What Daily Commuter Car? - woolwich_gunner
'Afternoon all,

Sorry for my first post to be a question but...

Will shortly be changing jobs to include 100 mile each way journey (Mon-Fri). Employer will be paying £380 per month flat rate for fuel, but purchasing and all other costs for the vehicle will come down to me. I am hoping to pick something up for about £5K and have been looking at Pug 406 HDI's - pref an 02/52 plate with approx 60k miles. Any other suggestions or is this a reasonable way to spend my money?

Am also busy renovating our house at the moment so an estate would come in very handy!

Cheers all.

John
What Daily Commuter Car? - gmac
That's 45k miles per year just for work, not including renovations on your house, holidays etc...
You'll also need to be getting 55mpg for your £380 per month.

I'm trying to think of something that will give you turn key reliability with that kind of schedule. You don't say how long this car has to last ?
Might be worth looking for something cheaper with a view to changing every 12 to 18 months with that kind of mileage.
I know that I'll never get the 55 MPG but I only need to do this for a year (incidentally I will only do the journey approx 8 out of 12 mths)- I just want something that I won't worry about starting on those cold winter mornings! Should I be setting my sights lower?
PS I should have mentioned - this is a second car. We have a Golf for shopping, visits, etc.
What Daily Commuter Car? - islandman
a friend does about a 75 mile each way trip in company car with his employer paying for fuel.
He has a had a few cars over time but I recall he spoke very highly of a Passat ------ 105 BHP diesel which returned between 50/60 MPG on the trip. You could easily get a decent estate one on your budget. ---- As far as I can recall reliabilty wasn't an issue & his subsequent car an Audi A3 diesel was less economical.
What Daily Commuter Car? - bell boy
100 miles a day 5 days a week 4 weeks minimum holiday works out at 24,000 miles a year in my head and on my calculator
or did i miss something

subliminal message....................coming

buy a rover as these seem quite reliable
or a renault
did anyone mention vw?

;-)
100 miles each way!>> 100 miles a day 5 days a week 4 weeks minimum holiday works out at
24 000 miles a year in my head and on my calculator
or did i miss something

What Daily Commuter Car? - local yokel
bell boy:

"to include 100 mile each way journey (Mon-Fri)" - which sounds like 200m/day, 1k/week.

Do you plan to keep the car after the year is up?
Wasn't going to keep it.
What Daily Commuter Car? - movilogo
Buy a Hyundai Accent/Elantra diesel. Should be within budget and will have still manufacturer's warranty left for a year or so :)

What Daily Commuter Car? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Yes you did. OP referred to 100 miles each way so 200 miles per day. 1000 per week ~48,000 per year!
BTW my 100ps Passat PDI estate gets 42mpg at motorway speeds, well down on the figures mentioned.
oooooooooopppppppppssss

thanks guys--------scuttles off back to work :-(
What Daily Commuter Car? - gmac
OK, so 8 months, take off four weeks for holidays and bank holidays etc... still makes around low 30k miles.
You could aim for a four year old Hyundai with less than 70k on the clock (if it's 100k miles five year warranty) and be covered.
Will you be getting 12x380 fuel allowance even if you only use 8x ?
What Daily Commuter Car? - Gromit {P}
55mpg and reliable suggests an old-shape Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi in 110bhp tune to me. A friend runs a '99 one as a runabout once he got fed up of feeding his Pajero's drink habit when not using it for work (he's a landscaper).

Basic spec, cheap to buy and run, previously reported trouble free well beyond 200,000 miles here in the backroom. Beloved of taxi drivers across Europe, and with good cause.
What Daily Commuter Car? - 659FBE
If you've got room to park the thing, the Skoda Superb is cheaper than the Octavia second hand beyond about 2 years. The one to have for this job is the 1.9 130 PS diesel. Avoid the later 2.0 engine as the EGR system is prone to getting blocked. The economy of my 1.9 is as good as a Golf with the same engine and there's much more space in it.

As with the Passat, the Superb is a wonderful long distance car - just ask nicely if you want it to go fast round a corner.

If you are "only" going to put 35k on it, I'd be in the market for a high miles three year old car that's already done it depreciation. Get Joe Dowd (Auction buyer) to find you something that's done at least 125 k miles.

The miles you put on won't cost much, and the next buyer will have a four year old car with 160k, that with luck will look like a 60k.

Do some careful costings on Excel - you may find that a diesel does not actually save you any money overall.
while your reasoning is solid local yokel i think if i had to do 200 miles a day in a 125k ex rep car i think i would go on the king cole
I don't see why the extra 60k makes any difference, except to the sticker price? No car worth buying should be worn out by that mileage, esp. a diesel.
No car worth buying should be worn out by that mileage esp. a diesel.

i dont like cars with 100,000 plus as the seat is usually past its best and i know it would give me a bad back,nothing to do with reliability or residuals its all to do with discs, backbones and comfort ,thanks ;-)
Yes i know some cars are better than others
and all my commercials are well past with no problems however i changed the seat in the 141,000 transit for a low mileage one for exactly this reason.........comfort
What Daily Commuter Car? - pendulum
Got my ZX with 101k on the clock, nowt wrong with the seats at all, no visible wear on any of the seats and they're comfortable enough for my 80 mile a day commute. I often drive 150+ miles a day and no probs so far.

I had 5k tops to spend on a car when I bought my ZX 1.9TD for £750. Why spend 5k on a reliable comfortable motor when you can spend under 1k and leave the other 4k earning interest?
What Daily Commuter Car? - Vansboy
Think I'd go with your first suggestion, but an estate & you could choose from 3 of these at Bedford BCA on Thursday.

This is the high mile one, so £3600ish. Or less, 'cos they're WHITE!!!

PEUGEOT 406 2.0 HDI 110 S, 5 Doors, Estate, Diesel, Manual Transmission, Registered 21-10-2003
Registration EO53RFY
Registered 21-10-2003
Colour WHITE
Mileage 94,593
Equipment ABS Alloy Wheels Climate Control Compact Disc Player Drivers Airbag Electric Windows Passenger Airbag Power Assisted Steering SATNAV System SATNAV Disc SATNAV Remote Satellite Navigation Syst Stereo

The estate will help with house doing up, too!

But where will you find,

A - the time to do the miles & work/live/eat/sleep
B - the energy to do the house up.

VB

>i dont like cars with 100,000 plus as the seat is usually past its best

So you get on Ebay, buy a newer seat from a breaker for £100, and put the old one in the loft for when you sell the car. A lot cheaper than spending £2k more on the car.
What Daily Commuter Car? - Brian Tryzers
Pardon my puzzlement, LY, but why would you want to hang on to a seat from a car you no longer own?
WdB I said put it in the loft for when you sell the car! Meaning that you can put it back in the car when you sell it - as it might not be the same colour/fabric etc.
What Daily Commuter Car? - Brian Tryzers
Ah, so you weren't suggesting keeping the serviceable replacement after swapping back the knackered one to sell on? I hadn't thought of the mismatched decor - I suppose you could leave the next owner to decide which to use.

Many years ago, my brother had a 1979 Fiat Mirafiori whose driver's seat had collapsed; so the previous owner had simply had the front seats swapped over. Since it was a two-door, it made reaching the tipping lever to get into the back rather tricky - but then I always felt that any reason for not getting into the thing was probably a good one.
What Daily Commuter Car? - Paul Robinson
OP do consider depreciation and potential repair costs carefully. It's easy to focus on looking for something that will do the mpg so that your monthly allowance covers your fuel costs, spend your own £5K on it, have a few repair bills and at the end of the year find that your car is only work £2.5K.

If finding something that will do the job for the least cost is your priority, you may find you will achieve that better by using some of your money to subsidise your fuel costs and choosing something that will loose much less in depreciation and repairs.

I expect Aprilia will be along to tell you that if you spend £1500 on a six year old 2.0 petrol Primera, it will still do 40 mpg on a run, will cost very little to service, is highly unlikely to break down and you can hardly loose much in depreciation when you only spent £1500 on it in the first place. It's a powerful argument, other people will tell you that you should be able to do the same with a Mondeo.