MOT on used car - flunky
If buying a 3.5-year old used car, say for £8,000 from a dealer, it will likely have several months MOT on it.

But that not withstanding, is it logical to go and get another one at the cost of £50, on the basis that it is a cheap, albeit incomplete, form of inspection, safety check-up, and if there's anything wrong with it, you will quite likely get the dealer to pay for it.

Is this a sensible way thing to do?
MOT on used car - Pugugly {P}
I would get them to MoT it and put 12 months on it for you.
MOT on used car - yorkiebar
why not ask for mot as part of the deal?

But mot test is a snapshot of basic condition of car; not a roadworthy report or anything.

Would suggest £ 50 would be better spent asking a mechanic to look at car for you.
MOT on used car - Aprilia
I would expect a dealer to put a new MoT on an £8k car - even if only to cover himself. MoT is a basic check - if spending £8k then consider a full vehicle inspection (c.£200, or around 3% of cost of car).
MOT on used car - local yokel
I can't imagine a dealer even attempting to sell a car at £8,000 without a fresh MoT - what kind of confidence can you have in the condition of the product if they can't spend £50 on a fresh MoT?
MOT on used car - Chris White
Agree with the other posters, spending that sort of money I'd expect a fresh MoT and walk away if they refuse
MOT on used car - flunky
Agree with the other posters spending that sort of money I'd expect a fresh MoT
and walk away if they refuse

You wouldn't get one at a car supermarket.
MOT on used car - a900ss
>> Agree with the other posters spending that sort of money I'd expect a fresh
MoT
>> and walk away if they refuse

Yes you do.

I bought a car from Car Giant. The deal was if I wanted a 12 month ticket vs what was left, I paid for the MOT test but they paid for any work that was required. Seemed a fair enough deal to me.

'Car supermarkets' are basically just big independent used car dealers. What they will or won't give varies from one to another, and these things can be negotiated.
MOT on used car - Boggy
The orange 'advisory' notice that accompanies the green pass (or red fail) notice will flag up anything suspect that could cause problems such as corroded brake pipes or slightly duff shocks that will not neccesarily fail the test but serve as a warning for future 'open wallet surgery' - I think its a good idea Flunky. £50 peace of mind against an outlay of eight grand......
MOT on used car - Dwight Van Driver
But if the selling garage also issues a MOT then they can be said to have a vested interest????????

Far better an independent inspection or as suggested a qualiofied mechanic let loose.

dvd
MOT on used car - local yokel
DWD - if the selling garage issued a dodgy MoT and were found out by VOSA then I wouldn't like to be too close by....issuing a dodgy MoT like that is not worth the margin on an £8,000 SH sale.
MoT regs can definitely get 'bent' a bit on a car sale - seen it myself more than once. A lot of MoT items are 'subjective'. The buyers does get protection though, in that if any MoT'able defects come to light in the first 30 days he can go to VOSA for an 'reverse appeal' and get the MoT voided and have a cast-iron case for money back.