Tyre choice for the wet?? - M.M
Topical at the moment but actually prompted by the need to buy a full set of tyres for the m.m wagon...

What tyre choices would you consider if wet road grip was the number one requirement? I'm looking at H-rated 185/65x15 or 205/60x15.

I have a favourite that I nearly ordered earlier but thought I'd ask for opinion first.

Thanks,

David
Tyre choice for the wet?? - billy25
Couple of years ago, i bought some Uniroyals that were actually branded as "The Rain Tyre" and had an unbrella logo on the side-wall. if i also remember, it turned out to be a fairly dry summer, so i may not have got all my moneys worth!

Billy
Tyre choice for the wet?? - quizman

I would reccommend Pirelli P7's, they are excellent in the wet.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - bell boy
The tyres you had billy had to be uniroyals
these were the best tyres available in the 80"s before we all went low profile mad and the in thing was pirrelli p6 with chips.
Tyres on my car are p600 and to be honest im not impressed with them because of the noise ,maybe i might go back to those uniroyals ?
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Bill Payer
I had Uniroyal Rallye 180's on a company Cavalier in the mid-80 - they were fitted as replacements under the maintenance contract so I didn't object. As well as the brolley symbol, they were also marked M+S.

The Cavalier tyres didn't last too long anyway with my driving style 20 yrs ago, and I vividly remember the Uniroyal's lasted 7000 miles, but they were so grippy that the suspension would wind up, rather than letting the tyres slip.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - autumnboy
Couple of years ago i bought some Uniroyals that were actually branded as "The Rain
Tyre" and had an unbrella logo on the side-wall. >> Billy

I had these on my Sierra 4x4 in the 90's, Great tyres (VR rating) in the wet but too soft for normal use only had 9k out of them.

But the Pirelli's were the best for the wet and dry with better mileage. Can't remember which tyres they were.

Tyre choice for the wet?? - MichaelR
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or, for a less performance orientated harder wearing alternative, Goodyear Hydragrip.

Consistently top of PROPER tyre tests (ie, where tyres are accurately compared not worthless user reviews with no reference point) in the wet.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - tyro
ADAC's summer tyre test 2007 of 205/55 R16 V tyres gave the Pirelli P7 the top mark in the wet (which includes braking, aquaplaning, and handling. Joint second were Bridgestone Touranza ER 300 and Yokohama C Drive. Uniroyal Rallye 550 joint 4th with about four other tyres.

In 2007 they tested 225/45 R17 tyres and Bridgestone Potenza came top.

In 2005, they tested 195/65 R15 H tyres. Uniroyalle Rallye 550 came first.

for more info see
tinyurl.com/ndpte
Thanks guys. Pretty sure I had Uniroyals in the distant past on my Capri and they were chunky with a rain symbol on them.

My most favourite wet tyre is the Goodyear Ventura which turned wet to dry... very smooth ride and low noise too. Fantastic for trailer towing on wet grass too. Sadly now discontinued.

www.kolesomag.ru/images/products/Goodyear_Eagle_Ve...g

My inclination is to follow MichaelR and go for the Ventura's replacement... the Goodyear Hydragrip. We have a set on our Xsara already.

Cheers,

David
Tyre choice for the wet?? - DP
My most favourite wet tyre is the Goodyear Ventura which turned wet to dry... very
smooth ride and low noise too.

I agree. One of the best road tyres ever made IMHO. Could never understand how such an aggressive tread pattern could be so quiet.

I have yet to fit a duff Goodyear tyre. Haven't had the privilege of the F1 yet, but NCT2, NCT3, Ventura and NCT 5 all superb.

Cheers
DP
>>>>One of the best road tyres ever made IMHO. Could never understand how such an aggressive tread pattern could be so quiet.

Funny you should say that DP but I was genuinely amazed how they added the last degree of refinement to an already smooth riding Citroen Xantia. Took out all the town bump-thump in a way I've not experienced with any other tyre.

Cheers,

David
Went to get my set of Goodyear Hydragrips today and my local place could only get one through their suppliers... said theye were discontinued now. Bit of a blow but a bit of research came up with these two choices for a wet biased tyre.

Uniroyal Ralle 550 and Hankook Ventus Prime K105.

Any experience of these two from members?

David
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Ruperts Trooper
I have yet to fit a duff Goodyear tyre. Haven't had the privilege of the F1 yet, but NCT2, NCT3, Ventura and NCT 5 all superb.

Cheers
DP

I've just had a set of Excellence fitted to replace the last of several sets of NCT5 - definitely much quieter - grip seems reassuring but I try and avoid adhesion limits!
Tyre choice for the wet?? - component part
Vredstein Sportrac3. Got em in 195/60/15 on my Primera. Won an award in Autoexpress for 2007, noted for wet performance. Look pretty good too, if you care about that sort of thing.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Ed V
Bridgestone Turanza ER30s, now 300s would be my choice. Quieter than the Goodyears on my auto.
Yes it is a shame HJ, they were a niche market tyre with so much balance towards the wet I understand they didn't sell that well. As I've said before they were also pretty well as good as a 4x4 tyre when towing a large trailer off wet grass with a FWD car.

Anyway the choice and order is made so I get some new ones Monday.

After failing to find a set of the Hydragrips I also failed to find either the Uniroyal 550, Hankook Ventus Prime K105 or the Vredestein Sportrak 3. I use a small independent who sources from 4 tyre brokers and I was with him as these suppliers in turn could not guarantee a set of 4 of each make in turn within a reasonable timescale.

So for me it came down to a choice of two available tyres with a wet grip reputation. The Continental Premium Contact2 and the Bridgestone Turanza ER300. Bridgestone won the day on a consistant reputation in all areas of performance wherever I looked on the net.

They should be run in by next weekend and tested in the next bout of torential rain!

Cheers,

David
Tyre choice for the wet?? - mark999
Another vote here for Goodyear Hydragrips, fitted to my MK1 MX5, excellent in the wet

Mark
Tyre choice for the wet?? - jag
used to use goodyear ventura, good tyre, then changed to hydragrips on the same car and only got 2/3's the milage. now on nct5 and quadtrac 2. jag.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - David Horn
Am I alone in never having driven my car aggressively enough to be at the point of losing grip on a corner?
Probably not David.... but I do like to retire to the private test track after a vehicle or tyre change to see how they behave if extreme measures are called for.

Well the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 are run in and have been tested wet and dry. Compared to the wet biased Goodyears mentioned above they have a harder town ride on manhole covers etc. They also have a slightly coarse feel at speed, this is more pronounced when in a brisk higher speed corner. They have good straight line stability and a sharper turn-in than the Goodyears... however this transitions into a less progressive feel nearer breakaway limits. This character remains in wet and dry. They are better than an average tyre through heavy standing water but well below the Goodyear performance in this respect. The wet road handling is above average but again not up to the Goodyear.

I am happy to run them for 25K but would look around at other options at the next change.

Cheers,

David
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Westpig
Well the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 are run in

wish i could get that sort of feedback on all tyres, would make it much less of a lottery and allow me the confidence to shop around rather than keep to what the manufacturer put on there. Good post.
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Mapmaker
>>Am I alone in never having driven my car aggressively enough to be at the point of losing grip on a corner?

Maybe. I did once. Black ice, when aged 17 and 7 months. Write off. Otherwise, no I don't drive like that. But if you've got ABS (see other thread) it doesn't matter..... :)
Tyre choice for the wet?? - Cliff Pope
Another vote here for Goodyear Hydragrips fitted to my MK1 MX5 excellent in the wet
Mark

Would you be Sir Robert "major contribution to road safety" Mark?