Zafira alarm problem - fordprefect
Son's 1999 2.0 diesel Zafira alarm keeps going off for no obvious reason which is, understandably, driving him mad. (His neighbours too, of course)
It sets itself automatically on locking the car and when it goes off he says it can only be silenced by starting the engine.

His usual trusted indy hasn't a fix, is a Vauxhall dealer likely to be able to find and fix the cause or alternatively disable the alarm? (He is strapped for cash so doesn't want to go the Vauxhall dealer route without some idea of likely cost/chance of success).
( Nor do I as I would probably have to pick up the bill!)

Zafira alarm problem - Altea Ego
Bonnet switch is always a favourite.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Bonnet switch is always a favourite.

Thanks for the quick response TVM, I will get him to check that!
Zafira alarm problem - Number_Cruncher
>>He is strapped for cash so doesn't want to go the Vauxhall dealer route

Pity, because plugging Tech2 in, and reading what has been going on with the ATWS control unit live data is probably the best way to track this fault, rather than poke and hope, which could easily cost more in the long run.

Number_Cruncher
Zafira alarm problem - Screwloose
fp

It's of the age that the back-up ni-cads in the "power sounder" could be U/S. Does it ever bleep at him when he turns on the ignition?
Zafira alarm problem - Ruperts Trooper
I'd go for powersounder battery failure - my Astra had 3 in six years but most last longer than 2 years.

The bleeps come when the ignition is turned off but of course if you don't take the key out straight away the ICE stays on so you don't hear the bleeps.
Zafira alarm problem - topbloke
def the power sounder batteries u/s but you cant get them seperate you will have to bye a new power sounder as they a sealed unit , i have heard of people opening them up making up a battery pack and reassemble but do not know how difficult or how successful it was
Zafira alarm problem - Ruperts Trooper
I've heard of a couple of people who've opened it up, replaced the batteries and resealed it but given it's location (I won't disclose publicly) even factory ones get damp in so resealing is risky.

If you try this, don't get the batteries until you open it up, they do vary!
Thanks to all for your help, exactly the expertise I hoped for!
Zafira alarm problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Also worth checking the "pop-on" connectors to the glass pane breakage sensors located on the rear load area side windows.Poor connections here can cause false alarms.
Zafira alarm problem - Dynamic Dave
def the power sounder batteries u/s
i have heard of people opening them up making up a battery pack....

The following is for an Astra, but as the Zafira is based on the Astra, I'm guessing things won't be all that different.

www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96753

Scroll down to the "In The Wheel Arches" listings, and click on 'How To'..... Replace the Power Sounder.

Zafira alarm problem - Orange
I have read this with great interest as i'm experiencing exactly the same (2002 2.0 Diesel) and am at a loss. Always strapped for cash so loath the idea of spending GBP 68 at Vauxhall just for them to have a look. Will test the Bonnet Switch and check out other suggestions, however would be equally interested in (hopefully positive) feedback from you (fordprefect) on how your son got on !
Thanks again to all for helpful suggestions, son is working long hours this week so may not get to check the items mentioned till the weekend, when he does I will feed back results.
Zafira alarm problem - Notsure
We have had this same problem twice now on our 2000 Zafira DTi.

The first time was 2 years ago, and it was indeed the power sounder at fault. Once replaced quietness reigned until May this year when the Zafira started giving us early morning calls again. Back at the main dealer the car was given the full tech 2 treatment and a number of fault codes showed up. However the sounder was pronounced OK. The codes were cleared, and we were advised by the dealer to shut the dashboard air vents whenever we locked the car, and leave the heater set to windscreen. Although initially sceptical I then remembered HJ giving this advice in similar situations.

We now do this after the last run of the day and the car has been fine ever since.

Just my 2 bobs worth!