Help me decide- Volvo S40 / Peugeot 406 - tkerby
I currently own a Volvo S40 1.8i 1998 petrol saloon with the GDI injection and have been offered a 1999 Peugeot 406 Diesel Turbo 2l estate. Both have some problems (which you may be able to help me diagnose) and I'd like some help choosing which to keep. The Peugeot would be given to us free and we could sell either car and keep the money. The Peugeot has 60k and the Volvo 70k on the clock.

Volvo
-------
- Small amount of rust blistering in petrol cap and gutters
- Judder at arond 70mph on some road surfaces (suspect Kwik Fit didnt adjust the tracking so well when they fitted my new tires last year as the wear appears uneven)
- Some loss of power sinec I first got the car 3 years ago. Mainly at around 40mph - there is a slight feeling of deceleration at a point when accelerating as if their is either a slight gdi issue, or perhaps a spark plug misfiring (given the mileage, I chose not to replace the plugs at the last service as the cost was £300
- One headlight has loose connection
- I've recently put new pads and discs on the car all round, tyres are within 2 years old
- Fuel consumption around 32 mpg urban

Peugeot
-----------
- Feels slightly less responsive than volvo and seat not as comfortable (my general comments) although the estate boot is certainly more useful
- Loud clicking noise coming from footwell (or perhaps engine) when driving. Lasts around half an hour before quietening. Regular sound, almost like an indicator relay
- Other issues unknown - is there anything in particular I should check for?
- Fuel consumption likely to be better than volvo but lack of a computer means I have no indicator right now

Cheers

Help me decide- Volvo S40 / Peugeot 406 - tkerby
I forgot to mention - the Peugeot has a really high clutch with my knees almost touching the steering wheen to unengage yet the Volvo has a clutch that needs pushed all the way to the floor - is this a sign of gear failure in either car? Additionally, the Peugeot gearstick appears to move around whilst driving and has slack in gear when moved left or right. THe volvo sometimes doesnt catch into reverse unless the clutch is lifted slightly
Help me decide- Volvo S40 / Peugeot 406 - DP
I ran a W registration 406 HDi (90PS) as a company car for six months, and it was a dreadful car. Constant faults from the second I picked it up to the second it went back. In 6 months:

Complete instrument panel replacement due to gauges jumping around and miles winding onto the odometer when the car was stationary.
Replacement clutch when the rear main oil seal failed and dumped engine oil all over it (25,000 miles on the clock when this happened).
Various issues with the multiplex wiring (horn would go off at random, indicators had a mind of their own, climate control would go haywire at random)
Electronics went bezerk after it ran out of fuel, resulting in a tow in.
Various odd "relay" clicks and buzzes from behind the dash.
Remote locking packed up

Shame as it was a good looking car that was nice to drive apart from being chronically underpowered. Comfy, smooth and frugal.

the company had a fleet of mk1's previously with the old 1.9 XUD engine which were superb. All ten of these mk2's were problematic though, and most of it was down to electrics.

Cheers
DP

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Help me decide- Volvo S40 / Peugeot 406 - tullydrawauto

W reg 406 HDI's didnt have multiplex electrics, it was introduced from 02 on. Phase 2 406 HDI's were a far superior car to the older XUD's. The XUD was the best diesel engine of its era but was thirsty, no low down power, smokey, liked head gaskets and glow plugs. If serviced correctly and used with good quality fuel the 2.0 HDI doesnt fail and will give 100,000's of trouble free miles.