Back to the auctions. - midlifecrisis
I'm off to the auctions tomorrow. Father in Law had his old (but tidy) diesel Xantia wrote off a few weeks ago. I initially questioned him about how much he wanted to pay for a replacement, " about £500" was the reply.

Rang him today and offered to take him to the auctions tomorrow. I said he should get something fairly decent for his needs for £500. "I'll go a bit higher if needs be" he says. How much higher....."I could manage about £6000".

Talk about a jump in budget. I think I'm going to have to tie his arms down. Should be an interesting day!
Back to the auctions. - local yokel
Either spend £500, or next stop £2,500. £1,000 to £2,500 is a horrible amount to spend. Too much to write off if it all goes horrible. I should think £2.5k to £3k should get him something really worth having.
Back to the auctions. - Ian D
Avoid the general sale and go for a dealer part ex car, you may get lucky.....
Back to the auctions. - Nsar
Can't wait to hear how this one pans out - I have a feeling your FIL will come away about £7k poorer tomorrow....and your tongue will have teeth marks.
As well as my suffering nerves...it's bloomin pouring down!!! Fingers crossed everybody.
Back to the auctions. - Altea Ego
Oh dear, all the cars will be wet and shiny, making them all look good.......
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Back to the auctions. - drbe
MidLife, which auction are you going to?
Back to the auctions. - LHM
Hopefully, the rain may keep a lot of Joe Public away. Getting into a bidding war with a non-trader can be a bad thing!
Back to the auctions. - expat
Auctions are fun. You can get some good bargains but you can also get badly burnt. If you are buying something reasonably new ex fleet with full service records and some of the new car warranty left you can get a good deal. I would be very wary otherwise on older vehicles. If you buy private you can get quite a good deal and it lets you get it mechanically examined by an expert, have a test drive etc. You don't get that at an auction. A lot of cars being auctioned are rubbish that wouldn't sell if the purchaser had a mechanics report on it before he bid.
Well, just back..wet and cold. Initial car that caught his eye was a Primera 1.8 sport , 2000 on a Xreg. That went for £1200, but he'd already decided he wanted something newer as it went through the ring. The car is primarily for the mother in law, so the next car that caught his attention was a Peugeot 206 SW. 54 plate, 10000m. It had a tiptronic box and I wasn't too keen. It was very tidy though and he kept going back to it. I said if it went well below forecourt price it may be worth it, but it started at £5600 and went on to over six grand. Just didn't know enough about the gearbox to be comfortable.

We've come home with an 02 reg Astra 1600. 1 owner, 42000m and full Vx service history from new by supplying dealer. Very clean and tidy for £3100. FiL is very pleased, which is what counts as it was his money. It wasn't the cheapest Astra to go through, but it was definitely the cleanest. Drives very well and gives every impression of being looked after. It's not a massive saving over forecourt prices (around £500-1000 searching Autroader) but enough to justify the visit.

Two cars that caught my eye an 05 reg Vectra 1.9 diesel SRi (120) 19000m for £5250.... keyed down one side but never the less, a bargain. Facelift Apr 06 reg Mondeo 2.0 LX, 19000m, £6250 provisional. I don't think that it would've taken a lot more to get it. I tried to persaude him, but he wasn't keen.