The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 47 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 48 *****

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 47.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

GATSO Road Markings Mobile cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
For the first time in years I drove into Lincoln on the A15, from Sleaford. As I drove North I saw at least a dozen sets of Gatso type road markings, in both lanes/directions, and some of them were numbered - numbers in the 40s. My camera warner gave no bleeps of any sort and there were no GATSOs present. However, coming back South some hours later there was a Lincs police camera van locate at one of the sites. Now, I thought scamera vans used radar and didn't need road markings. Was the van's presence by the markings a coincidence or is there some technique going on that I don't know about?

Moved from general Discussion to here where it belongs.....PU
GATSO Road Markings + Mobile cameras - Dwight Van Driver
Could be setting up one of these at a gatso point.

Mobile Gatso Camera

This system uses the existing Gatso radar camera, as found in the static housing, utilising additional equipment to make it portable. The equipment works in exactly the same way as the normal fixed-site using 35mm film which needs to be processed. This system has the advantage that it can be used during darkness and in wet conditions.

The Gatso 24 camera equipment is used to measure speed and to photograph the offending vehicle that is exceeding the threshold speed. The camera equipment is set on a tripod and measures the speed of vehicles travelling in either or both directions, as chosen by the operator. This system can also be set to distinguish between cars and lorries

dvd
GATSO Road Markings + Mobile cameras - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks DVD, as ever! What I saw was a standard camera van, with blacked out windows, no Gatso box on a pole, but the van just happened to be at the site of one of several sets of road markings on the 15 mile stretch I was driving along.
GATSO Road Markings + Mobile cameras - Ruperts Trooper
In Staffordshire the "Road Safety Partnership" vans just park on a verge, often on the inside of a downhill bend, and take "pictures" through the back window.

I've always thought that the road markings are there as a permant deterrent at sites where the camera is part-time.
GATSO Road Markings + Mobile cameras - OldSkoOL
The staffordshire camera vans park all over the place and indeed as you mention. I see them on hills at various points coming in and out of stafford.

I do notice the majority of people traveling upper 30's and early 40's in 30 zones; it just seems to be the speed at which people travel so i guess they catch a lot of people.

I do try and stay within the limits but at times the tailgating gets so bad. I get really angry with tailgaters, i just have to bite my lip.

GATSO Road Markings + Mobile cameras - jc2
Many of the markings on the road are left over from temporary cameras used during road works.The markings are only needed for Gatso.Truvelo and other makes do not require them.
New speed cameras? - Quinny
So there I was today,meandering across the Stocksbridge by-pass,near Sheffield,on my way to Tesco Middlewich,with 27 tonne of bagged flour on,and being conscious of the Specs cameras,I'm sitting at the legal 40mph for artics,and minding my own.

Got to the point where the Specs zone had finished,and got the old girl rolling a little bit,and was approaching the junction of the A616/A628 at Langsett reservoir,at about 50mph, ( Yes I know I should have been still doing 40mph.) when I happened upon 2 cameras near the junction,one on each side of the road,which looked like cctv cameras,however,the one on the right,had a speed camera sign kinda strapped to it.

So it set me thinking.........

Are these a new generation camera that is being phased in,or could it be I'm just a bit paranoid?

I know that the 'speed camera partnerships' are to unveil digital cameras that don't need film,hence the chances of getting away with it are about to diminish,but has anyone actually come across any yet?

Ken.
New speed cameras? - henry k
>>Are these a new generation camera that is being phased in,or could it be I'm just a bit paranoid?

>>I know that the 'speed camera partnerships' are to unveil digital cameras that don't need film,hence the chances of getting away with it are about to diminish,but has anyone actually come across any yet?

Oh yes! There are many in my area ( Surrey / Kingston / West London )
"Transport for London have ordered 66 cameras and plan more."

www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso12.htm
www.redspeed-int.com/en/products_redspeed.htm
Shows the three photos day or night
www.abd.org.uk/redspeed.htm

They are known as Monitrons. Since company appears to have gone belly up they are now renamed Redspeed.

See the actual beast in the above links
Three cameras in one much smaller box. Much higher up so it is less in your line of sight.

"RedSpeed speed cameras are digital and transmit data via phone to a central office, it is claimed this is done within two minutes. This means a fine could be on it's way to you before you even get home. The camera can be mounted on a 15ft pole and is thus claimed by the manufacturer to be 'vandal proof'
New speed cameras? - Quinny
No there not Monitron cameras,they look just like a cctv camera,you know the type,a very small box.

If anyone is near the aforementioned junction over the next few days,have a look and see if they are still there.
New speed cameras? - twin_peeks
"RedSpeed speed cameras are digital and transmit data via phone to a central office it
is claimed this is done within two minutes. This means a fine could be on
it's way to you before you even get home. The camera can be mounted on
a 15ft pole and is thus claimed by the manufacturer to be 'vandal proof'

SNIPQUOTE! Please don't so lazy and pay more attention to the message "please keep this thread as readable as possible by EDITING the quote to INCLUDE ONLY RELEVANT TEXT" that appears on your screen when you click the Quote original message button

I wanted to find out, do these new speed cameras flash you if you are going over the limit? Or are they like the SPECS and Truvelo cameras

New speed cameras? - daveyjp
I don't know about the cameras, but the latest idea for this road (the main route between Sheffield and Manchester) is to build a bypass around Motram and Tintwistle at the Manchester end to alleviate the severe traffic problems there.

To prevent problems further down the route there re also plans to install 12+ sets of traffic lights which are rarely on green. The idea being you get so p'd of waiting for the lights to change you use an alternative route! That will be Sheffield to Leeds via the M1 then M62 to Manchester then, only about 60 miles further and the M62 has loads of spare capacity doesn't it?

Who thinks these ideas up?
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Dynamic Dave
Moved from general Discussion to here, where it belongs...hint, hint. PG

{Sulk - DD}

The Safe Speed Road Safety Campaign launches national Scrap Speed Cameras Week on June 24th 2007.

www.safespeed.org.uk/sscw.html

It's time to make yourself heard and end the madness. We can do it. You can help.

If you do nothing else, PLEASE sign the 'scrap speed cameras' petition on the 10 Downing Street web site. (closes 26th June)

Also see Paul Smith's article 'scrap speed cameras now' in Saturday's Daily Telegraph.

Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Westpig
i know Paul Smith can go on a bit and some of his aticles are particularly 'in depth' but what he says makes an enormous amount of sense to me

can't see the 'powers that be' taking a great deal of notice, because they've got used to the revenues coming in.........unless the 'real govt' (Europe) insists on it, but they seem to have 'camera creep' now as well.

or maybe the voting public will do something about it, which would be even better
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Tomo
Duly signed; but I wish there were more of us.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Bill Payer
Surely the best thing to do would be to stick to speed limits for a couple of weeks? That would really mess up the Scamera Partnerships business case when the revenue stopped cascading in!
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - CGNorwich
Too broad in scope for me - I would argue against many uses of cameras but there are places and situations where they work and are the best way to reduce dangerous driving.

I would add that I have twice been the victim of such cameras - Whilst I feel that the penalty was harsh for the offence committed if I'm honest I have to admit that I was exceeding a clearly posted limit in both cases. I would also say that having incurred a six point penalty in as many weeks (after over thirty years of accident and conviction free driving) did cause me to re-examine and change my driving style and so, I have to admit, that speed cameras do work.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Chicken Vindaloo
I'm in two minds. The average speed cameras on the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge have made a massive difference to the traffic flow when I've been on it recently. However, I do have an issue with scamera vans and cameras at sites where they are purely there to raise revenue. Correctly sited cameras (such as at clearly defined blackspots and outside schools etc), I would still not have an issue with.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - tr7v8
>>The average speed cameras on the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge
have made a massive difference to the traffic flow when I've been on it recently.

You are joking, it's 2 lanes of continuous congestion! The muppets cause problems who don't realise that National DC speed limit is 70mph NOT 60! Then one of the hundreds of lorries that use it pull out & everyone brakes to 56.00001MPH. That road is the nearest I've come to an accident everytime I use it.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Chicken Vindaloo
You are joking it's 2 lanes of continuous congestion! The muppets cause problems who don't
realise that National DC speed limit is 70mph NOT 60! Then one of the hundreds
of lorries that use it pull out & everyone brakes to 56.00001MPH. That road is
the nearest I've come to an accident everytime I use it.

Compared to what it used to be, braking to 56.0000001MPH is better than braking to a standstill for the fixed speed cameras. At least the traffic keeps moving.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Bill Payer
did cause me to re-examine and change my driving style and so I have to admit that speed cameras do work.

I got caught (bowling along at 85 on a motorway standard dual carriageway) and it did change my driving style too - I now drive the same road dead on 70. So you could say it worked in my case.

However I don't believe I'm any safer than I was before, as I don't believe 85 was dangerous in that setting, and it's a road where many people do 85 anyway so I'm probably more dangerous by just getting in people's way.

I especially tend to stick rigidly to speed limits now in areas that I'm not familiar with - much to the annoyance of local traffic that is prevented from travelling at its natural speed.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Hamsafar
If we stick to the limits, they just reduce them by 10mph.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - james86
Yes they work if the target is to make people stick to the limit, but more importantly do they work if the target is making the road safer and reducing accidents? Very much up for debate, and personally I do not believe they do.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - MikeTorque
The main people who want to get rid of the cameras are the ones who are afraid of being caught.
Stick to driving within the legal speed limits and save lives, if we all did that then cameras wouldn't be an issue.

Pity there aren't more speed cameras, that way they may actually catch the idiots who drive at 90mph past our local school, it's a 30mph zone.

Having read yet another newspaper article of another road death the only thing I'd vote for is more speed cameras to catch and hopefully ban the speeders.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Caveman
Pity there aren't more speed cameras that way they may actually catch the idiots who
drive at 90mph past our local school it's a 30mph zone.

Trouble is, the cameras are everywhere except where they are actually required. Even if they were to be sited along a school road, they should only be working when the school is open.

Another name added to the petition.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - OldSkoOL
Interesting - i agree with putting Gatso's or even average speed cameras in towns and especially near schools. I'm all for that, i'm actually more for average speed cameras as it stops rage and tailgating. I do disagree with too much speed in areas with a lot of people or children. But i highly disagree with policemen wasting their time sitting in camera vans on country roads, a roads and b roads.

Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - james86
Trouble is the cameras are everywhere except where they are actually required. Even if they
were to be sited along a school road they should only be working when the
school is open.

Agreed - I used to live near a school where the limit was 30 usually, but 20 when there were likely to be children about ie before/after school and lunchtime. There were flashing signs around the school informing people of the 20 limit, which the school themselves could turn on and off as appropriate. The next logical step to this would be enforcement but only during times when the limit was 20.

Someone recently suggested to me that speed cameras, particularly motorway/dual carriageway ones, should be turned off at night on the assumption that there really is little harm in doing 90 down the M1 at 4 in the morning when there will be hardly anyone there. I realise there aren't many cameras actually on the motorway but plenty on dual carriageways, and you may take the view that if this is done you'd actually have to stop all speed enforcement (police cars too) on the motorway at night anyway so presence of cameras is not relevant. What are people's opinions on this?
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Roly93
>> Pity there aren't more speed cameras that way they may actually catch the idiots
who
>> drive at 90mph past our local school it's a 30mph zone.

We have the same problem outside our school on a rural B road.
I hate speed cameras and the way they are used in the UK, but in this situation, a speed camera would be a justified and worthwhile installation.
As for those $%^&*£rs who sit in their vans on motorway bridges, I hope they all rot in hell, or at least find something worthwhile to do with themselves.
Anyway why is the speed limit on UK motorways only 112 KPH when it is 130 KPH+ on most of the continent ?
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - OldHand
The main people who want to get rid of the cameras are the ones who
are afraid of being caught.

driving within the legal speed limits and save lives if we all did
that then cameras wouldn't be an issue..aren't more speed cameras that way they may actually catch the idiots who
drive at 90mph past our local school it's a 30mph zone.

That's such complete tosh I'm almost at a loss where to start.

Firstly there is no proof that speed cameras or slavish obedience of 'legal limits' save lifes.

Secondly I don't believe anyone drives past your local school in a 30mph zone at 90mph except perhaps the odd police car.

Your comments are utter garbage, ill thought out, unproveable and based in some sort of alternate reality I'm glad I'm not a part of.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - bell boy
im at a loss for words for mike torques input on this fred fred so have nothing meaningfull to add
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Lud
Never mind MT who is being provocative.

Someone sai that they now get in the way of local traffic because they don't know where the cameras are.

I find local traffic a pretty good indicator of what speed you can get away with.

I do agree with one thing MTR said: that those who want to get rid of cameras are afraid of being clocked by them.

Speaking as one of those very people.

SNIP - {Don't mind me, I'm just removing some of the quoted replied to post, ONCE MORE! - DD}
Having read yet another newspaper article of another road death the only thing I'd vote
for is more speed cameras to catch and hopefully ban the speeders.

no idea if your post was somewhat 'tongue in cheek', but just in case it wasn't...the resources should be spent on preventing poor driving, particularly poor driving that causes accidents and ultimately death

speeding on its' own doesn't necessarily equate to poor driving

increasingly it has been lumped together with other more serious things like drink/driving in an attempt to make it automatically unacceptable

the dim and unaware have gone along with this, but need to open their eyes.... there are many other things that need to be concentrated on first

speeding can be dangerous, in fact it can be exceptionally dangerous.......but at other times it is not........that is the reality...........to think otherwise is 'head in sand'

Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - wrangler_rover
How's this for a suggestion.
If everybody stuck to the speed limits for a few weeks, the road safety partnerships wouldn't catch anybody speeding so their source of revenue would dry up and they would have zero return on investment.
Would this be the end of speed cameras if they caught nobody?
Would this be the end of speed cameras if they caught nobody?

No it wouldn't. They'd be able to outsit us on the countless milli0ons they've already filched out of our cars' carburettors and our children's mouths. They know we'll crack first and start feeding them again like the leeches they are. You can only stop the blood circulating for so long.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - stunorthants26
The cameras are not wrong - they catch people breaking the law. Its some of the limits that are wrong. So the problem is the people who set the limits not the method by which law breakers are caught.
Cameras dont ordinarily snap you unless you break the law, so if you dont want to be caught, slow down.
If you want the limits changed, you do all you can to make your voice heard and if you still cant change it, so be it, thats the world we live in - try moving if you cannot accept it.

I personally would like to see average speed cameras on all major routes if they had sensible limits set or even better, variable, varied by someone with half a brain.

It does get so boring hearing people complain about an inanimate object that just does what its asked to do. Thing is, very few of those people who complain about cameras will actually do ANYTHING about getting the limits changed, just sit on their bar stool and whinge.

Personally, I think there are bigger problems in the world than sticking to a speed limit.
!Personally, I think there are bigger problems in the world than sticking to a speed limit.!

Totally agree. By and large limits in this country are reasonable. and do not in fact have much impact on overall journey times. There are some roads where i think the limit could safely be increased and certainly some roads have too many changes in limit and I have attmpted to make my voice heard on a number of occasions A more consistant approach to speed limits would be good but at the end of the day we have to adhere to whatever the legal limit is. I do find it tiresome reading posts justifying breaking the law because the poster does not happen to agree with it. That way lies chaos
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Ravenger
The problem is that many limits are set so that it takes a concious effort NOT to exceed them, because your driving skills and awareness are telling you that (to quote a local example) this dual carriageway should be a 40mph limit and not 30mph.

That 30mph dual carriageway near my home is a prime example of an incorrect limit for the type and conditions of the road. And yes, it has a speed camera. I find myself having to conciously control my speed, which makes it more difficult to pay attention to the road ahead.
The problem is that many limits are set so that it takes a concious effort
NOT to exceed them because your driving skills and awareness are telling you that (to
quote a local example) this dual carriageway should be a 40mph limit and not 30mph.

I have to make a concious effort not to drive into a tractor doing 20 mph, but I manage.
Driving is a concious effort, thats why theres a test and standards to determine who can and cannot do it. This idea that driving should be a thoughtless process is rather worrying.
Those who advocate breaking any speed limit are also implicitly advocating breaking any law of the land they disagree with, that's called lawlessness.

The school I was referring to also has a public crossing outside it which a lot of people use as well as children. So tell me those of you who think a speed camera should only be active during school hours how you can justify exceeding the speed limit outside of school hours when a crossing or public road is crossed by people at any time day or night ?

I am fed up of seeing people die and seriously injured just because some so and so is unwilling to drive within a set limit and thinks they are above the law. If you can't do such a simply and straightforward thing such as drive within a legal then frankly you are not responsible enough to be on the road. To whom this applies perhaps you should try visiting a casuality unit or talk to someone who has just lost a loved one today as a result of some speedster who thought it was ok to break a speed limit and as a result couldn't stop in time, then maybe just maybe you may decide to drive within the limits of the law of the land or will you have to learn the hard way !
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Screwloose
I am fed up of seeing people die and seriously injured just because some so
and so is unwilling to drive within a set limit

Mike

You appear to have swallowed the simplistic "speed kills" message that's causing the current upsurge in accidents. Your assertion is that if everyone slavishly follows the set limit, then nobody will get hurt. Do you seriously believe that?

Your speed should be constantly being related to the circumstances immediately in front of you. Releasing the driver from that responsibility and merely requiring blind obedience to an overall nominal figure is counterproductive - are you really saying that it's safe to pass close to a parked car at 30?

I've said it before; we are raising a generation of drivers that can't think for themselves and assume that if they are under the posted limit, then nothing that happens can possibly be their fault.

Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - martint123
Remember they were trialling speed limiters for motorbikes?.
It seems someone has a modicum of common sense (an may well get the sack??)

Calls for speed limiters on motorcycles have been rejected by the Government.

A Government response to the calls said speeding did not cause enough motorcycle accidents to warrant the move. ..........

The response said efforts to reduce accidents 'should focus on the major contributory factors' whereas research identified exceeding the speed limit 'as a contributory factor in only four per cent of motorcycle accidents'.

It said: 'A speed limiter would address a proportion of those accidents, but wouldn't necessarily impact on instances of inappropriate speed or ?going too fast for the conditions?, a contributory factor in nine per cent of motorcycle accidents.'

No I haven't swallowed any simplistic message, so please don't attempt to nail me with any such implication.
are you really saying that it's safe to pass close to a parked car at 30?

In your example the issue isn't simply one of speed but more to do with the distance of the car in relation to the parked vehicle. In general a wide birth should be given when passing any parked vehicle and the passing vehicles speed should be sufficiently slow to be able to stop for any given situation such as a child suddenly running from behind a parked car.
I've said it before; we are raising a generation of drivers that can't think for themselves and assume that if they are under the posted limit, then nothing that happens can possibly be their fault.

No, we are raising a generation of drivers who don't think or accept the consequences of their actions irrespective of their speed.
Just ask the young man who was caught for speeding and wreckless driving on his way back from the funeral of his friends who were killed in an illegal speed related car crash. Ask the person who drove head-on into a car and killed the other driver when passing on a bend. Ask the person who overtakes 6 cars and 2 lorries at 100mph on a single carriageway and forces 2 of them off the road whilst they drive off into the distance with their radio blasting away. Do they think, are they aware of the havoc they are causing ? It's not just young drivers either driving like this, it's elderly Merc drivers in powerful cars, managers in BMWs, directors and doctors driving home at 100mph having spent too long in the office/hospital and are rushing to get home, they should know better but they still do it, why why why ? Do they think they are above the law ? Do you see the connection here with the attitude of these people and those who break the law speeding but then complain when/if they are caught ?

The law is there to show us what we do wrong, not what we should be doing right.

This whole speed issue is to do with our attitude to other road users, other people, the environment, whether we actually care about being an active contributor to road safety by driving responsibly, it means driving within the law of the land, it means not wasting fuel and causing extra pollution that impacts on us all and future generations, it means thinking about the needs of others more than our own needs.
This whole speed issue is to do with our attitude to other road users other
people the environment whether we actually care about being an active contributor to road safety
by driving responsibly it means driving within the law of the land it means not
wasting fuel and causing extra pollution that impacts on us all and future generations it
means thinking about the needs of others more than our own needs.

Ignorant humbug. But there's nothing to be done about it. It's predominant, perhaps in all societies at all times.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Vin {P}
Mike Torque: "It's not just young drivers either driving like this, it's elderly Merc drivers in powerful cars, managers in BMWs, directors and doctors driving home at 100mph"

Emotive claptrap, I'm afraid. I drive a great deal on the motorway. VERY rarely do I see cars travelling at or near 100mph. I tend to set the cruise control at 80-85 (true speed 77-82) and I'm not overtaken a great deal. I'm almost never overtaken by anyone doing 20mph more than me. You seem obsessed with 90mph and 100mph as figures to quote. I suspect most people on here would agree that "100mph on a single carriageway" consistutes dangerous driving and should result in extremely harsh punishment.

As for: "Ask the person who drove head-on into a car and killed the other driver when passing on a bend."

What's that got to do with the price of fish? In what way is that accident related to people breaking speed limits? For all we know he was overtaking at 50mph in a 60mph limit.

V

Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Pugugly {P}
"It's not just young drivers either driving like this, it's elderly Merc drivers in powerful cars, managers in BMWs, directors and doctors driving home at 100mph"

Agreed Vin, I regularly use a stretch of M-way in the same manner, last night being a prime example, travelled just over 40 miles on it at around the same speeds you quote, I overtook several German uberwagens, I was overtaken by one (one of them new Audis with the LED running lights), not a scientific test but then not an unusual experience. The road was quiet enough to spend most of the trip either in he middle or outside lane at a cruise controlled speed thus making for a very pleasant rapid and economical run.

(BTW Firefox spell checks Uberwagen as "Volkswagen" !)
I tend to set the cruise control at 80-85 (true speed 77-82)

So what is your self justification for ignoring the law. Perhaps "because everyone else does" or I "don't agree with it". Do you think we should all be able to ignore laws we don't like or interfere with our desired livestyle. Should you be able to drive through red traffic lights when you think it is safe to do for example?
CGNorwich,

My justification is that I do it at times when it is safe to do so. On a dry, clear motorway (I drive at 6am and 4pm) 77-82 is safe. On a side road in the wet, 30mph might be too fast. But I wouldn't be breaking the law, would I, which is clearly all that matters to you.

"Should you be able to drive through red traffic lights when you think it is safe to do for example?". No. Nor do I think that murder should be acceptable if you feel like it, before you suggest that that's where I'm heading.

You won't address the points in para 1 of this reply. You lot never do.

V
By the way, I gave up posting to the speed camera thread many years ago. I accidentally ended up here this time after posting to another thread that was subsequently moved in here. I won't be posting again, as there are too many speed limit bigots for my liking, who never even read a word of opposing argument; their sole argument is "speed kills" and "supporting driving one mpg above a posted limit is equivalent to justifying mass murder of children". Read their rants on here if you wish. Not for me, I'm afraid; I know I break the law by driving at 80mph on the motorway. If I get caught, I'll take it on the chin. Doesn't make me dangerous (25 years and never had an "at fault" accident, if you want proof). Oh, and one scamera speeding ticket, ten years ago, before they were widespread - I look at the road and surroundings for hazards rather than just looking at my speedo. Helps me to spot the scameras.

Thanks for reading. Those who are now apoplectic with rage at my law-breaking lunacy, try thinking about what I have said. Alternatively, just post a knee-jerk response pointing out that I'll be moving on to slaughtering the innocents next.

V
Should you be able to drive through red traffic lights when you think it is safe to do for
example?

yes..........i think you should be able to do that.........many foreign countries do so

i think that at traffic lights you should be able to filter left if there's nothing coming (inc pedestrians)........can't see it happening because it would mean drivers THINKING FOR THEMSELVES instead of obeying a sign.......can't have that can we
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - boxsterboy
Should you be able to drive through red traffic lights when you think it
is safe to do for
>> example?

David Cameron and 99% of cyclists clearly have no problem with breaking the law in this way. They must therefore all be murderers, too!
I suspect most people on here would agree that "100mph on
a single carriageway" consistutes dangerous driving and should result in extremely harsh punishment.
Most may, but I think you will find others like me who think that this too is utter carp.
Lud: Full quote shoudl have been "100mph on a single carriageway and forces 2 of them off the road whilst they drive off into the distance with their radio blasting away"

V
Lud: Full quote shoudl have been "100mph on a single carriageway and forces 2 of
them off the road whilst they drive off into the distance with their radio blasting
away"

Sorry Vin. But I'm not psychic you know... :o)
You appear to have swallowed the simplistic "speed kills" message that's causing the current upsurge in accidents. Your assertion is that if everyone slavishly follows the set limit then nobody will get hurt. Do you seriously believe that?

Your speed should be constantly being related to the circumstances immediately in front of you. Releasing the driver from that responsibility and merely requiring blind obedience to an overall nominal figure is counterproductive - are you really saying that it's safe to pass close to a parked car at 30? <<

This is not a matter of speed kills, its a matter of the rule of law. Just because the law isnt always accurate, it doesnt mean you break it. Sometimes I feel like giving the guy who cuts me up a damn good hiding, and im sure im not the only one, but it doesnt make it legal, even if many would support people taking the law into their own hands in such circumstances.

Secondly, you seem to be totally unaware of the meaning of a speed LIMIT - that denotes the LIMIT, ie the maximum that is legal, not the speed that you must drive at in all circumstances.

Its this attitude to the rules and clearly a lack of understanding of them, that is a risk to others.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Ravenger
I have to make a concious effort not to drive into a tractor doing 20
mph but I manage.
Driving is a concious effort thats why theres a test and standards to determine who
can and cannot do it. This idea that driving should be a thoughtless process is
rather worrying.

Driving is a learned skill. If I had to conciously think about driving I wouldn't be able to do it, any more than if I had to conciously think about how to move my legs when I walked. It's not a concious effort - I don't think, hang on, I've not checked my mirrors for several seconds, so I'd better do it. I do it automatically.
snipquote - PU

If its a learned skill, then you need to learn how to maintain a cars speed. Cars are often fitted with brakes which greatly help with this.

There are many actions in driving which require concious effort and many which dont - I dont automatically move from one lane to the other on the M-way - I make a decision, then carry it out and maintaining speed just happens to be something which often requires effort in some cases.

The idea that its some kind of infringement on civil liberties because you actually have to put some concentration into driving is rather odd - if driving was that easy, everyone would do it.
the speed limits are set as an average, for what a driver on a road might have to worry about, so a wet winter's morning would be likely to be more dangerous than a dry sunny summer's one, etc,etc...

this would mean on the summer's morning trip you're driving slower than you need to, because of the risk in the winter, so the limit isn't as relevant

and the same principle with a 20mph limit outside the school.......no problem when the kids are there.....but really irritating when they're not

then there's the national speed limit......in some places e.g. back lane on Dartmoor it would be suicidal to attempt 60mph.......yet driving across Glen Coe in Scotland you could do 90 mph without much danger......DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES

yes it's illegal to break them, no arguement........bit it isn't necessarily dangerous to break a speed limit......and those that insist that it is automatically dangerous, need to 'widen their vision'...
>>yes it's illegal to break them, no arguement........bit it isn't necessarily dangerous to break a speed limit......and those that insist that it is automatically dangerous, need to 'widen their vision'...<<

You can have an accident at or below the legal limit, no question, but its commonly believed that lower impact speeds reduce the risk of fatality if such a situation arises.

Nobody is saying its dangerous to break the speed limit - in my youth, I drove at 140 mph on the M23 - the road was deserted and it was only for a short while, but in hindsight, really stupid from legal point of view - thats what happens when you give an 18 yo a Ford Scorpio Cosworth for an hour!
It was however illegal and I stick to the limit now because I believe in the rule of law as a principle that is part of civilised society. We have channels to go through to affect a change in the law so if the law is a problem, you change it first rather than just ignoring it and making your own rules up.
We have channels to go through to affect a change in the law so if the law is a problem you change it first rather than just ignoring it and making your own rules up.

the bus full of nuns doing 41mph in a 40mph limit are illegal........as is the vicar doing 31mph in a 30mph limit

everything needs to be put into context, not convenient black/white, yes/no boxes...

which is why a magistrate or judge has sentencing guidelines and a degree of autonomy on how they sentence........and police have discretion...
It isn't a meeting of minds, is it.

Some people seem to think that exceeding speed limits is breaking the law in the same way that arson or murder are breaking the law.

Others, who have (ahem) some familiarity with the nuts and bolts of law enforcement, take a broader and essentially more practical view. Takes all sorts unfortunately.
It's obvious that some of you have no intention of reducing your speed. You admit you speed, trying to justify why you speed is no excuse, setting cruise controls well above the legal limit proves the point, why not set your cruise control to 69 or 70 what's the problem !

We could go on for days with this discussion but to be frank it's pointless, utterly pointless with the closed minded attitude some of you have got. Maybe when someone you love gets killed or badly injured you may learn something and change your attibute to speeding, until then alas you'll just be another accident waiting to happen. In the meantime I have to go one living without someone I loved, killed by someone like you.
I don't suppose anyone here has a heartless attitude to road casualties or takes dangerous driving lightly MikeTorque. The argument is about equating observance or non-observance of speed limits with safe and dangerous driving. Adult people who like cars and speed usually take safe driving very seriously, as they have to. They are not crazed, arrogant hooligans and disapprove of such.
Scrap Speed Cameras Week. - Pugugly {P}
Agree or disagree, don't lets get personal about it. Stick to facts about your argument don't lets make assumptions about other people - PU Mod mode full on.

In the meantime I have to go one living without someone I loved killed by someone like
you.

MT.......Firstly i sincerely wish you didn't have to grieve someone.

Secondly i have had to do the knocking on the door, numerous times, telling someone of this and i can assure anyone it is extremely unpleasant.... (although obviously nothing like that of losing a loved one).

Thirdly, it changes not one jot my views on this subject and i would suggest that i come from an informed viewpoint.

I fully understand why a grieving relative would believe the 'speed kills' propoganda, which in my view makes it all the more wrong to peddle it.....there ARE times when speed is lethal (obviously), yet there are other times when it is not... it is the 'not' times i'm trying to make a point on.

The adverts etc ought to be something like INAPPROPRIATE SPEED FOR THE CIRCUMSTANCES KILLS.......but of course that is too much of a mouthful and is not catchy is it.

Police admit speed cameras are dangerous - Zippy123
Police admit that speed cameras cause drivers to brake {typo corrected - DD} sharply:

"The officers were rather brusque and told me they had received several complaints from motorists who thought it was a real police officer and that it could cause an accident if a car braked suddenly. "

For the full story see

www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news....0

moved in here for a bit if like minded company....PU
Gatso Camera Settings in Berkshire. - Roly93
Does anyone have any idea what the Gatso cameras in Wokingham are set to ? ie do they go off at 35 etc. The reason being I went past one which was obscured by tree branches the other day in a 30 limit, and although I was not going fast it was very marginal as to whether I had been flashed, as I seem to remember I was probably doing about 38 at the time.

Moved in here - where it belongs ! - subject line corrected to reflect OP's self editing later on - PU
Gatso Camera Settings in Berkshire. - Roly93
Gatso Camera Settings in Berkshire. - John S
Roly

Well there's at least one in Berkshire that's set at 35, as Mrs S very recently found out. Seething doesn't adequately describe her reaction to the post that morning!

JS
Gatso Camera Settings in Berkshire. - Ravenger
35 will on many cars be indicated as nearly 40mph, due to speedos over-reading. I know mine does - it's about 4mph out at 30mph, as verifed by my sat-nav.
Gatso Camera Settings in Berkshire. - daveyjp
30 plus 10% and 2mph is 35mph, so within ACPO guidelines.

A rep of our local camera partnership stated that all their cameras are set to at least 10% +2 tolerance. Despite 'man in pub' tales of drivers in my area being done for 31 in a 30 etc etc he has always said if anyone can show this to be true he will cancel the ticket. He has yet to refund any money.
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - wotspur
Although I drive along this road several times a month, tonight I noticed several NEW posts with 5 or more cameras on it, one heading up from Brentford towards the Gillett building- are they speed cameras and are they already in opperation
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - Altea Ego
ANPR for one of two reasons.

1/ Security* 2/ extension of ccongestion zone

* big brother
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - boxsterboy
Yes, I noticed one of these on the A3 southbound in Raynes Park, just before the Mercedes-Benx Direct dealership (and next to a speed camera). Wondered what is was.

Must remember to keep the sun visor down to preserve my identity whenever I pass. ;-)
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - twin_peeks
Is anyone able to tell me the scope of a standard Gatso speed camera? I ask this as a speed camera flashed a motorcyclists doing something over 50 mph in a 40 mph zone on the A244 from Shepperton. The thing is he wasn't in lane and was outside the markings (or at least I think he was) when the camera flashed. While I was within limit I am slightly worried that I may get fined as the bike may have been out of scope.
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - daveyjp
Don't worry. I've been in the markings and overtaken by someone who was speeding - I never heard anything. They will check the distance you travelled using the markings to calculate if you were the guilty party.
A4 Brentford new cameras ?? - past_it
Can anyone tell me why we are standing for all these Government tax cameras and why more are not given a tyre necklace.
Speed camera & road markings? - Petel
Have used the forum search and the only thread relating, assumes the presence of road markings.

Have just been asked to try to clarify the situation re speed cameras and their road markings. Am told that a newspaper/magazine recently ran an article stating that a new system had been introduced with cameras that function without the need for any road markings. Can anyone please confirm the current situation with regard to this subject?
Thank you.
Speed camera & road markings? - Altea Ego
Truvelo cameras dont have markings in the road, just the buried cable.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Speed camera & road markings? - jc2
And there are two other types that are approved and don't need markings but all of these have bee naround for years and are not new.
Speed camera & road markings? - Petel
Thank you both for the confirmation.
Much appreciated.
Speed camera & road markings? - twin_peeks
slightly off subject but I was wondering about the new gatso cameras which are placed on the long poles to stop vandalism. Do these flash you like the old gatsos or are they more similar to the SPECS cameras?
Speed camera & road markings? - Pugugly {P}
Totally off subject ! So it goes to the speed camera thread...!
Burnt out Gatsos replaced on A20 Orpington ! - Civic8
Just to let drivers who use the A20 to London and back orpington turnoff know,tha Gatsos that were burnt out some time ago,have been replaced by overhead cameras five london bound just after critals roundabout and 3 just before, coast bound

I did wonder if they would replace them and they have,they were put in thurs/fri night this week

Mods If this has been mentioned before please remove and sorry

No need to aplogise - altered your subject line to draw attention, will move it over to the Speed Camera Thread shortly - PU
Motorist convicted of Using a Laser Diffuser - Armitage Shanks {p}
www.guardian.co.uk/transport/Story/0,,2159745,00.h...l

12 month ban and a £5000 fine/costs
Motorist convicted of Using a Laser Diffuser - PhilW
"who runs a laboratory equipment firm and drove some 140,000 miles a year"

How on earth did he have time to run his firm? - 140,000 miles a year is 383 miles every day for 365 days of the year. No wonder he had to speed!
--
Phil
Motorist convicted of Using a Laser Diffuser - henry k
Another well known newspaper quotes
"Judge Jacqueline Davies told Eady, who had driven more than 140,000 miles in the last four years:....."

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/20...l
Are Gatsos clever? - Badwolf
Here's a poser. Returning from the Highlands the other week with my colleague (both in coaches, him leading) we were driving along the A9, speed limit 60mph but for coaches and buses 50mph. Now, I know after a conversation with a friendly traffic cop that they turn a blind eye to coaches travelling at 60 as it helps the traffic flow. Same with trucks (restricted to 40mph). Anyhow, we were coming down the bit near Blair Athol and passed a Gatso. I checked my satnav before we both passed the Gatso and it said I was travelling at 61mph. As I looked in my mirror as we passed over the Gatso markings I noticed it flash, but I'm fairly sure it only flashed once. When we stopped at the next services we took out our tacho charts and these confirmed that we'd been travelling at 61.

Now, are Gatsos clever enough to tell that we were driving a large vehicle, and why did it only flash once?

Waiting for the boss to tell me he's got a brown envelope from Highlands and Islands Constabulary!
Mobile Speed Camera Etiquette - backtodiesel
I know that this might have already been covered and obviously I am only referring to the matter in relation to other countries where this is not an offence to do but does anyone else flash oncoming cars to warn of a mobile (ie covert) speed camera unit. I understand the need for fixed site speed cameras protecting us from our own stupidity at traffic blackspots but find it quite galling seeing these units hanging around behind bushes/lorries often after a corner. Please note I am a considerate, normally law abidings driver with no points/accidents under my belt yet!

Returning to the etiquette issue does anyone else flash the oncoming traffic and do you discern from flashing those who are clearly going to fast, Max Power readers or BMW drivers, etc.

What are peoples views on this?

Moved from a stand alone post. - PU
Mobile Speed Camera Etiquette - Bill Payer
I wouldn't flash to warn of the speed trap, but I might flash to alert other vehicles of my presence on the road. :-)

On the sometimes tricky rural A roads around where I live, I quite often flash (and others do it to me) to warn of an upcoming obstruction. HGV's drivers, although they're pretty good at sticking to 40 these days, seems to appreciate the 'heads up'. So it seems perfectly reasonable to warn other vehicles that the traffic ahead might be slowing as it approaches the 'accident blackspot'. (Not the 'Max Power' brigade, though - someone has to pay the fines).
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 47 - Kevin
Talking to one of my customers today he told me that they had just received a complaint from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (it's a diplomatic site).

The complaint was to remind them that staff were expected to abide by all the laws of their host nation.

So - what despicable deed warranted a warning from the FCO?

Taking pot-shots with an Uzi at the WPC walking past the gate?

Sprinkling Po210 in a dissident's afternoon tea?

Nope. - A member of staff's car had been flashed doing 35mph in a 30.

Kevin...
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 47 - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well they are expected to comply with the laws of OUR land but they have diplomatic immunity from prosecution. This has resulted in thousands of unpaid parking fines and USA embassy refuses to pay London congestion charge. A reminder that they are guests here and pointing their breaking of our laws doesn't seem like a bad idea! They get a warning letter and we get NIPs, heavy handed prosedutions and the bailiffs!
SPECS Cameras - Do they work at night? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Well obviously they can operate at night but, without any apparent source of illumination, can they read number plates at night?
SPECS Cameras - Do they work at night? - Dynamic Dave
can they read number plates at night?

Yes, via infrared.

www.speedcheck.co.uk/pressStory10.htm
SPECS Cameras - Do they work at night? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks for that DD! Off to the many unlimited speed autobahns for a week but only in a Focus!
New average speed cameras being installed M5 Jct28 - Devonboy78
Just a word of warning - contractors are busy installing a setup of average speed cameras just passed Jct 28 of the M5 southbound. They are tucked up in front of two bridges 1/2 a mile or so apart. In their defense (if this is possible for any type of scamera) they are bright orange/yellowish so fairly obvious. They are temporary for, I think, the roadworks that are just about to start on this stretch. I guess my cruise control set to 50 is going to get some use soon! I will post again when they appear operational. You have been warned! DB
Speed Cameras - Clk Sec
Does anyone know of a suitable link where I can view pictures of speed cameras? I'm interested in the ones that are positioned perhaps a 100 feet or so above street level.

Thanks
Speed Cameras - Dwight Van Driver
www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm

dvd
Speed Cameras - Clk Sec
Thanks for that, dvd.

I'm now thinking the item I see from time to time is not a camera, or cluster of cameras. It looks rather like eight pots in a circle, mounted on a tapered concrete fixture a good 100 feet or so above ground level.

There are two of these positioned about 70 yards apart either side of a busy junction / flyover.

Could this be additional lighting, I wonder?
Speed Cameras - Clk Sec
>>>There are two of these positioned about 70 yards apart either side of a busy junction / flyover

Sorry, I meant Roundabout / flyover!