonstrators, management cars etc etc.

Yesterday had my wife's car serviced so took a Hyundai Getz for the day as a courtesy vehicle. 1.1GSi model. It had air-con but no central locking! It was about six months old and had done 6,000miles and drove very very well for a 1.1. I was on the M60 at 85mph, nipping through congested streets and really enjoying myself. My only complaints were the gorilla like driving position and the low gearing. The modern supermini has really come since the last time I drove one about 20 years ago.

This adds up to saying that an ex-demo is generally a well run in car that should last you a long time.
ex demo car....? - jc2
Hard driving won't do a car any harm-abuse will-but I would rather buy a car from a "hard" driver than one that has never exceeded 25mph or done a journey longer than 3 ml.
By 6 months all little issues sorted... and then you get a new one with problems!

Yep, we forget what cars were like 20 yrs ago - I had a right row with my boss when he wanted me to change early so the MD's daughter could be given my car. Cars didn't change much year to year (we seem to back in that situation again, now almost every car has CD, a/c etc) so swopping just brought a new set of problems.
ex demo car....? - boxsterboy
I think it can be a very good idea if you want something that loses
its value fast like a Ford or Vauxhall or a French car: there could be
several thousands to be saved.
But you don't seem to save much on a BMW or Audi and with these
you may as well go for a new one.

Not necessarily so.

18 months ago I bought an 'ex-demo' Merc E320CDI estate that had done all of 300 miles in 1 month and saved myself £10,000 on list! Ex-demo in this case obviously meant 'pre-registration to get the dealers year-end bonus'.
ex demo car....? - whoopwhoop
Before all you "smuggies" start slapping yourselves on the back over what a great deal ex-demos are, consider this :

I recently went to a VW manufacturer organised track-day. The car I drove was a brand new Golf R32. When I got in it, the engine was stone cold (been standing all night in the pits). It had just 16 miles on the clock. 30 seconds after start-up it was bouncing off the rev-limited and continued to do so for 60 minutes of pure thrashing.

That car had 10 similar hour-long track sessions that day. At the end of the day the tyres were worn down to the limit on the edges.

A week later it was sitting on a VW dealers forecourt all polished up with a new set of tyres on, with just 400-odd miles on the clock as an "ex demonstrator". Someone thought they'd had a bargain, saving a couple of grand off the list price.

Wasn't just sporty Golfs either - there were Polo's, Passats, TDi's, a Phaeton, a Touareg, estates etc etc. A handful of cars suffered mechanical failure and didn't last till the end of the day. Two clutches were burnt out; one manual gearbox lost it's synchromesh, and one had a DSG failure.

Many manufacturers have similar such PR events. Do you REALLY want a car thats been mercilessly thrashed to bits round a track? The fact that so many cars failed suggests it takes it's toll on the components.
Yes, I've driven new Porsches in a similar way, and whilst none of them failed, I did wonder what would happen to the cars afterwards and how much damage had been done to the internals.

I still have my mental note never to buy a nearly-new low-mileage Porsche! (as if!!)

Many manufacturers have similar such PR events. Do you REALLY want a car thats been
mercilessly thrashed to bits round a track? The fact that so many cars failed suggests
it takes it's toll on the components.

Yes, but in the grand scheme of things the numbers of ex-track day vehicles on forecourts is tiny, you're just as likely to get one that has been thrashed like that by buying any second hand car, I took a Fiesta in as part-ex and at one year old almost every major mechanical component was showing signs of heavy wear, the front tyres were down to the carcass (in 10K miles!) and the rears were totally bald. That was soon on our forecourt with four new tyres on it and a good polish, although I think the DP thought better of it in the end and sent it to auction.

My dad saved £10K on the list of his CLK at 5 months old and is over the moon with the car (last name on the log book was a finance director for MB, they don't nomally have their name and home address on unless they're really the ones driving it), let the back slapping commence :-)

Blue
(last name on the log book was a
finance director for MB they don't nomally have their name and home address on unless
they're really the ones driving it)

Sorry, don't want to accuse you of being a liar, but I find that very hard to believe.

From a corporate security point of view, it would be a complete no-no and would breach compliance guidelines in multiple areas. I simply refuse to believe that Mercedes Benz would be so daft.

Of course, the dealer may have *told* you it was the Finance Director for MB..... ;-)
I can guarantee you that the name on the logbook was that of a finance director, we googled the name to check it. I'll double check with my dad about the home address but I'm positive it was on there.

I sold cars for long enough to not fall for the old "oh it was a director's car" line. ;-)

Blue
I simply refuse to believe that Mercedes Benz would be so daft.

I bought a 5mth old very loaded C270CDi estate from Mercedes-Bens Direct which was an ex-MB 'management' car. The car was registered to the drivers home address in the North West and he was clearly some sort of regional manager, as the Sat Nav had several of the North West MB dealers, plus MB UK in Milton Keynes, stored in its memory.
Full quote removed

Exactly billpayer the same with my brothers E270 CDI estate bought from MB Direct, down to the sat-nav destinations being MB dealers.
Of course the dealer may have *told* you it was the Finance Director for MB.....
;-)

Information such as this is freely available from Companies House. As an FD he will be on the board so his home details will be on the register of Directors.
Information such as this is freely available from Companies House. As an FD he will
be on the board so his home details will be on the register of Directors.

Of course - my name is there!
ex demo car....? - Peter S
Sorry don't want to accuse you of being a liar but I find that very
hard to believe.
From a corporate security point of view it would be a complete no-no and would
breach compliance guidelines in multiple areas. I simply refuse to believe that Mercedes Benz would
be so daft.
Of course the dealer may have *told* you it was the Finance Director for MB.....
;-)

Having once worked for a BMW Group company myself, I can vouch for the fact that all my 'company' cars were registered in my name and at my home address. The car scheme worked along the lines of selling me the car at a discount, lending me the money to buy the car, and buying the car back at 8,000 miles for the price they sold it to me for. We were judged against pretty stringent standards when returning the cars (which were 'refurbed' at the import centre in Thorne), so it wouldn't put me off buying one now. I know that Renault also did the same, so have no reason to doubt that MB would not take a similar approach approach...

Peter
The car scheme worked along the lines of selling me the car at a discount
lending me the money to buy the car and buying the car back at 8
000 miles for the price they sold it to me for.

My neighbour is a retired manager from a car factory and that sounds similar to his deal - no money actually changes hands. As he 'owns' the car, he doesn't pay any BIK tax. Sounds somewhat dodgy to me but it's a fantastic deal for him - it used to stop on retirement but they changed it to lifetime just as he left. His cars would be great buys.

As far as condition is concerned, my MB at 5mths and 6000 miles old looked to all intents & purposes brand-new, apart from a bizarre cut in the centre console as if something very heavy & sharp had been dropped on it. However that was invisibly repaired by MB Direct.
My wife (who has an eye for things) reckons no-one had ever sat in the back and the boot looked unused. You do see negative comments about Merc's, but I have to say that (touch wood) mine's been faultless so far - just coming up to 3tyrs old now.
ex demo car....? - rjr
Sorry don't want to accuse you of being a liar but I find that very
hard to believe.

It is true.

Some of schemes that MB run to provide their employees with cars involve the cars being registered in the employees name at their home address.

The schemes are all approved by HMRC.
ex demo car....? - Roly93
We have an ex-Hertz Ford Focus. 3.5 years on nothing has ever gone wrong with it, and the engine is the most rattle-free I have evr heard. It had done 12K in 8 months, which I think is why it is so good - obviously a lot of motorway work. If a car like this mark-free it should be okay elsewhere also.
ex demo car....? - Altea Ego
Nicoles clio was an ex rantal. Bought at 6 months/11k miles old.

was a very good car
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Personally I've seen the way hire & demo cars get treated.

I've seen brand new hire cars driven so hard they have overheated (and continued being driven).

I've seen brand new hire cars driven so hard, smoke poured from under the bonnet from the clutch burning.

I've seen brand new demo cars with the front brake discs glowing red hot.

The odds of getting one thats been treated like that are fairly low I agree, but still a distinct possibility. I would simply not touch one with a barge pole unless I was sure I was going to be selling it again before the warranty expired (and even then only if heavily discounted).
ex demo car....? - jc2
As I said higher up,HARD driving will not damage a car but abuse will-for a car to overheat,there must be something wrong-driving-even hard driving won't cause it and it won't cause clutch problems either.
ex demo car....? - P3t3r
As I said higher up HARD driving will not damage a car but abuse will-for
a car to overheat there must be something wrong-driving-even hard driving won't cause it and
it won't cause clutch problems either.

Where do you draw the line between hard driving and abuse? Surely abuse is just driving it VERY hard?

I wouldn't worry about thrashing a fully warmed up engine (as long as it's not in the red), but I would consider thrashing from cold to be abuse. Or there could be some less enthusiastic drivers going up hills in 4th or 5th gear. With test drives the engine is cost for almost all of the drive, and when I test a vehicle I want to test the performance too, ie. upto 5000+rpm!

Abuse of other things probably won't be as bad eg. gearbox, clutch, steering. I haven't noticed the salesmen rushing/abusing the gears.
Our demonstrators spent very little time out on test drives, their main purpose was as cheap company cars for the sales team, they were also lent out as courtesy cars and used to run general errands during the day.

Oh, I asked my dad if I was right about the address and I was, the V5 shows previous keeper's name and home address, and it is a home address 'cos we Google Earthed it out of morbid curiosity. :-)

Blue
ex demo car....? - flunky
Where do you draw the line between hard driving and abuse? Surely abuse is just
driving it VERY hard?

my friend says he likes to drive hire/courtesy cars along dual carriageways in 2nd gear
I've seen demo & hire cars driven from stone cold, on the rev limiter until the temp is past the red segment and the engine starts to misfire.

I've also seen them repetetively used for standing starts where they are rev'd to 7500 rpm and the clutch dumped. Eventually the clutch loses it's bite and starts to slip.

Don't ask me why, by the way - not something I approve of, or even see the point of... but happens nonetheless.
So I assume whoopwhoop you only buy brand new cars and collect them straight off the production line then drive them home yourself. Surely this is the only way you can be certain a car hasn't been abused.
No, I drive company cars where I don't give much of a hoot either way.
And if I didn't drive company cars, I'd by a genuine used car (i.e. one thats been owned privately). I certainly wouldn't buy a "demo" or a "hire" car which had been driven by dozens, if not hundreds of different drivers, none of which had any vested interests in the car.
ex demo car....? - Mapmaker
But, whoop whoop how would you know how the car had been driven. You wouldn't know if the dealer whom you bought it from second hand had taken it home at night and raced it - or if the original delivery driver had raced it prior to its first owner. And you don't know how its first owner treated it, whether he took it on a track day.

Tell you what, if you ever have to buy a car, buy a sub-£1000 car. 90% chance it will be fine, maximum exposure £1000. ;)
Oh dear MapMaker!

I would have thought any intelligent adult would be able to work out that the chances of a privately owned car (whose owner has a vested interest in it's resale value) having been abused is significantly lower than an ex-hire car which has had hundreds of drivers, none of whom give a hoot about it's resale value.

It's not rocket science fella!

Sure, there are no certainties in life..... but most sensible people minimise risks wherever possible.
You still don't know who the last owner but one was. And no, not all owner drivers are careful with their motors. Blue relates a 1 year old 10k Fiesta (?) which had been trashed by its owner.

And you don't know how it was treated by the supplying garage. Was it a pre-reg... or a demo? Who knows. I don't believe you can be so dogmatic. What about the 17 year old son who thrashed it without telling Daddy? You can never know.

Speaking personally, I don't thrash hire cars. I still have to put the petrol in and prefer 40mpg to 20.
As you seem to be missing the point completely, let me make an analogy :

A 10 year old Alfa stands more chance of breaking down than a 10 year old Honda. That doesn't mean that all 10 year old Alfa's break down, nor does it mean that all 10 year old Hondas are 100% reliable. But the odds are that the Alfa will break down more often. It's just the way it is.

In the same way. Out of 1000 HIRE cars, odds are that a significant number will have been abused. Not all, but many will.

Out of 1000 PRIVATELY OWNED cars, odds are that very few will have been abused. Some will, but relatively few.

It is all about RISK.

I've helped you all I can. If you can't understand that (or choose not to) then all the best fella. I've neither the time nor the inclination to try to convince you of what is essentially a basic concept! :-)
>It is all about RISK.

No, there's more to it than just risk. From a risk perspective alone you might be closer to reality on a probabilty basis.

But the potential rewards have been explained to you several times - not just by me - and there doesn't seem to be much point in being patronised by somebody who doesn't seem to want to understand.

And for those of you who think that because it is on expenses then it doesn't matter... you clearly don't care about your employer's bottom line and your bonus.
ex demo car....? - normd2
I've been known to cane the odd hire car and the petrol bill goes on expenses...
There's a certain smell you only get from a brand new car with 6 miles on the clock that you've had bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear.....allegedly
ex demo car....? - normd2
in the days I used to drive the M8 regularly every late July you'd see unregistered cars on trade plates doing 95mph between Edinburgh and Glasgow as dealers juggled stock before the new reg number change. So some poor souls were getting '2nd hand' cars and paying handsomely for the privelige. Then they'd probably be saying to themselves I must drive it gently 'cos it's new.....
Not convinced 95mph would be anything to be concerned about personally. Certainly not "abuse" per se...
ex demo car....? - Dalglish
some people are postulating here that ex-demo and/or hrie cars are likely to be abused and/or thrashed.

but they have failed to provide a shred of evidence to support this theory.

it is a totally baseless theory in my opinion.

p.s "postulate" :

dictionary.reference.com/browse/postulate :
5. something taken as self-evident or assumed without proof as a basis for reasoning.
p.s "postulate" :
dictionary.reference.com/browse/postulate :
5. something taken as self-evident or assumed without proof as a basis for reasoning.

p.s. "wrong" :

dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant
2. deviating from truth or fact; erroneous: a wrong answer.
3. not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person
ex demo car....? - P3t3r
some people are postulating here that ex-demo and/or hrie cars are likely to be abused
and/or thrashed.
but they have failed to provide a shred of evidence to support this theory.

Evidence? If you come with me on a test drive I can show you some evidence. I've done it, what more evidence do you need?

Having said that, I would be more gentle with a hire car, but not as gentle as I am with my car (or another privately owned car).
PS I stand corrected over the MB V5 issue. Apologies Blue.
quote P3t3r : I wouldn't buy one personally. I've seen how much the salesmen (some of them at least) abuse them. I've test driven some, and would never treat a car like it if it wasn't a demonstrator, I murdered one of them, but probably no more than the salesman did.

quote Bill Payer : Few years ago I went to test drive a Peugeot 406 Exec .... and found both front tyres bald. At 4000 miles!

quote hjd : I bought an ex-management/head office Peugeot 307 - less than a year old ..... I took it back to the supplying garage eventually as I was convinced it was unsafe to drive

quote whoopwhoop : It had just 16 miles on the clock. 30 seconds after start-up it was bouncing off the rev-limited and continued to do so for 60 minutes of pure thrashing...mechanical failure and didn't last till the end of the day. Two clutches were burnt out; one manual gearbox lost it's synchromesh, and one had a DSG failure.

quote flunky : my friend says he likes to drive hire/courtesy cars along dual carriageways in 2nd gear

quote normd2 : I've been known to cane the odd hire car and the petrol bill goes on expenses...
There's a certain smell you only get from a brand new car with 6 miles on the clock that you've had bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear.....allegedly

Sorry Dalglish, if you choose to bury your head and ignore the evidence, thats fine... doesn't mean it isn't there if you open your eyes!

... Sorry Dalglish, if you choose to bury your head and ignore the evidence, thats fine ..

clearly your idea of what constitutes "evidence" is not shared by me.

dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible
easily deceived or cheated.

easily tricked or fooled
Example: He is so gullible that he believes everything you tell him.

Synonyms: credulous, trusting, naive, innocent, simple, ..

Sorry - what do you expect as evidence in a public discussion forum Dalglish?

If numerous seperate individuals all reporting having seen hire cars being abused doesn't constitute evidence, then your wearing blinkers. Either way, I really couldn't care less. Enjoy your retort - it won't be read by me ;-)
ex demo car....? - Dynamic Dave
If numerous seperate individuals all reporting having seen hire cars being abused doesn't constitute evidence then your wearing blinkers.

Ok, so evidence of abuse, but is there evidence that ex hire / lease / demo cars when sold on to Joe Public are anymore unreliable, problematic, use copious amounts of oil, etc, than when a car is bought new or 2nd hand from a private owner?
in reply to whoopwhoop:
If numerous seperate individuals all reporting having seen hire cars being abused doesn't constitute evidence ...

the word is "anectdotal" Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis
other possible fallacies in the arguments include: post hoc ergo propter hoc, faulty generalisation, biased sample, etc.. an example of this type of faulty reasoning is of p3t3r, as quoted below

in reply to p3t3r:
Evidence? If you come with me on a test drive I can show you some evidence. I've done it, ..

because some people behave like vandals (i.e. disrespect for other people's property) does not mean that the majority of the population behave like vandals. in fact, if they are like me, they will treat other people's property with greater respect than they do thier own. all to do with good manners and a reflection on one's upbringing and/or parental care.

ex demo car....? - Chris White
Just put my twopennith(?) in,

With the amount of new vehicles being bought on lease plans and what not (with credit so easy to come by these days), what's to say that someone who knows he's only going to be owning the car for 3-yrs and then handing it back is going to be treating it well?

That person's got no vested interested in keeping the car for longer than he has to and then onto the next car (but this would be listed as a private person.....)

In the last 6 months wouldn't some of you treat it the same as you would a hire car or demonstrator?

Chris

PS I've got to say that never driven anyone elses vehicle any different to mine. I have too much mechanical sympathy for that. Is there actually any fun in bouncing a car off the rev limiter for any length of time?
No worries Whoop Whoop, I would have been skeptical too. :-)

Blue