Roof bars / racks - David Horn
I've discovered my bike won't fit inside my Accord unless I put it in through the back door, which is a touch inconvenient and costing me £20 a time because I keep bending the mech hanger. Local Honda dealer advises that I can get a set of roof rails for £68 + VAT, which I can fit a bike carrier to.

a) Does this seem like a good price?

b) Will they fall off?

c) If I buy a bike carrier, do I need anything else (additional rails / bars etc)?

Thanks,

David.
Roof bars / racks - henry k
a). This seems a reasonable price. Honda brand bars ?
Halfords do cheap bars and used to stock Paddy Hopkirk brand.

Try search for Roof bars. This will give you a good list of suppliers and they will also have bike carriers on their site. e.g.
www.roofbox.co.uk
www.autorack.co.uk/roof_racks.php
www.roofrackshop.co.uk/

Thule are a brand that is well respected but not cheap.
www.thule.com/Thule/Page____5206.aspx
They make two types Traditional & Rapid.
Rapid are the newer, smarter model that can be lockable and you can buy lighter "Aero" bars.
For Thule you need bars, foot pads and adapter kit.

Have a look on Ebay and you will see a few other brands.

Consider buying S/H off Ebay? I was lucky and bought my Thule bars for £5.50.

b) NO.

c) You buy a set of roof bars and attach the bike carrier to the bars. www.thule.com/Thule/Page____45916.aspx
The most common type have a sort of V or U shaped trough that the wheels go in and each wheel is strapped to the trough. Then there is an arm that hinges up and a clamp at the end is secured to one of the bike frame tubes.
I bought a very very simple, very very cheap one and it worked fine over many trips up and down the M3,M25, M40 to and from UNI with sons bike, a roof tray (rack) loaded with stuff.
I actually paid £10 ( special offer) instead of £20 about 5 years ago so you can see it was not high tech.
tinyurl.com/2vp8x8 shows this type but a better make, new, for £28
With this type you just heave the bike up, clamp the frame, tighten the ties around the wheels and that is that.

There are other designs of roof mounted bike carriers, some of which the front wheel is removed and the fork ends are bolted to the carrier.

WARNING. BEWARE height restrictions in car parks or as in my case avoid trees overhanging a drive or carpark. Believe me it is very easy to forget ( admits to having previously had a roof rack "puncture" a HRW :- 0> )