Road Tax Position On Windscreen - wazza
Common place for the position of the road tax disc on the windscreen is at the bottom corner on the passenger side. I have seen some cars with the disc in the central top position near the rear view mirror. Is there a law that states where to position the road tax disc? I know it should be in view and not obstructed.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - Fullchat
Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994. States that the Excise Licence should be positioned on the nearside of the windscreen and be unobscured. On motorcycles they should be placed on the nearside and to the front of the machine. Failure to do so is an offence of Failing to Display an Excise Licence' which could be dealt with by a £30 fixed penalty ticket.
--
Fullchat
Thanks for the info
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - henry k
>>I know it should be in view and not obstructed.
>>
I always understood that a vehicle when parked in the street should have the pasenger side ( on a RHD) adjacent to the kerb thus with the tax disc on the left of the windscreen it could be inspected safely from the pavement.

( this parking requirement is law in South Africa as I was once politely informed and was saved a ticket)
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - Cliff Pope
That's only at night, isn't it?
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - Mapmaker
>only at night

And in areas with no street lighting, isn't it?

Walk around Westminster and cars are parked facing both ways. I have NO doubt that Westminster's parking attendants who are well renowned for being the sharpest in the profession (who else would lift a terrorist carbomb from outside a nightclub?) would ticket all cars facing the wrong way.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - Hamsafar
I wonder if it's al-right to install it at the top where the windscreen has a tinted gradation? It would look neater.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - boxsterboy
You see some cars in Europe doing this, and it does look neater, but it would seem to fall foul of above mentioned regs.
I know someone who car a car through mobility. On the road tax disc it says 'disabled' in the area where we normally find the cost of the disc. What she has done is place the disc very low on the screen so that the tinted area covers the area where is says disabled. reason being is that she does not want people to know she has got the car through mobility. Told her that it is illegal.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - hypocrite
When I did an advanced driving course one of the drives was with an ex traffic (sorry roads policing sorry back to normal work due to cuts) BIB who I asked about this as my tax disk on the MGF is about 2 in from the centre line of the windscreen, displaced to the LHS. I explained that that made it a lot harder to grab when the top was down, whereas someone with junior Orang-Utang length arms could easily grab it from the extreme LHS when the windows were up and the top down. The slope of the windscreen meant that they would have to have (give up on animal similes) longer arms.

He didn't have a problem with it. It is on the left - although not al the way over and can be read from the kerb.

Hope this helps,

Simon
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - Bromptonaut
IIRC the tax class "disabled" is linked to entitlement to DLA for mobility but is not limited to motability cars - can get disc foc for a private motor as well if DLA claimant prefers that route.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - runboy
Wazza - a tax disc showing disabled refers to the taxation class of the vehicle and in no way makes reference to a motability car. If you are in receipt of the DLA you can have your car taxation class changed to disabled and benefit from no VEL charge. So that £50k Jag you won in a competition can be classed as disabled in the taxation department and no-one would suggest that would be a Motability supplied vehicle!
I understand that a 'disabled' marked road tax is a separate issue from a mobility car. It was just that she wanted people to know that she alone financed the car and not through the mobility scheme. Just want an improved status within her friends.
Road Tax Position On Windscreen - runboy
Thought as much. How many friends scrutinise a tax disc though?