C-Max - Low grinding noise from steering - Ravenger
My 1 year old C-Max has started making a low grinding noise when steering left or right. You only really notice it when driving slowly, as it's not that loud. It's particually noticable when reversing off my driveway, because it's a slope, and I don't use much throttle to get off.

I've searched the net, and one possibility is low steering fluid, but the reservoir is buried deep within the engine, under the passenger side headlight, so I can't easily check.

Anyone encountered this problem before? The steering seems fine otherwise. I'm going to ring up the dealer on Monday, but would like to make sure it's a real problem first.
C-Max - Low grinding noise from steering - wayne1980
I've searched the net, and one possibility is low steering fluid, but the reservoir is buried deep within the engine, under the passenger side headlight, so I can't easily check.

any way you counld manufacture a dip stick? or just check i think it may have a dipstick on the underside of the filler cap. do check the level before you take it in though otherwise you'll get stung for the dealer filling it up.
C-Max - Low grinding noise from steering - Peter D
I assume the car is under warrantee. If it is a lck of fluid where did it go. The gaiter on the rack will require to be checked to ensure the rack servo seals are not leaking. Regards Peter
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the car is under warranty. Just had its first service, in fact. I can't see any signs of fluids leaking, so if it is the fluid I don't know where it's gone. Guess it's off to the dealers to get it checked out.
According to the Dealer it was the track rods. The ends have probably split and the grease dried out.

Being fixed under warranty.
Finally got the car back, and the problem seems to be fixed. The steering actually feels lighter too.

Had a few problems with the dealer though. They originally fixed the problem under warranty, but my wife collected the car, and was assured they had test driven it make sure it was fixed.

However on the way home my wife noticed the problem was still there. It wasn't quite as bad, but it wasn't fixed. There's no way they could have test driven it properly. The problem was immediately noticable. So she took the car straight back, and the dealer agreed the problem was still there, and would look at it again.

I had a call from the dealer the next day, they'd found the problem (again), but needed to order the parts (again). I asked them what was wrong and they said some other suspension bushes had gone faulty. I asked them why they hadn't found the problem the first time, and they sounded a bit sheepish. Apparently there is a TSB for the problem, so they thought they'd fixed the problem by following the TSB. But it looks like they didn't check the car properly, as some parts not in mentioned in the TSB were also faulty.

The car originally went in on the Monday. We got the car back on Friday, so in effect they'd had the car for 5 days, which was inconvenient to say the least.
C-Max - Low grinding noise from steering - Aprilia
How many miles has this motor done? Failed TRE's and bushes at one year old sounds pretty dreadful!
Just under 11,000!

As they had a TSB for the issue (at least part of it), it'd suggest that there's definitely a manufacturing or design fault there.
C-Max - Low grinding noise from steering - grahamw
Hello Ravenger and fellow members of the forum.
I'm hoping you could help with a problem almost identical to that Ravenger has experianced with his C-max.
I have a 2005 Focus 1.6 petrol LX. It has covered 27000 and shortly after it's 25000 service, I noticed a grinding noise from the steering when turning at very low speeds such has entering and exiting my drive.
My local Ford dealer has inspected the car and informed that the top shock absorber rubber mountings need changing but the track rod ends are OK (I did mentioned the TSB regarding these)
Apparently the warranty does not cover suspension parts after 1 year but Ford will contribute 70% leaving me with a £66 bill. The parts are £24, the labour being 2.3 hours @ £85 per hour. The dealer has spoken to Ford technical and they are adament that this remedy will cure the problem. A couple of questions:
1) I'm told this play/wear will not affect handling etc, but the noise is annoying.
2) The car drives very well, even wear on the front tyres with 3-4 mm of tread left, if the work is done does anyone think the geometry will be affected, the garage say that the tracking will not be disterbed. I am not confident that this will be the case!
3) Ravenger, I seem to remember that your car had the track rod ends replaced and then other bushes, were these by any chance the top shock absorber mounts?
Many thanks for reading.