Ford Ka 97 clatter - b6een
Recently acquired 1997 Ford Ka 1.3 Endura, was running fine for about 5wks with noisy tappets, it then developed a clattering sound from around about the rocker cover, Its off the road now and I have just adjusted the tappets in accordance with a previous thread, also with the valve clearances marked on the rocker cover, jack up the offside front wheel put in 2nd then turn wheel until the first valve rises to its fullest point, inlet I think? then turn wheel until inlet lowers and exhaust valve rises, repeat with valve 2 then reverse for 3 & 4, but the tappets seem even noisier and the clattering noise is more frequent?

Have I adjusted the tappets correctly?
could the intermittent clatter be the exhaust manifold?
Ford Ka 97 clatter - injection doc
sounds to me like the camshaft & followers are worn out, common problem i'm afraid before ford modifyied these in 98. Once the followers start to wear they wear very rapidly. If they are really bad you can tell by how little some of the valves will open by watching how far the spring compresses
Ford Ka 97 clatter - b6een
Is it a big job to fix? do you have to replace the camshaft? and the followers (dont know what these are) and can would you purchase reconditioned parts?
Ford Ka 97 clatter - injection doc
Tis a big job! Those that are brave & patience fiddle about & change in situ but ideally engine out & turned upside down. Cam kit quite dear as well. If the car is a prize example & you want it to last a few years I always put a ford lump in complete as new lump modified & ford from time to time have done them out at under £500 not fitted & at least you know where yoy stand with a new engine