1996 Megane 1.4 sudden cutout - Mike H
My son took our 1996 Megane 1.4 to the station this morning, and while manouevring into a parking space it died with no warning. I went over and tried to restart it (as he had) and it was as dead as a dodo. Called out the breakdown people, who turned the key and.....it started straight away. The theory is that it was the immobiliser. Never having had this problem before in the three years I've had it, I'm looking for some advice, experience, or comments as to whether it's likely to happen again, and whether there is some magic cure (like a specific connection that I can check) that can cure it. I usually park it in the same car park every weekday, so I don't suspect a transmitting device (e.g. mobile phone mast) which has activated the immobilser.

Any ideas?
Seeing a new thread today on the crank position sensor for a Clio, could this fault on my Megane be a CPS problem? Certainly the immobiliser warning light in the speedo wasn't flashing, which it does when car is immobiled & you try to start it, and the fault occurred while the engine was running.
1996 Megane 1.4 sudden cutout - Simon
It is unlikely to be the crank sensor as normally when they fail whilst the engine is running the ECU will compensate for the lost signal and the engine will continue to run albeit probably not 100% well. If a crank sensor fails whilst the engine is not running then normally they will turn over and over but will not just fire up at all.

In your sons case then unless he stalled it whilst manoeuvring it is unlikely to be a crank sensor problem.
1996 Megane 1.4 sudden cutout - welsh dragon
hi mate just a sugestion..make sure the oil is toped up because if the cam sensor dosnt detect oil or oil presure it will cut out i think it started back up after a while because it alowed the oil to settle..ive had the same problem befor with a car and a lawnmower..try it..
hope it helps mate..little suggestion... dont buy a renault..lol kidding..aslong as you look after them like you should do..they will look after you..oil and water keep your eye on mate
thanx
scott jenkins..
The oil's fine, changed it about 2 months ago - and I keep an eye on the water ;-) Thanks for the tip.

It's been a good car, no probs apart from the odd bit of wear and tear, taken a bit of stick from my son when he was learning to drive but it lived through it!
1996 Megane 1.4 sudden cutout - Screwloose
Mike

90+ percentage chance that it's the crank sensor. They suffer from heat-soak and can cut it dead.