4 Wheel drive (cars) - Stu
I'd be interested in hearing views on the merits (?) of 4 wheel drive as fitted to road cars (not off-roaders). Typically Quattro with Audis.

Presumably there is a loss of accelaration and fuel efficiency? ...more drag, two gearboxes.

Also given typical UK weather is rarely extreme, and roads are fairly good, are there really and benefits if you're using the car as your everyday transport?

A high percentage of newer Audis seem to be Quattros, is this another 'fashion badge' or, if the extra cost is not an issue, is it worth having?

Opinions eagerly sought.

Cheers.
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
Stu wrote:
>
> I'd be interested in hearing views on the merits (?) of 4
> wheel drive as fitted to road cars (not off-roaders)

No doubt others with greater experience will come along and correct me. But I don't think there's much to be gained from 4wd in a normal road-going car. I've owned both front and rear wheel drive cars over the years, but the only 4wd road car I ever drove was a Subaru Impreza. What impressed me with that (and I found it the same with the Range Rover and my current RAV4) is the neutral cornering. Great for twisty-turny country lanes. You put it on a line and it stays where you put it -- end of story. I suspect you're right, Stu, when you suggest it's not much more than a 'fashion badge'. I suppose there's always a bit of "I could if I wanted to...", maybe?
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Andrew Bairsto
With uk speed limits what they are there can be no benefit unless
you want to offroad it.Its like all the 4x4 you see that never go of asphalt,what a waste of money.I personally have a 99 Chevy Blazer 4x4 that is used for towing and lots of offroad use .
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Stu
Thanks Guys, I was looking at an Audi Quattro Avant, 35k miles, M plate, still quite tempting......
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
Stu wrote:
>
> Thanks Guys, I was looking at an Audi Quattro Avant, 35k
> miles, M plate, still quite tempting......

OK, Stu... now you've had the benefit of our considered opinion tell us, why are you still tempted!

Martyn
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Stu
Martyn

Well, it's known, imaculate, full dealer history, leather, air con, cd, low mileage, fair price, etc. etc. and I can't get them to remove the 4x4.

A quality car which has had its big depreciation.

I just wanted to know if anyone had a reason for avoiding a Quattro.

Don't forget the 'twisty-turny bits' you mentioned.

I do value your comments, I could always remove the badge!

I'll go and crawl under a rock.

Stu
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Ash Phillips
I've heard that 4x4 can push the envelope for cornering etc. until you push too far and then it can cause problems. I dont know whether its the actual 4x4 or the higher speed that's the problem. I remember a few articles in 80's car mags about this but not much since, but I would imagine if you were having a "moment" it would be difficult to try and correct any waywardness if the car is swapping power from end to end. You dont need to be going fast to lose it, just in the wrong circumstances, so it would be a concern to me. Anyone have any experience of this?
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Barry White
The concerns Ash has relate to when the car finally lets go ! in the 80s when the original Audi quattro came on the market, drivers were overwhelmed at the cornering abilities, however it still had the same braking abilities as an "ordinary" car so a few people got themselves into trouble.

Having owned an original 1985 Quattro and a 1990 100 avant turbo quattro I can thoroughly reccomend this type of car. The 4wd gives immense grip on any dodgy surface and I never had any bother with the system.

Go and take the plunge - you'll not regret it - I've got a Golf 4motion now which is equally brilliant, (I need the 4wd as I Live on a steep hill) you can get these brand new for 18 grand from Motorpoint.
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - John Slaughter
I think this is where the problems occur. Four wheel drive makes the most of the available traction, but it can't ignore the laws of physics! So, braking is no better than 2wd and you're able to get nearer the limits of traction and cornering. So you can gain a false impression of how good the road surface is. However, as you say, when it does let go you're in trouble! I ran a Range Rover for a while, and believe me when they let go you know about it!

Regards

john
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Kevin Alder
I think it was Citroen a few years ago who developed a system which prevented the car from leaning over when cornering. How close then could you get to the limits of traction without realising it?

I believe that on the public highway you should not normally get much more than about halfway to the "performance limits" of your vehicle. That way you've always got more than enough in hand to deal with the unexpected.

If you want to discover just what those limits are, you should use the safety-cocooned environment of a test track.
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - John Slaughter
Kevin

I fully agree with what you say. The Citroen system was called Activa (I think). A development of their hydopneumatic system which virtually eliminated body roll. One press comment was exactly like yours- it was dangerous because the driver had no feedback as to how close he or she was to the limit.

Regards

John
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - Chris
As John says it was Activa. As I recall Citroen actually had to build in some body roll to the software because drivers kept finding themselves upside down in ditches.

Having recently been driving a Citroen BX, I must say the suspension does give a false impression of road surface, but not in a dangerous way. It just means you don't have to look for your false teeth after they've been shaken out. last week I was tailgated along a straight piece of single track unclassified road by some idiots in a souped up 306. Once I had the old thing wound up to sixty-ish the 306 was all over the road. Eventually they couldn't handle the shaking any more and backed off. Fantastic. Wish I had the money for a C5.

Chris
Re: 4 Wheel drive (cars) - simon fitzpatrick
I've got an A4 1.9 tdi quattro - absolutely brilliant - it does just what I tell it to. I've never been of road in it, spend most of the time up & down the M1. But I do feel safe, & it's got me out of 1 or 2 sticky moments. I'm about to trade it in for a new one (2.5 v6 tdi q). I'd recommend it.