05 1.25 difficult gears (cold) - mfarrow
Hi all.

My Grandma has been complaining about her Fiesta. It apparantly idles quite high for the first few minutes or so when cold, and in that time the gear selection is difficult if not impossible. It will take some doing to find 1st, and is notchy into the other gears.

Took it for a spin, admittedly when warm, and found no problem with syncho on all gears, would sync into 1st from 3rd no problem at about 30mph. Clutch bite point is not high.

We're struggling to find the route of the problem. Is it to do with the high idling? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

--------------
Mike Farrow

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/08/2008 at 19:22

05 Fiesta 1.25 difficult gears (cold) - Screwloose
Mike

Talk to your dealer. Clutch drag when cold is a known issue on some of the Fiestas and their variants.

I think there's a tech bulletin out about it. You dealer will be able to see if it applies to yours.
05 Fiesta 1.25 difficult gears (cold) - mfarrow
Thanks Screwloose

It was taken to the dealership a couple of weeks ago for an unrelated safety recall, when I think the fault was mentioned, but nothing was mentioned about a TSB from the dealer.

--------------
Mike Farrow
05 Fiesta 1.25 difficult gears (cold) - doctorchris
My old dad, nearly 80, finds it hard to engage reverse when his Mazda 2 is cold (same transmission). I have been unable to replicate this and suspect he is not pushing the clutch down far enough or not allowing a little time before he engages the gear after pressing the clutch.
suspect he is
not pushing the clutch down far enough

This was what we wondered also. My sister has driven it however and encountered the same problem. Besides which it affects all gears to some degree.

Unfortunately it's a Sunday and no service departments are open. Screwloose, have you got any more information about this TSB you mention: the specs/years it affects and the likely solution?

Thanks in advance.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Mike

I have enough trouble remembering all the details of my particular speciality.... It's just a niggling thought that I'd heard something - probably over a coffee in a dealer's workshop - concerning clutch drag on Fiesta's.

It could have been as little as somebody mentioning that they'd had to do a lot of them etc. It would have been about three years ago and no vehicle details were mentioned; so you'll have to ask your dealer to run your car's VIN through their system and see if there's a clutch TSB out on it.
Bump!

I seem to recall I did make that phone call, but guy on the other end couldn't think of a TSB applicable for this model. However I have now read in HJ's CBCB that the recall was for a cylinder actuation rod falling out, nothing to do with the hydraulics.

The reason I have resurrected this thread is that I too drove it the yesterday and experienced exactly the same fault. Tried putting into reverse several times whilst stationary (and after leaving clutch pedal in for a couple of seconds) and teeth grind like hell! First is very resistive, and goodness knows how the other gears are once on the move.

This is definitely a clutch/hydraulics fault now, and not just old people's driving style. Question is, how do I diagnose the fault (only happens occasionally when cold), is it worth replacing the slave, and can we get anything off Ford now car is out of warranty by 4 months but fault was communicated to them a year ago?

The very last thing I want to do is take the gearbox off.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Edited by mfarrow on 10/08/2008 at 18:14

Mike

I don't know where the clutch actuation rod is on a concentric cylinder? This one definitely sounds like a hydraulic fault; so maybe a bleed is in order?
I don't know where the clutch actuation rod is on a concentric cylinder?

I should have clarified - the rod's between the pedal and the master cylinder. You're right it is concentric cylinder.

How does one bleed this system? Should there be a nipple on the pipework or on the gearbox itself? Is it a pressure bleed kit that's required?

Edited by mfarrow on 10/08/2008 at 20:03

Well it turned out to be in warranty - YAY!!!! But it refuses to show it's true colours to the dealers - BOOO!!!!

So, we're back to square one. It's certainly holding onto the torque, however it will only crunch for a second time if you change out of gear, lift the clutch, then put the clutch back. Could this still be hydraulic given this condition?

At the moment as it's under warranty I'm reluctant to do anything like spill brake fluid all over it, which I'd probably do if I touch it!
Mike

Maybe if you left it overnight with the dealer?

Even if it won't do it for them; they should still accept that you're not complaining for the sake of it and drop the box for a look.
Maybe if you left it overnight with the dealer?

We've done that, and shown that it crunches in reverse gear, but they're still convinced its either non-existent or normal behaviour. We know it's not normal but the dealer are scared in case they end up not finding an obvious physical fault and ending up out of pocket.

They've even tried selling her a new one, which is almost an admission in itself.

The second-nearest dealer is 15 miles away, but I don't know whether to trek there or try Ford direct ??? It's not like she can be without it, and is over the age limit for courtesy cars.

Edited by mfarrow on 24/08/2008 at 21:13

I'd push them for a new clutch kit before the warranty expires. That should cover most of the possible causes - and they'll have to bleed it when fitting the new release bearing.
Managed to get a brand new clutch kit fitted in the end from supplying dealer - looks promising so far. Invoice includes lots of nuts and bolts which I'm sure they could have re-used.

Thanks again.