Pathetic Passat gets the Push - Morris Ox
Coming to the end of my tether with a 99V Passat 110 TDi that has, in the past 15 months, cost me neary £1,800 in repairs and servicing. It still looks lovely (I polish it every time I wash it), it still averages just under 49mpg, it's still a great family hack, it's only done 62,000.

But an average of nearly £120 a month on repairs and servicing tells its own story about the difference between a car that looks high quality and a car that is high quality - I've had two rear door latch failures, a failed air mass sensor, new front brakes, new front suspension arm, and numerous untraceable rattles. And a new cambelt. What next?

It's got to go. But what do I replace it with? I need something that matches its carrying capacity, economy, comfort. I've thought about a C-Max, a Mondeo estate, even a Picasso.

I reckon I might get £2.5k part ex for the Passat and can stump up another £6k or so.

Suggestions and advice (esp from HJ himself if he has a mo) would be welcome.

Pathetic Passat gets the Push - bell boy
if you have paid £1800 for just those items i suggest you move rather than replace the car
Pathetic Passat gets the Push - Aprilia
I've had two rear door latch failures a failed air mass
sensor new front brakes new front suspension arm and numerous untraceable rattles. And a new
cambelt. What next?

These are all pretty standard Passat failings and not dear to fix (apart from the door latches, which are a bit dear from the dealer). Cambelt is a normal service item. Rattles don't cost anything do they.. ;-)

If you are doing fairly low miles (which is how it looks to me) then don't bother with a Diesel. Get a used petrol Avensis II, Accord or 2003-on Subaru Legacy.
Pathetic Passat gets the Push - 659FBE
I could forgive you for not wishing to give VAG any more of your hard earned cash. I shortlisted a diesel Passat as a candidate for my (now present) car, with the proviso that it had a euro Cat III engine - no particulate filter. I and my family also have long legs.

This all came together fairly well. The Skoda Superb is a stretched Passat with reasonable rear legroom (I find most cars are as intolerable as aeroplanes in this respect) and depreciates at an alarming rate. Buy a 2 year old, get the old 130 PS AWX engine without the particulate filter and you have an excellent galvanised long term bangernomic. Don't try selling it though.

I've had a really good look at this car and dismantled some of it to fit items such as a towbar and extra electical equipment. The build standard is better than the VW badged (bodged?) equivalent.

Pathetic Passat gets the Push - 659FBE
Fair comment from Aprilia. The door latches almost always just require the microswitch replacing - available from Maplins. There is a lot of Passat information on the Internet, which is an essential ingredient of a good bangernomic.

Pathetic Passat gets the Push - tyro
Suggestions and advice (esp from HJ himself if he has a mo) would be welcome.

You can, of course, email him directly.

Would a Berlingo 1.6 Hdi 92 be a possibility? You could almost get a new one for that kind of money.
Pathetic Passat gets the Push - mike hannon
Nice to see a familiar face around again, MO...
Thanks for the responses so far. I've hd a look in the CBC breakdown and what I've gone through seems to be like night following day. The one thing I forgot to mention is the intermittent failure of the passenger door, which occasionally re-openes itself when you double lock.

Anyway, what I'd really appreciate some advice on is potential replacements for the blessed thing. As I said, I've thought about a Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 (poss an estate?), a C Max 1.6 TDCi 110 or a Picasso HDi. Just not sure about durability of a Citroen.

I'll check out the Superb/Subaru (which one?)/Avensis suggestions, though I need to stick with a diesel.

Any inspired ideas???
Pathetic Passat gets the Push - dieselicious
Not sure about the durability of a Citroen. Maybe I've been lucky with the 4 I've owned. They were all paragons of reliability.

I think that this "French cars unreliable / VAG cars reliable" myth is really starting to come apart finally...........
If you are covering only 'modest' annuals mileage then it would be better to go for a petrol engine.
Aprilia, it's covering around 7-8,000 a year and I like the MPG I get (just under 50).

But is there something I'm missing in the financial equation that means a petrol replacement would still be cheaper to run??

HJ tells me that there are plenty of Picassos around but that quality is hit and miss. The Mondeo 2.0 TDCI is out as an option because of problems with the motor. The C-Max, though, holds on to its value.

So at the moment a C-Max TDCi 1.6 seems like the best option.

A Skoda Superb sounds interesting, but has a Passat relative got the same problems I've had with the original?

And if diesel isn't the best bet...I'm confused as to what's best with that scenario.
With only 7-8k a year I don't think Diesel makes a great deal of sense (unless you especially like driving a Diesel - which I certainly don't!).
Petrol car is generally cheaper to purchase and less complex (usually no turbo, DMF or mega-expensive injection system). Also in my experience they are much easier and cheaper to diagnose and repair. IMHO the argument for Diesels is all about fuel economy - after three years you will have only drive 21-24K and I would want to be covering that distance EACH YEAR before I would go for a Diesel.
Pathetic Passat gets the Push - Micky
">it's covering around 7-8,000 a year <"

!!!! I recommend a V6 Mondeo. Or even a classic.