Punto TD60 - running problem - astralpilot
My 1997 Punto has developed a fault where the engine is reluctant to rev. It's hard to start then it requires about half throttle pedal travel just to idle and foot to the floor just doesn't make it much difference.

So far I've checked the cam belt is timed correctly.
Timed up the pump with tool and dial gauge.
Changed fuel filter
Checked all fuel lines for air leaks
Checked glow plugs

It's a bosch pump and is prewtty much factory sealed

HELP!!
Punto TD60 - running problem - madf
Blocked cat or exhaust?
madf
Never thought of that, It has a Cat no that they normally do much on thes old IDI diesels. Will have a check

Thanks
I have to add when it is running it makes lots of white smoke

thanks

Chris
Nope exhaust is clear, The pump on this model has a solenoid on the side called a KSB device, when should this get powered up.

And how does this type of pump enrich the mixture when the turbo spools up as there is no pipe connecting the manifold to the pump like other cars I've had.

//Chris
Punto TD60 - running problem - piston power
Air filter blocked or air take up pipe ( usually near front of car) easy get blocked and would have these symptoms, also worth removing exhaust from manifold to make sure not blocked.. good luck.
Punto TD60 - running problem - Spospe
You say "lots of white smoke" when running?

Is this indeed white smoke, or steam?

Punto's are well known for cylinder-head gasket failure (my daughter has had two), so perhaps your problem is a water leak into the engine. Have you checked the coolant level? Just a thought.

Punto TD60 - running problem - bell boy
punto deisels are evil and horrible ,your car/van sounds like the h/g is indeed gone going ,why not do the decent thing and trip a decent motor trader into taking this evil motor off your hands , remember once offloaded you have SOGA on your side to bankrupt the trader
good luck

Thanks for the replies,

The white smoke is definitely unburnt fuel, and the fact that i have removed the radiator so no waters in the car at the mo.

This pump has a electric solenoid on the side that advances the timing, I belive it's this as it never has any power going to it and i belive it should on a cold start.

The Intake is clear and exhaust removed in front of the cat so they are clear.

//Chris
Punto TD60 - running problem - AndyT
Why don't you arrange a temporary supply to the solenoid, and see the difference. I'd presume it's only meant to be switched on for a cold start.
I tried l that last night and it started and ran perfectly, So now i Have to figure out which sensor it is as they both seen to vary resistance with heat and grounding them doesn't affect the overheat warning lamp

//Chris
Punto TD60 - running problem - AndyT
Sensor?? Most glowplugs are also used for post-heat emission purposes, anything from several seconds to a couple of minutes. You could try wiring in a fused feed to the solenoid from their circuit.
Also the td60 has a low pressure turbo type set-up, really just to cram more air in, again I believe for emissions, not power, so no need to inject extra fuel.
Punto TD60 - running problem - Another John H
There is a cheap "Lindsay Porter" book which covers six different FIAT models, including the 1697 TD diesel Punto. - ISBN 1-899238-42-5

Looking at the (terrible print quality) diagram there is a coolant temperature sensor (207) in series with the power feed to "K.S.B. electomagnets" (208). It goes back to the fuel system relay (218) via a connector block (33).

The wire you want might be orange (c).

At the top of the diagram it describes "K.S.B." as the fuel injection cold advance device.

Grotty connector block or CTS failure, probably.