BMW 5 Series iDrive. - cattleman6
Please could someone let me know if the iDive system is as bad as is painted.
This morning a beautiful black 5 series BMW past me and I thought what a lovely looking car it is with very good people carrying ability etc and with reasonable economy for a car of it's class. I have heard so many negative comments shouted about the awkward iDrive. I am not good with computers unfortunately.
Also I wonder what engine one should buy for economy with both plenty of long distance and daily city driving. I see the 520D is good; but one report said it was a bit under engined. I'm not interested in enormous performance, mainly sensible reasonably legal driving. They also recommended an auto gearbox rather than the manual one.
I will be extremely grateful for any information anybody can tell me on the subject.

BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Pugugly {P}
(I've deleted the double posting (in mod mode) )

No it isn't. People don't get it and possibly because on UK cars the vast majority of buyers are using it with the incorrect hand (left) if you're left handed (like me) I think you'll find intuitive enough. On the other hand (!) it isn't something that dominates the driving experience, once everything is set up to your liking you forget it. Pop along to your dealer and there is usually a demo system set up. Get a test drive and buy one.
I am very grateful for what you have said " Pugugly".
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - colinh
A lot of this I-drive "anti" comes from road testers (present company excepted) who think it would say something about their manhood if they read the manual.

However, the latest version in the X5 has 8 shortcut favourites buttons - presumably they will find their way into other models at upgrade time.
Thanks for replying and taking the trouble. I am relieved at what you say about the I-drive. Some of the road testers in their glossy magazines don't have enough time to properly get to know the cars.
Cattleman, I've moved your post over from Tech. but it went horribly wrong. I've sent a SOS to PG and DD, normal service should be back soon. PU

{DD to the rescue - have sorted}

Very many thanks for taking the trouble Pugugly. Much appreciated.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Cheeky
I'm sorry, but as a seasoned BMW driver, having owned three models previously, I test drove the current 5 series with i - drive and hated it. Only visible controls were very basic ones for for the heater/climate unit. Radio, Sat Nav and other everyday controls were governed by the i-drive console and frankly I considered its use far more dangerous tahn speaking on a hand held phone as your eyes are constantly drawn away from the road.
I cut my losses in the end and bought a late model 330i (E46) which doesn;t have I-drive and will move away from the BMW brand if it continues to be fitted to to most models.
Only option is to test drive, i f you get on well with it fine, but do give yourself the chance. Other than that, a very fine car.
It's interesting. If one looks up www.cartoday.com there is a write up with pictures of the 5 seies BMW. They have apparently added 8 buttons etc to help with the I-drive. Cartoday is always an excellent South African motoring website. They are very up to date. I actually lived out there for 18 years.Iam married to a South African and my daughter was born there. They like their BMWs there.Maybe there is real hope for the 5 series after all!!
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - cattleman6
Today I was passed by a brand new black BMW 5 series. In the sun it looked truly superb.
Please can someone give me some information on the best of the economical diesels and also is the manual gearbox OK, or does one have to have an automatic?
One report I read suggested that the 520D was not powerful enough for such a big car.
I see that they have made a very slight change for the better with the outside. I have been very kindly told not to worry about the iDrive, as that is not a problem anymore. My brother always buys BMWs and loves them.
I am also attracted to the 5 series because of it's great people carrying ability.It also has a fantastic boot. The 3 series is nice and indeed kinder on the pocket; but I need three adults in the back to be reasonably comfortable with leg space for long journeys. I know most cars even including the large 5 series have to have the large transmission tunnel. The middle rear passenger always has to suffer a little.

{Threads merged, as related - DD}
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - Bill Payer
Have you gone off the C Class?
No I haven't gone off the C Class; but I may have to go for something with more rear legroom, as I have to drive large distances often with the car full of passengers.I have been to many showrooms checking the rear foot space.At the moment I am genuinely honestly weighing up the options.I genuinely respect both these cars greatly.
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - 659FBE
Skoda Superb.

(Keep the change).

Beautiful BMW 5 series. - DrS
Difficult to argue with. Better ride, as well.
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - OldSkoOL
525d M sport is kind of the sweet spot, its not sporty quick and its not slow - unless you can push to the 530d M sport which is much quicker and then you think oh god i want the twin turbo 535d M sport and either plump for x-demo or get more finance :)

To be straight about it: In Southern Ireland all these classy cars cost a ridiculous amount. Far dearer than the UK.I drive up in Northern Ireland at least twice a week and go over to England to see relatives every once in a while. I am absolutely delighted with my Seat Toledo TDiSE. 1.9 110 bhp. I bought it new at the end of 1999. It has been incredibly reliable.It suddenly needed a new cylinder head gasget and new valves at 140,000 miles.When it was in the workshop, we hired a Mercedes C Class C 200 CDI. I did 1,000 miles in the Mercedes, which included many long return trips from busy Dublin and my daily crawl in very heavy city traffic with lots of potholes. Well both my wife and I were absolutely thrilled with the hired car. I am now very interested in buying the new C Class when it appears in showrooms.
Yesterday my breath was taken away by the black brand new 5 series BMW. They have definitely slightly improved the looks. Orrigionally I thought the design was a step too far; but in shiny black it looked superb yesterday.I will make up my mind properly when I get a chance to see the new C Class.Legroom in the middle of the rear seat is important; but I am certain the ride of the new C Class with it's special suspension will be hard to beat.I was so impressed with the back suport one got in the '07 older shape hired C Class.After 230 miles or so with both long distance and motorway cruising we were amazingly refreshed. Before we hired this car we thought people were just wasting their money. Now both my wife and I realise that the comfort etc which comes with cars of this class make them worthwhile if you drive a great deal like I do.
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - Blue {P}
Skoda Superb.
(Keep the change).

But will give the same thrill to drive off the forecourt with as I get when I buy a new toaster...

Blue
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - Pugugly {P}
One sentence says it all Blue !
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - Altea Ego
I have a new, red rubber covered dualit toaster. It is a tactile and mechanical delight and produces perfect toast to exactly the correct shade of darkness time after time.

Each time i slip in two slices of bread, and push down on the chrome lever, with its round red ball, to the point it gives a satisfying click, I get a feeling of satsifaction and delight.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Beautiful BMW 5 series. - Pugugly {P}
You are a very funny person.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Peter S
I've been using I-Drive for 2 years now, and can't say that it has never caused me any real problems. I personally can't see what use the short cut buttons would be, since you can access pretty much anything with a voice command anyway (requires bluetooth IIRC)

Peter
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - OldHand
It takes a bit of getting used to and is counter-intuitive and unergonomic. Not a great piece of design but I wouldn't let it put me off buying a BMW so equipped as the rest of the car more than makes up for it.
Wonder why on earth they did it though- 3 or 4 operations to change the radio station?????
My brother has owned a number of BMWs in his lifetime and has owned several 5 series estate cars. He needs them for work and has had wonderful service from them.He managed to get his last 5 series estate when the old shape was finally going out.So none of them had the I-drive system.
Wonder why on earth they did it though- 3 or 4 operations to change the
radio station?????

I guess they did it bceause there are so many functions embedded in the car now that without I-Drive the dashboard would be a mass of buttons. In real life I find it perfectly easy to use... the only way its 3 or 4 operations to change the radio station is if you're not currently listening to the radio, and deliberately go the long way through the menus.

I find the easiest way is just to use the voice control - just saying FM1, FM2 etc will just take you to those presets regardless of whats displaying on the screen. Failing that, if you're listening to the radio just use the channel up/down buttons on the steering wheel, and if you're not listening to the radio but a CD, use the source button on the steering wheel (then channel as appropriate). In addition, whereever you are in the menu (pre shortcuts) a push and hold in the relevant direction (ie 'entertainment') takes you straight to the last function you used in that menu (ie radio, if that's what you listen to). All becomes intuitive pretty quickly, and once you are used to it you have quicker access to far more functionality than in many other cars... I'm not saying its perfect, but its no where near as complex as people make out.

Just my thoughts...

Peter
Exactly Peter - so what's so difficult about it. Are you left handed by any chance ?
As it happens I'm not left handed Pugugly, though can see that might make it even more intuitive. I really don't see what the problem is though; I've done around 40k miles with I-Drive, and although it took a couple of weeks to learn what functionality was available (rather than how to access it...) I think its a perfectly acceptable solution to the problem of button overload on the dash. In contrast, our Megane II CC has no Sat Nav or Bluetooth, and standard climate control, CD and CD Multichanger. It has far more buttons on the dashboard to control far less functionaility...

Peter
Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me this Peter. I will take proper note of this.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Altea Ego
I recently had a short test drive (1 hour - 30 miles) in a new 535d, fully loaded.

I am a computer expert, and in my opinion the entire car is an ergonomic disaster zone.
Frankly the mondeo is a better car in nearly every way.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Frankly the mondeo is a better car in nearly every way.

You mean other than the excellent RWD chassis, high power engines that actually do provide a modicum of thrust and the excellent tech toys like the HUD?
It had none of them, so yes its better.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
So a 2 generations old car with low power engines, an excellent but necessarily limited FWD chassis and technology from the ark is better in your opinion?

Frankly yes. I was shocked by how mediocre and uninspiring this 5 series was. Nothing about it was special, the ergonomics were rubbish (the sat nav was out of sight, the i-drive was a pain in the, the voice recognition? something like an airplane movie. The ride was no better than the touran and the handling was not much better - a focus beats it hands down.

Had i paid for this car, or it was on my BIK, I would be gutted I had wasted so much money.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The ride was no better than the touran and the handling was not much better
- a focus beats it hands down.

I was with you right up to this point. A focus does not beat a 5 series hands down and neither does a Mondeo- at least in my opinion and of more or less everybody else in the world. It's rear driven for a start, the balance of the car is unbelievable for a saloon and the steering is precise and well weighted.........and that's before we even start on the engines. Maybe you're right and everyone else is wrong, there are people out there who believe the earth is flat...........
It matters not, I have traveled around the world, havenet fallen off the edge, and I still consider the 5 series a shocking disapointment. You cant change any of those facts.

The problem is I think that I have not driven a beemer for some time, probably about 5 years. To find out its actually no better than a car half its price is - to say the least - suprising.

But then I dont have to justify wasting so much money on my car, with so little tangible benefit other than snob value. How about you?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
But then I dont have to justify wasting so much money on my car with
so little tangible benefit other than snob value. How about you?

No I bought a high performance Audi which has no peers. As I've said here before the 535D I test drove was a massive dissapointment to me with it's heavy and uninspiring power plant. However it was still light years ahead of anything mainstream manufacturers offer with diesel powerplants. Anyone who doesn't think a 6 cylinder diesel pushing out well over 280bhp and 560nm isn't in a different league to the best 4 cylinders on offer from the likes of Ford is either lying, insane or on drugs.
Likewise the V8 and V10 petrols. These cars are better- tangibly. If you're talking about poverty spec cars with small engines you might have a point. Unless of course you are leasing one in which case the BMW is probably cheaper.........

Actually I almost forgot about the Alpina D3- nothing any other manufacturer makes offers it's blend of low taxation class and power. Not to mention RWD which is part of the reason BMW's steer so well..........
I've just seen Fifth Gear's article on the M5 Touring - dynamics apart - I can guarantee you that nothing, I repeat nothing on earth sounds like that V10.....I want one.
I totally agree. I saw Tiffs drive with the M5 saloon. Get me one please!!!!! If only they could remove that confounded I-drive. It didn't seem to stop Tiff. His fuel consumption was a tiny bit heavy when he pressed P for power? He enjoyed thrashing it at the circuit at Pau in the South of France I think. I saw one of those M5 saloons in black at a major BMW showroom when I visited Portadown the other day. It looked incredible. If I brought that back to Dublin, the tax I would have to pay in the Republic would destroy me!!
Pau isn't a full time circuit- it's a fantastic street race that everyone should go and see. The thrill of watching Cosworth DFV powered Formula One cars blasting round normal roads has to be seen to be believed. They also do a F3 euro series and Porsches some weekends later. Tiff's report was partially done there but mostly at Arnos a circuit some distance away from Pau.
It really is unbelievable that such a great company makes such a mess with the I-drive and doesn't correct it. The present % series came out in 2003 (correct me please if I am wrong).Surely if something is very troublesome in such a popular car they will improve it. As I said before, my brother has driven very extensively for many many years with mainly 5 series BMW and he has had fantastic service. He didn't buy the new BMW 5 series though.He also drives an older M3.
I know Mercedes got in to appalling reliability problem, but they are definitely doing a lot about it. Certain unreliable parts are being replaced.I have read quite a bit about it and the company is obviously making big changes.
To change the subject, the present 5 series is a lovely looking car with good load carrying capabilities. When it appeared it was very highly rated.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - IanJohnson
>> Frankly the mondeo is a better car in nearly every way.
>> ------------------------------
You mean other than the excellent RWD chassis high power engines that actually do provide
a modicum of thrust and the excellent tech toys like the HUD?

I am with TVM in this - 5 series is very disapointing and my drive was more than 30 miles.

Also what is the use of RWD high powered chassis when most people who have them don't know how to control them. e.g I drove to Swindon one morning in falling snow (just started in Lichfield, six inches 20 miles north of Swindon - One 5 series was seen sliding off the M40 (only excuse is terrible driving since there was only just a covering), and five other BMWs in ditches (Moreton-Stow_Lechlade road). Nothing else seen having any trouble with the conditions.

It is illegal to use all the performance in good conditions and dangerous in bad conditions.

The ergonomics are terrible.

But it has that blue and white badge so they sell!
Very interesting and distressing facts Ian Johnson.Thanks for taking the trouble. Obviously BMW are one of a number of prestige brands which are having this sort of trouble. I was reading that the new 3 series has excellent grip and driving ability. I saw a report by a very sucessful businessman. He had lots of trouble with his Bentley and said the cheaper the cars he had in the past were the most reliable.I mentioned before that my Seat Toledo TDiSE from the end of 1999 and assembled for the Uk in Belgium by VW at that time( assembly of Toledo went back to Spain later). I have quantities of extras at no extra cost including C-CD Auto changer, heated moving mirrors,climate control,traction control,stability control, a lovely soft leather steering wheel etc etc. Pages of extras. They all still work after 142,000 miles and the car is still on it's orrigional battery, also the orrigional key fob battery and orrigional clutch.I am just saying this not to advertise present Seats,but to make a point. The car cost £17,000 when it first appeared in that nice shape at the end of 1999.
BMW have and do make incredible cars; but please remove what's troublesome and unreliable? I suppose the cost of major change inside(the outside of the 5 series is beautiful)would be astronomical;but not doing something will totally destroy the reputation of what could be an incredible car.
Also to make a point about costs: certain makes like VW and Peugeot use similar fronts on many of their cars.Not to do so would destroy the companies financially.Some of the fronts don't suit the smaller cars and suit the larger cars better.
But it has that blue and white badge so they sell!

>>

Some truth in that although the type of individuals who think a BMW mean they've 'made it' are not only deluded but extremely sad little people. Likewise the ergonomics of RHD BMW's have always been suspect, it just got worse with the IDRIVE piled on top

However there's also quite a lot of what I would call 'total garbage' in your comments. I'll rebutt the nonsense point by point.

"It is illegal to use all the performance in good conditions and dangerous in bad conditions."- incorrect, it's quite possible to use all the performance of even the M5 legally. How about from the lights onto a national speed limit dual carriageway? Or 2nd gear to overtake a caravan crawling at 20mph up a hill?

Furthermore I find comments like 'most people who have them don't know how to control them' annoying as well as unprovable. Your anecdotes about some numpties in Swindon and the M40 aren't evidence that BMW drivers are unable to control their vehicles. Moreover the fact that their cars are difficult to control in snow is nothing whatsoever to do with their power but actually a product of having very wide low profile tyres and therefore no grip. You don't even understand the process taking place.

Personally I don't believe anyone who had a proper test drive of a decent 5 series would regard it as inferior to a Mondeo. Simply because it isn't - so there!

I don't own one BTW, I just hate reading such ill informed drivel.
"Frankly the mondeo is a better car in nearly every way"

No-don't think so.
No worries - be aware of the number of steps involved in changing the clock for BST though...

1) Walk up to car, pressing remote to unlock, and open door
2) Insert key
3) Press ?start? button to activate electrical systems
4) Wait 34 seconds (I timed it?) for I-Drive to boot up
5) Press controller down to select ?Settings? menu
6) Scroll down to ?Display Settings?
7) Click to select
8) Nudge controller up to exit the last ?Display Settings? menu you were in
9) Scroll along to ?Time & Date? settings
10) Press controller down to select
11) Scroll down to ?Time?
12) Nudge controller right to the hour field
13) Scroll forward one hour
14) Press ?Menu? button to exit
15) Press ?Start? button to shut down the electrical systems
16) Push key to remove
17) Leave car and lock

Apart from that, it's perfect ;-)

Peter
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Dynamic Dave
No worries - be aware of the number of steps involved in changing the clock
for BST though...

All I have to do with my Vectra is to switch the stereo on and the RDS signal auto updates the clock for me ;o)
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Baskerville
4) Wait 34 seconds (I timed it?) for I-Drive to boot up

That alone is a shocking indictment. Why is that even remotely acceptable?
Like the idea of the voice commands but had no chance to try that out as the car I was test driving didn't speak English!

However what I did notice is that the salesman who gave me a familiarisation drive before letting me loose in his 535D weaved all over the road when he was looking over at what menu he was in. Not something I ever do when I reach over to the tuning knob of my radio..............
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Mercian
I haven't driven a 5 Series yet, though had been contemplating one (a 525d SE Auto, having discounted the 3 series) but haven't been able to find anywhere that had anything in SE spec to try nearby that hadn't already beenn sold - all M Sports apparently ("because that's what people want...").

Eventually heard so much bad press about the I-drive that I decided not to bother and, after much deliberation and procrastination, had finally decided that I was going to order an A6 Avant 2.7TDi.

Just to be sure, after a number of short drives, I still had my doubts about the MMI so I took one out for half a day. Well, I have heard that the Audi MMI was more intuitive than the BMW but it won't be an Audi A6 for me.

What a nightmare! A central MMI controller dial, with a four quadrant screen (coupled to one in the centre of the main dials), surrounded by screen quadrant switches and function buttons, placed on both the dash and surrounding the central console, using words or symbols that should be intuitive but to my simple mind aren't. Despite a great engine and gearbox, and everything else being perfect, I just couldn't get on with it - too much time spent eyes diverted from the road. My partner took on look at it and that was it...we sat on the drive with it for an hour and thought "sod this".

It may be me who is the luddite but my V70 dash is an ergonomic masterpiece. The BMW dash looks almost bare in comparison. The old A6 dash was lovely - getting into my father's old Allroad was a real pleasure after the new A6.

Horses for courses I guess - but I will now try to try a 5 series again.
Pity they make a mess out of Audi also. There will be a new Audi A 4 coming out next year. Because of the competition that should be jolly good. I think I will definitely go for a new Mercedes C Class. The system in that is apparently a simplified version of what goes in to the Mercedes S Class.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Westpig
Like the idea of the voice commands but had no chance to try that out
as the car I was test driving didn't speak English!

I've got the voice activation stuff in my car, which i've had for 5 years now.........and think it's a complete waste of time....gimmick really. The only time i've ever used it is on the odd occasion i want to play a particular track on a CD, so it'll go straight to it.... or to 'balance' the climate if a passenger has fiddled with it on their side, because i can't remember how to do it manually and it's irritating when you adjust it and only one side moves up or down.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - flunky
or to 'balance' the climate if a passenger
has fiddled with it on their side because i can't remember how to do it
manually

Sounds like poor design, surely you just need two knobs, one for the passenger, one for driver side.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Westpig
if they are balanced, when you adjust the driver's side, the passenger side adjusts as well. If a passenger adjusts their side, it changes on its' own i.e. the driver's side does not change with it. When you then adjust the driver's side again, it doesn't do the passenegr side as they are not balanced. There's obviously a way of balancing them manually, but i've not worked it out and use the voice activation to do it.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - IanJohnson
How long before using I-Drive is illegal on the move! Worse than a handheld phone because you take your eyes off what is going on outside the car!
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - CJay{P}
Anyone reading about the I-drive is likely to come to the conclusion that it is a total disaster.

BMW replaced E39 with the E60 in 2003. Year on year E60 sales have easily outperformed the E39. So, whatever the vocal minority thinks of the I-drive, an increasing number of people have taken on board the concept and went on the buy the car.

BMW 5 Series iDrive. - DP
I was passeng-ing in a mate's Terrano and we cautiously overtook a very erratically driven E60 on the M40 not long after they were launched. The driver was maroon in colour, gesticulating wildly, and wiggling the I-Drive controller so hard I thought he was going to break it off.

Gave us a good chuckle for a few miles anyway. Wonder what he was trying to do?
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Brian Tryzers
>The driver was maroon in colour, gesticulating wildly...

You're sure that was the I-drive stick in his hand?
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - Mercian
I did try a basic 520d SE today. The I-drive was not bad actually. I wouldn't want to have to work loads of extras through it but it was relatively easier to work the basics (Radio, CD-changer) and the aircon etc can be worked through the basic switches - once it's set up, I suspect it's not a big issue. It booted up straight away but I could imagine it's a nightmare if it plays up - as for setting the clock, well - that's what watches are for I guess! I can't understand why people think the A6 MMI is better - that's a plethora of switches scattered all over. At least the I-drive pretty much uses one dial and easily read, menu screen - Audi will be using Windows Vista next year probably...

A faff, but I could live with it - more so than perhaps the rest of the rather cold, stark cabin, which seemed to be too basic functional, yet not very ergonomic.
A very sensible letter Mercian.I really don't see why it should be harder to understand than the systems put in to competitors. I was relieved with what you wrote.
I put it in twice already; but I would be grateful if people in the know would actually type in to Google search www.cartoday co.za or www.cartoday. com then scroll to near the bottom of the page and click on the little picture of the BMW 5 series. It proves they have updated in several ways, including adding the eight buttons to help simplify the I-drive.They obviously sell it a lot in South Africa. They assembled quantities of right hand drive 3 series in South Africa in the Eastern Cape, like VW and Mercedes etc etc.Toyota is always the most popular in South Africa. Their slogan out there was" Everything keeps going right Toyota". To be fair most things did go right with Toyota when I was living there. I owned VWs and did big reliable mileage when I was there.
Just to say, that if you print in www.cartoday.co.za or even www.cartoday.com and just click on the small picture of the BMW 5 series in the gallery lower on the page, it is an interesting article about the new alterations for the better including the eight buttons to help with the I-drive.
I was driving around today extensively in Northern Ireland. I was amazed at how many new 5 series I saw. They are selling like hot cakes.
After doing investigation, I definitely think they have improved the 5 series very recently.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - nb857
I'll almost certainly never be in the market for 5 series, but I like the look of it.

But what's this iDrive all about? A car is a very simple machine and doesn't need to be complex at all. All it does is drive along a hard piece of ground some times with passengers, some times without, sometimes with some stuff in but usually not. It doesn't have to perform different tasks, or multiple tasks. So why the complexity?

Oh, oldhand sir, 560nm of torque, really isn't much for 280 hp, 1200nm would be nearer the mark, that is from a proper man sized engine that has to do a days work. ;-), quite a lot for a little car engine I guess...
After reading all the reports nb857 I will definitely be buying a new C 220 CDI Mercedes as my next car. When I hired a C 200 CDI recently and did 1,000 miles in it, I found it a true delight. I look forward to getting one of the new shape ones.I found the car was so easy to drive.I got used to the foot operated parking brake. No problem for me even with manual gearbox in heavy traffic.The best test drive is to have a good excuse for hiring when my own car got laid up.My wife paid the extra so I would find out what the car really was like.After twelve delightful days I had found out. It also has no I-drive!!
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - flunky
After reading all the reports nb857 I will definitely be buying a new C 220
CDI Mercedes as my next car.
It also has no I-drive!!

Neither does the obvious competitor, the BMW 3-series (unless you pay extra).
Flunky you are absolutely right. I realise that the very successful competitor of the C Class is the 3 series.I have been to showrooms to check them out etc.. The E Class Mercedes and Audi A6 are the correct competitors; but here in the Irish Republic the E Class is rather expensive.It's the dearest of it's group;but I actually think it is a superb car.As in my mind the new E Class is the top car of it's class. They have removed certain unreliable bits I have been told.The Audi A6 is a truly lovely car though. They made it even longer than the Mercedes E Class and the BMW 5 series.

People probably know it already; but there is another even bigger Mercedes E Class being planned, after the new Audi A4 next year they will have to replace the present A 6 Audi.I saw what might be next 5 series BMW ( a bit mellowed down with looks). I do think the present 5 series looks absolutely superb with it's recent slight improvement. If BMW get it right, they will have the world at their feet.
I just found out through autospies, that someone managed to fix his older shape 5 series BMW by logging on to the computer. BMW have a specialist site which tells you how to fix certain things. Apparently it is rather hard to repair certain modern cars, as the complicated technology is sometimes hard for the mechanics.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - rtj70
The new C-Class is said to be a big improvement on the old one. But assume you're try that out when available. The Sport model looks a little better in my eyes.

As it's only about 2 weeks away, if you can wait, try the new Mondeo. About the size of a 5-Series. Not saying get one but use that as a comparison first - the depreciation will be higher.

Although on depreciation, a colleague owning a previous model E-Class was singing it's praises and low depreciation (it was the first of the bad Mercs for relibability). He was quoting percentage retained etc. I then did the maths and pointed out the higher percentage retained could still be more real money lost over 3 years than on say a VW Passat or Audi A4! He went quiet. He'd persuaded himself he was losing less money and he was not. Just retaining more of his outlay.
Thanks very much for your very interesting letter rtj70.I will properly study the facts and I am very grateful at the facts you gave me.
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - rtj70
I hope my comments help in at least a small way. The sport new Merc C class is in my opinion a very nice car. Not quite the same "driver's car" as a 3 series but very good. e.g.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/20891...l

Not that I've driven it ;-)
I am actually going along in the morning to look at one if they have one of the new ones in the showroom.I think the special suspension will give a very nice ride.Both that and the 3 series are very nice cars.
Your comments rtj70 certainly do help and I am very grateful.I actually have a great deal of respect for Mercedes, BMW and Audi. They all produce some superb cars and they watch each other like a hawk. Just wait for the new Audi A4 that is due to appear next year.They will have to replace the A6 after that. I love the advert of the A6 quatro on the ski slope. I love that advert!
BMW 5 Series iDrive. - mrmender
This morning a beautiful black 5 series BMW past me and I thought what
a lovely looking car it is with very good people carrying ability etc and with

I'm sorry but err..... IMO it is one of the ugliest cars ever NO STYLE whatsoever .

spaced it out the a bit to make it more readable - see totally unbiased moderating ! - PU
mrmender I am certainly not an Imo,I don't know about you. At first I didn't like the look of the present 5 series; but it certainly looks a lot better with the small alterations they did lately to it. You may not like it; but I can assure you that the heck of a lot of people do like the looks and I just happened to see plenty of black ones which did happen to look nice when they are polished and in sunny weather.. There are many colours I like on a car. My present one is dark blue and the three before that were silvery grey.
I am rather fond of the understated elegance of some Mercedes cars to be honest. You may have seen I am rather keen on checking the new C Class out when it appears in showrooms. The C Class ( old shape) which I hired recently was in a type of metallic with light brown. It is a common colour for that car and it suits it.Really dark colours like black and dark blue look terrible if the car is dirty.

Duplicated post deleted ! v2 PU