Choosing a registration number. - L'escargot
At one time (when buying a new car) you could ask a dealer if you could look through their list of available registration numbers and choose one. Has the latest numbering system put paid to this?
--
L\'escargot.
Choosing a registration number. - martint123
When my mate bought his new bike recently, he looked through a couple of dozen numbers that the dealer had available.
Choosing a registration number. - runboy
You can still choose your reg - I did with my new car in May - but the choice is limited to very random, non-word forming letters. Anything remotely like initials or a word are kept by DVLA to sell on for a higher price I suppose.

Being in East Anglia I was hoping to have at least AO07 but of course they have been kept behind so you can order a James Bond style reg with your initials from the DVLA.
Choosing a registration number. - jc2
We had a car near us in Essex that dated back before Bond films-OO 7007-must be worth a lot now.
Choosing a registration number. - drbe
We had a car near us in Essex that dated back before Bond films-OO 7007-must
be worth a lot now.

>>

It's on a Range Rover.
Choosing a registration number. - boxsterboy
Dealers still get issued with a batch of registrations, and so if you ask nicely they should be able to give you a choice (my Citroen dealer did when I bought my C4 in March). Some large chain dealers have centralised allocations and so you may not have a choice with them.
Choosing a registration number. - Steve Pearce
When I was buying a car a couple of years ago the dealer pointed out one of the registrations available ended with "5USY" (susie) which he thought was unusal to have just been generally released. I have no close connections with anyone named Susie but took it anyway.