What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Harry Pearce
Hello,

I want to buy a luxury saloon for my next car my budget is £1500 quid I am trying to choose between a Jag XJ6 a OMEGA Elite a merc c180 or a toyota camery.

Has anyone got any ideas it needs to be reliable as best it can for the money.

regards
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - 1066
heart says jag
head says omega
What would you buy with 1500 quid - Orson {P}
There's a vomit yellow Rover P6 round the corner for £1495 - luxury and pace for you.
Ah, did someone mention reliability....

O
--
Career: (n) Job, profession.
(v) Downhill, rapidly, out of control.
What would you buy with 1500 quid - Pugugly {P}
Jag jag Jag Jag Jag Jag - okay a nice 7 series.
What would you buy with 1500 quid - 1066
728i would be nice but 1500 is not much. get more omega for your money but jag jag jag
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - bell boy
mm 1500 on a big lump like those,think you will end up with your leg in a lemon to be honest
try an auction or a private ad, look at each car very carefully as theres lots to go wrong on every one of them and dont let anyone waffle you differently
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - zm
Would'nt bother with a Jag, as it will most likely be an XJ40 at this money (Rustbuckets), or a very tired X300, which whilst are generally reliable, you will find parts to be very expensive and all too often main dealer only.

Omega's are not as well built as many think, can be very difficult to work on and again can be expensive on parts. Most are also belt driven.

Having owned many mercs, I think this is the safest bet for you as parts are widely available and pretty cheap (Euro Car Parts and GSF, but don't rule out main agents either), they are generally easy to work on with many good small independent workshops aroound that seem to know what they are doing. I would go for a C200 though rather than a 180.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Sprice
For £1500 could pick up a decent Galant or a Xedos. If you want reliability as you state don't even think about Jag (but you know that don't you) or even a 7 series to be honest.
Sorry, have re-read your original post OP and out of the four I'd go for a Camry all day long.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Harry Pearce
Thank you God a Galant or Xedos I don't think I could bring myself to it A 7 series a few people have mentioned these I thought they were rubbish??
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Harry Pearce
Thanks for that have seen a few E classes on auto trader are these ok
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - OldHand
Honda Legend or a Nissan QX 3.0V6.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - scrapmetal
rover 75 diesel
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - nick
Jag XJ6. Join the Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club. Lots of ads at real world prices and cheap, cheap bits advertised. You'll get plenty of support from them too.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Vansboy
Omega.

VB
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - SpamCan61 {P}
Omega. I would say that wouldn't I? Total running costs of current Omega over last 60,000 miles 17p/mile :-)
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Red Baron
For a mere 2195 you can buy an Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 on autotrader.

What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - TurboD
Get a Mondeo, as high a spec as possible with as few as miles. Just ignore the posers of this forum.
You'll have a bargain.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - wazza

snipquote! PU

i will agree with wazza. Also lower insurance, parts etc
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Nsar
Of the three you list: Camry, but someone else has mentioned the QX which has to be worth a look.

Can you really get a Rover 75 for £1500? I'm shocked. Godawful cars but I didn't know they dropped that far.

What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - spikeyhead {p}
I'd spend about £900 on an Omega and save the rest to keep it on the road.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Stuartli
A top notch computer system, even though the one I have isn't absolutely dreadful...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Get a Mondeo

Oh goodness , should have known a Mondeo would be mentioned at some point :(

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/03/2008 at 19:35

What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Stuartli
should have known a Mondeo would be mentioned at some point :(>>

Why not? One of the best driver's cars around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - Dynamic Dave
a Mondeo
Why not? One of the best driver's cars around.

Good grief.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - George Porge
Have a look on ebay at Seat Toledo V5s, half leather / alcantara all the toys and you'll get a W or X for your budget, 10V 150BHP, 20V 170BHP

;O)
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - madf
Reliable at that price = Japanese.
All the rest = expensive and complex repairs and poc.
madf
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - mike hannon
1500 to buy it is all very well but what can you afford to spend on running it properly?
If not much, go for the Camry or a properly-maintained Honda Legend if you can find one.
What wuld you buy with 1500 quid - DP
Mondeo
One of the best driver's cars around.
Good grief.

I agree it's no a luxury car, but I don't see what's wrong with that statement. I doubt you'd find much better for £1500 put it that way.

--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - LHM
Of the three you mentioned, I'd go for the Jaguar. It has many faults (rust, suspension bushes, dodgy heating/air-con), but has a wonderful 'waft factor' which the others lack.

The very first pre-cat 4.0 litre cars (XJ40) would be my choice - they ditched the garish VFD display, and the lack of a 'cat' is one expensive thing less to worry about. Metric tyres can be a headache, but I think you could find a set of later inch rims on E**y.

Much depends on whether you're handy with the spanners. If you are - I'd say go for it; if not - be prepared for a few 'card-flexing' moments :-(
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Garethj
Of the ones you list, a Camry. More likely to get a good one for the money.

Mitusbishi Galant would be as good, the 2.5 V6 is smooth if not very powerful, suits the car well.
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Altea Ego
Heart says Jag, head says Camry.

Head shoudl be shot as no way can you call a camry Luxury motoring. but hey if you want reliability then its your only choice.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Westpig
I regularly get an XJ40 or early X300 as a courtesy car from my Jag independent when mine has a service etc........bearing in mind these are high mileage and a bit neglected i find them remarkably comfortable beasts with a lot of road presence and not to be dismissed. Most things work e.g. air con & electrics......and if you bought one from him as opposed to borrowing one you'd get a nice one........(details can be provided if you wish).

however..... i can confirm the suspension bushes type problems with clunking etc....but the worst thing for me is the absolutely hideous fuel consumption....

i thought mine was poor in comparison to most cars on the road.......but these aren't good at all (maybe i'm being unrealistic and a 7 series, S class etc of that vintage would be the same)..but do your homework on running costs like that
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - LHM
"absolutely hideous fuel consumption"

I used to get just over 30mpg at a steady 65-70 mph cruise from a 3.6 litre XJ40, which I didn't think was all that bad. However, urban driving of a heavy 4-litre automatic with a leaden right foot will not be good news.....

Of the OP's list, the Jaguar is a definite cut above the other candidates. The compliant ride (though not as good as the 'Series 3' cars) and general 'feel-good' cabin ambience appeal to my definition of '£1500 luxury'. Oh - and I nearly forgot the 'Randle handle' gear selector - a superb bit of design....
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - davidh
These are all big motors so I'm guessing you like comfort. See if you can have a sit in an example of each as preconceptions from behind a computer keyboard can change wildly when you go on to sit behind the wheel.

They'll all potentially give trouble save maybe the Camry but see how the cars make you feel sat behind the wheel. Do you feel great or just so-so.

When you've picked the best "feeling" car then search out the best example of it! Simple really.

What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - local yokel
Not Jaguar class, I'll admit, but what about £600-£800 on a 960 saloon, and bank the rest?
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Dipstick
You could get an early to mid nineties Lexus LS for that money. Japanese reliability and really rather luxurious.

What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Wee Willie Winkie
Whilst we're talking about Lexuss (is it Lexi?).....

tinyurl.com/2gcnqr

Wonder what the reserve is. Wouldn't mind smoking about in that myself.
What would you buy with 1500 quid ? - Pugugly {P}
Nor me, now that is what I call cheap luxury.