Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - stokie
While checking the oil level I managed to break the dipstick tube about 1 inch from the top (I think the plastic has gone brittle). Now oil is leaking from the area of the break.

Any thoughts on how to replace the tube? The tube appears to go directly into the engine block but doesn't appear to have anything on the end to apply a spanner to. Has anyone done this job?

Thanks for any advice
Stewart
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - Peter D
There is nothing in the manual regarding that pipe. I suggest you purchase a new one it it will become clear. It may have a tread and ir screwed in or may be just an interference fit and an 'O' rind. However getting the old one out is no so easy, if it is an interefence one then find a drill or rod that is the same OD and the plastic pipe ID now wrap some tape around it so it can not fall through the tube into the sump. Insert the shank of the drill or peice of rod so when you grip to either turn or pull the pipe does not collapse and break. Regards Peter
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - PeterRed
While my dispstick tubes are OK, I've managed to pull the handles off 2 VAG dipsticks - a 2000 Passat and a 1993 Audi 80. Maybe they're not designed to be used very often....... Typical cheap engineering of VAG cars since the bean counters took control.
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - Screwloose
Stewart

Don't fret; they get so weak that, even if you're careful, they still snap.

You just get the yellow plastic piece from VAG - IIRC they're about 99p and they just slide on to the metal bit. Two sorts on a 1.8 of that year; so get the right size for your dipstick.
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - ggh1
GSF also sell this part.
Audi A4 (1996) 1.8 dipstick tube - stokie
Many thanks, I've bought the part from Audi (£2.03), as you say it's a 2 inch long plastic tube that should push on the end of the metal tube

BTW managed to wrench off and break the plastic under engine shield at the weekend reversing off a field at the car boot. Audi want £63 inc vat. Think I might live without it! Plus allows me to access the oil filter for the first oil change in 2 years! (feeling guilty about that).