Imaginative plea in mitigation required... - UKC32
A few days ago, someone (anonymity preserved) posted the following in one of the speed camera threads -

'My last motoring offence was described as 'using an unauthorised class of vehicle on a motorway'. Due to a combination of circumstances, none of them my fault, I was nabbed for riding a push bike on a motorway. Can't remember if I got an endorsment or not, but I was fined 7 quid. Haven't used my bike on the M27 since.'

I asked how, but got no reply. Sounded pretty comical to me, but seems it was posted in all seriousness, critical of those who exceed the limit from time to time.

I haven't been able to figure it out - how circumstances can conspire against someone so that they end up riding a pushbike on a motorway without it being their fault, other than getting hooked onto a wing mirror. Or perhaps car broke down, bike on roof, going for help? Or Alien abduction, returned onto M27?

Can any would-be lawyer help with a short but suitable plea in mitigation?
Re: Imaginative plea in mitigation required... - Flat in Fifth
I think we will have to accept a short plea in mitigation from yourself sunbeam ;-)

How about, doh for starters says he in jest.

see www.honestjohn.co.uk/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=53014&t...2
I plead guilty - UKC32
Sorry. 'Doh'.

I didn't see it.
And I was looking, I really was. I wanted to know how...

BUT I was distracted by a wasp that flew in through the window.
Then I sneezed...
And I needed to go to the toilet, so it was a medical emergency.
And I thought I was being followed and was trying to get away.
And my girlfriend's pregnant, and I've got a job to go to on Monday.
I do voluntary work for the less fortunate, and once saved a drowning dog.
And its the first time I've been caught, sorry, I mean its my first time in court.

So please FiF, can I go home?
Re: I plead guilty - Flat in Fifth
UKC32

If thats the only mistake you have made I guess you are long long way ahead of me then ;-)

Cheers
signed Mr Not Perfect Either by a long way.
Re: I plead guilty - Brian
Do what I do.
Plead "Guilty but Insane".
Re: I plead guilty - pugugly
Some of the real world ones you would not believe (trust me). Discretion does not allow me to quote the more bizzare ones...I would get struck off. Some people think that if they pay you money that you can peddle any old story to the Beak.
Re: I plead guilty - steve paterson
UKC32,
I'll elaborate a bit on my previous explanation. It was the M271, a short stretch of motorway running from the M27 into Southampton. When I began using it as a shortcut, only the hard shoulder was usable. As work progressed I was able to use all lanes. The blokes building it got to know me and one or two did warn me that it would "opening soon". Line painting finished, not much activity apart from a few works vans cruising up and down, I decided that 'today' was my last day on the shortcut. That was the day it opened.
Funny enough I bought a second hand computer about 10yrs ago complete with a few floppies. On one of them was a letter of defence to the local beak.
M27 again, he claimed that he'd recently bought a new roof rack, fitted it, and tied a pram to it. Apparently while driving along, the rack, complete with pram fell off. The reason the police had seen him dragging a pram along the hard shoulder was because he thought it would be safer to try and refit it than leave it on the motorway.
steve
Re: I plead guilty - UKC32
Steve,
I used to cycle along the M56 when it was being built, so I can sympathise. It wasn't hard to tell when it was open, though...
I recall packing a suitcase on the hard shoulder of the M6 once.
It came at me off the top of a car, burst open and scattered clothes everywhere. I was much nicer in those days, stopped, picked up the case and a few clothes and started packing.
Red-faced man & family reversed up the hard shoulder and took over...
Re: I plead guilty - ian (cape town)
Pugugly,
I was in court a while back, giving evidence against the git I had caught removing goods from my car via a smashed window.
(motoring link!).
Whilst there, I had the pleasure of listening in on a few cases, which was incredibly entertaining.
How do you learned gentlemen keep a straight face when some of these Pinnochio's start their schpiel?
My favourite: Woman up on a fraud charge, for wrongly cashing company cheques and nicking the money, apparently.
Bail was set at R2000.
Accused says she cannot afford R2000.
Magistrate: "How much can you afford?"
Accused, consults hubby: "R800"
Magistrate explains that for the offence, bail cannot be as low as R800.
Accused consults husband again: "I can pay R1000".
Magistrate: "Madam, this is not an auction." Bangs gavel.
Accused led back to cells...
Re: Imaginative plea in mitigation required... - Matt
A mate of mine was stopped by a mounted policeman on the A12 for doing 81mph.
When cautioned 'Anything you say may be taken down etc' he asked 'How much do you want for that horse?'
Regards,
Matt.
Re: Imaginative plea in mitigation required... - J Bonington Jagworth
I hope the horse's speedometer was properly calibrated...