Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Warlord
Good afternoon,

I confess to being the newest of the "new boys" - just joined today.

I need a bit of advice that is currently having an adverse effect on my pectorals!!!

Among my cars, I have a Hyundai Coupe 2.7 V6 (03 plate) and the washer bottle is causing me grief. After a long hot run (I commute from Kent to Paris each week) the washer fluid (inserted by the Hyundai agent) seems to render down to a gel and gives off an odour reminiscent to the most dire case of flatulence that any camel has ever had!!

Can anyone recommend a deodoriser to stick in the washer bottle to prevent this pong?? I do not have this problem with my other cars (Isuzu Trooper Citation and MR2 Twin Turbo)
Look forward to your help.
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Deryck Tintagel
Try a sterilising fluid as used for babies' bottles, etc. I had the same problem but I drainded the bottle, put in some sterilising fluid, and re-filled with water. Been fine since.
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Bill Payer
Try a sterilising fluid as used for babies' bottles etc.

It's called Milton.

Even premixed fluid kept in my garage seems to grow stuff.
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Bromptonaut
Try a sterilising fluid as used for babies' bottles etc. I had the same problem
but I drainded the bottle put in some sterilising fluid and re-filled with water. Been
fine since.

Some form of bacterial action?

Milton is fine but needs extreme care in handling; I lost count of the number of shirts I lost to bleached out splash marks while the little Bromps were bottle fed. An alternative is Bruclens, sold as a powder in homebrew shops then added to hot water. It's a cleaner as well as steriliser so more inclined to loosen gunge.

Make sure you rinse the washbottle out thoroughly then fill with Bruclens solution and leave to stand for 60mins before rinsing through twice.

Ditch the OEM screenwash and try Decosol or Halfords concentrate - in the latter case avoid the original fragrance which has a nasty aroma all of it's own (lemon is OK though).
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Brian Tryzers
>avoid the original [Halfords] fragrance

Oi! I like that stuff - assuming you mean the blue-green one. Works well too, and if you put it in the reservoir in concentrated form it would probably do your disinfecting for you. The smell problem, presumably, is due to bacteria that are able to metabolize the alcohol in the diluted fluid but do so in an oxygen-poor (anaerobic) environment, with consequent noxious emissions, especially if there's any sulphur about to combine with the C, H and O. It's probably the same phenomenon - and maybe even the same bacteria - that can give drains their characteristic aroma.

Alternatively, pop down to your local aquatics shop and buy a sparger - one of those bubble-generators fishy types use to aerate their tanks and keep the anaerobes at bay. I'm sure your friendly mechanic would plumb it in for you. }:---)
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Bromptonaut
The smell problem presumably is due to bacteria that are able
to metabolize the alcohol in the diluted fluid but do so in an oxygen-poor (anaerobic)
environment with consequent noxious emissions .

Sounds like some pubs I know!!!
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Brian Tryzers
But there'll be far more oxygen about once the smoking ban comes into force!
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Ian (Cape Town)
SAme problem - the jets got a bit weak a while back, and I found out that the little rubber plug at the bottom of the jet motor was clogged with what can best be described as a black algae.
The inside of the reservoir was coated in the stringy black gunk.
Very nasty indeed.
Took reservoir off, hot water wash and some bleach, refill, bob's your uncle, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it in future.
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Warlord
Thanks everyone, the Milton fluid is in the washer bottle, lets see how that performs.
Thanks for some very detailed tecnical/chemical analyses of a stink!!!
Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - Nsar
Have I got the same problem?

My washer jets now have a 1 second delay because the fluid is slightly gungy - and when the blades sweep it over to the edge of the screen it's like hair gel. Haven't noticed any smell though

My rear washer jet now doesn't work and I think it's going to be a devil to unclog it?

Any suggestions?

Stinky Widscreen Washer fluid - mike hannon
To the OP: If you are in France every week why not just pop into a supermarket and buy 5 litres of premixed washer fluid for about 4-5 euros?
I don't recall ever hearing of anyone having the sort of problem you have come across.