Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - BobbyG
2004 Scenic

Had my car serviced 1000 miles ago and was told needed new pads and discs on back. Got a second opinion and was told the pads definitely need done but discs had a bit of life still in them, so I just got pads done at that point.

Cars first MOT is due at end of June but I am currently thinking of trading it in, but it may well be into July before that happens. I obviously don't want to pay the cost of new discs if I am changing it a week later!

So, getting to the point, what is invoved in the MOT with regards to rear brakes?
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - Armitage Shanks {p}
My car has just had its first MOT. Not happy with the front discs/pads which are going to be changed - not because they failed, just commented on. The rear discs got an 'advisory' for rust on the inner faces. On the basis that the brakes passed the test, with regard to their efficiency and effectiveness I shall let the rears run another year.
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - Galaxy
Brake efficiency tested on a roller brake tester and a visual inspection.

Rear brake efficiencies are very low compared to front ones, so it's not hard to meet test standards even if brakes aren't 100%. Visual inspection will include thickness of pads and condition of brake disc; they aren't allowed to dismantle anything, though, so the inspection can only be what is seen with car up on lift.

Wouldn't think you would fail an MOT on state of brake discs unless they were about to disintegrate, or, of course, the efficiency wasn't met. However, you may well get an "Advisory" about them, which will then be on the car's MOT history record. However, if you intend to trade the car in as opposed to selling it privately I can't see that being a problem.

If you happen know the tester at the place that will do your MOT you could always pay them a visit beforehand and ask his advice about just this one thing about which you are concerned.
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - Aprilia
IIRC rear brake efficiency threshold is 48% (this from memory - but it'll not be far out, if at all). Handbrake is something under 20%.

Assuming it passes on efficiency then it could fail on corrosion/pitting.
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - tr7v8
To be pedantic (like everyone else here!) a handbrake is 25%, a parking brake is 16%. The first if it's single circuit brakes, the latter if dual circuit.
Rear brake efficiency is 50% according to here www.motuk.co.uk/manual_3100.htm
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - bell boy
the best way to see if your brakes are going to pass is to check them before you take it for the test,it usually takes about 2 hours all in to check clean and adjust but the pleasure knowing a pass is guaranteed makes the job worthwhile,discs and pads for common stuff these days is cheaper than a meal for 2 at a two bit hostelry these days if you fit yourself`
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - dxp55
My rear discs are £80 each I could eat for a month for that. - then there are the pads of course.
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - bell boy
My rear discs are £80 each I could eat for a month for that. -
then there are the pads of course.

as i said buy a common motor ;-)
Rear Brake Discs - MOT failure? - dxp55
What !!! and join the riff raff ;-)