Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - Lounge Lizard
My 1992 Volvo 240SE haas just passed the 150,000 mile mark, following 2.5 years of ownership, bought for £400 (though about a £1000 spent in repairs first year, not much since). I've enjoyed care-free motoring with it; i.e. I don't care if I scrape it against the odd wall or if someone crashes a shopping-trolley into it in the Asda car-park. And, hopefully, no self-respecting car-thief would be seen dead in it: that's if car-thieves have self-respect.

I bought in when my former Toyota Enima (sounds to me like a medical procedure) failed its MOT on something that would cost too much to repair; and the mechanic (who I know personally) said "'ere y'a mate, wot about this Volvo we've got round the back of garage?" (used as garage run-around). I have definitely had my money's'orth out of it.

It's deffo time to get a different car. and I am prepared to spend up to £15000, but would rather spend no money whatsoever as I like looking at the numbers in my bank account. However, I don't mind splashing out if there's something I really want (yer can't take it wiv yer when yer die, etc etc).

The only car I have seriously considered is a Jaguar XK8 hard-top, I have always liked Jaguars and I like the look of the XK8, it's soooo curvaceous & filled out; like a voluptuous woman with 'child-bearing hips'. Phwoarrrr. I would either get one for about £12 to £15K; or one for about £9K and spend a few grand on its next services, probably at a Jaguar main dealer. This is what I did a few years ago when I bought a 3-year old XJ6 3.2 - my bestest most-loved ever car.

I don't want to get, say, a Mondeo cos I think they're too 'middle-of-the-road sensibly conventionalistical'. However, reliability is very important because I get very annoyed indeed if my car breaks down and I'm late for work / appointments.

I've also thought about a new(ish) Mini Cooper.

I'm DEFINITELY NOT a tree hugger but don't fancy a 4x4; despite the attraction of putting 2 fingers up to the environmentalists.

Does anyone have any suggestions, either for particular cars or for car-choosing strategies?
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - gmac
You don't say how many miles per year you do, or how long you plan on keeping the car.

If it's not many business miles per year then I would go for a classic air cooled 911.
Not much, 5000 to 10,000 per year.

More like 5000.

Only 3 miles to work, all other journeys are 'discretional'.
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - stunorthants26
Volvo C70 Coupe? Just an idea, I always rather liked em.
>>...how long you plan on keeping the car.

Errr....Dunno, hadn't thought about that.
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - Avant
You could get a new Mini Cooper well within budget, or a nearly-new Coooer S - or maybe think about a 2-year-old Golf GTI, ot whatever the hot Focuses or Astras were called 2 or so years ago. You could have fun with one of these, but most should be reliable.
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - adverse camber
very low mileage and 3 mile journeys will kill any decent car - 3 miles is barely warming up. I would spend the 15K on something else.

perhaps a pushbike and a 911.

>>a pushbike

UR avin a larf arntcha?
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - scrapmetal
youd get a nice merc 230 clk for that money
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - Westpig
you can get some right deals on the S Type nowadays as the XF is looming.....the diesel SE is apparently the one to have......
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - daveyjp
Modern diesel with EGR valves, soot filters etc forget it for 3 miles a day, they don't like it.
Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - adverse camber
>> >>a pushbike

>>UR avin a larf arntcha?

No.

If your daily commute is 3 miles then you are not going to do any car much good. It isnt going to get properly warmed up.

Three miles is a very, very easy cycle - unless your home and work are at the top and bottom of a steep hill.

You suggest that you are not in a hurry to spend money on a commute wagon. So don't. Spend the money on something else, or on a fun vehicle. But don't ruin the decent car doing 3 mile journeys.

Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - freakybacon
3miles? come on! nowt on a pushbike! Think of the health benefits! Think o the extra pies and chip butties you could stuff down!I do a 10 mile round trip on pushbike every working day! Decent bike for work(carrera subway with full mudguards?) and any toy u like for the rest! Any decent mainstream classic would be cool! Hey- i was at work today- due another chip butty!

Can't make up me mind wot car to buy - Stuartli
If you do intend to get a Jaguar (XK8 hard-top), all of the company's models registered on an H-plate onwards are generally better built and more reliable as the Ford influence began to take effect.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by