Sat Nav for a bike. - Pugugly {P}
Well after a couple of months of it being sititng in a box, I finally got round to sorting out a Garmin 2610 I'd bought from another chatroom second hand. The kit was always intended for the bike and nothing else, it came with a load of bits and looked very new, it was loaded with V8 of their software and the unlock codes to access V9. Part of the kit was a very sturdy RAM mounting kit. A missing bolt stopped me fitting it initially and then I had to wait for the bike to go for a Service for those very nice men at BMW to hardwire it into the bike's loom. Anyway job done yesterday and after fruitless hunt in two local hardware shops for a bolt (an AF thread would you credit it !) I found the original on the floor of the garage as I was about to unleash a hacksaw on the metric replacement that cost me all of 45p for three.....

.*********

Garmin are a very big name in portable sat-nav and I think that's where there downfall is.....

Anyway the 2610 is considered the cat's whiskers of Sat Nav for bikes, it is compact, waterproof(ish) and easy to use with gloves and they are very sought after by bikers. TomTom was designed from a basic idea rather than evolved from previous incarnations as I suspect the Garmin is, consequently the Garmin isn't as user friendly as the TT in many respects including the on-screen menu, it has no internal power source so has to be used either in situ or plugged into the mains at least a TT can be used as a handheld if you need to. To me the 2610's menus are too complicated for use whilst on the move but route planning seems pretty simple and I like the feature of pre-programmed way points (to find fuel especially). The display on the TT is also far superior but the Garmin does work. I tried it out in the car last night and the sound seems more tinny than the TT's mellow warble. One big advantage of the Garmin is that you can set it in dashboard mode, i.e., you get MPH (or KMH which is useful in itself) in a nice big fat display along with compass, mileage and speed data now that is truly useful and miles (sorry) better than the TT's feeble MPH display and finally for my bike gives a true Head up capability to enabling me to watch speed as well as other road users. I've had a banging bit of kit for under 200 pounds, and they keep their value as well despite being discontinued they still have a ready market amongst bikers.
oh for an edit button. Why did I type there instead of their....?
Sat Nav for a bike. - martint123
I now have a MIO168 with TT3 software on it and just plan routes into its itinerary option (later versions are useless for this). Routes can also be planned with other software like autoroute on a home PC and imported.
I just shove the thing into my shirt pocket with the supplied earbuds in the ears. I've found that the spoken instructions are enough in most cases to get around and there is no need for the screen.
With the settings you can do with tt3 (not in later versions) for road speeds, it is easy to avoid routes on main roads and travel great distance with seeing little traffic. With the IR transceiver, it is a matter of moments to swap routes with other users
The above for pleasure riding, things could be much different if you need it for business or such.

Sat Nav for a bike. - Westpig
PU,

I've had a power feed fitted to my Blackbird, which allows me to charge my Tomtom on the go (as the battery doesn't last much more than 3 hours), whilst it sits in the top of the tank bag, in the map bit under the plastic cover. The only problem is that the satnav screen is too close for me to glance at it safely, when placed there....which means i'd have to cough up for a proper bike system.... or fit the satnav nearer the speedo on a bracket.

Do you use the screen of the satnav much when you're riding the bike or do you mostly listen to the instructions through a headset......(my TT hasn't got the facility for headphones apparently).

I don't want to spend any more of my hard earned dosh than i have to and then still find it unsuitable.

Cheers
"instructions through a headset...."

Haven't got there yet, but the cable has got an audio connection, so I need to wire that either direct to helmet speakers or via Bluetooth feed to the helmet (e.g. Autocom)., I found that yesterday's test route and the "Head Up" position of the display reduces the need for it. It is "phase 2" planning
I can upload a photo of the set up for you to see...
[IMG]i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/Pugugly_photo/DSC...p
g[/IMG]

In theory it should be here, WP promise not to wag a virtual finger at my Max Speed, I'm not proud (ok yes I am)

It's in Dashboard mode here.

i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/Pugugly_photo/DSC...g

Try again then.
tried it twice and it said "page not found".........is it me doing something wrong?
i'm too much of a technophobe do deal myself....i use a mate to help, i'll discuss with him. The photo might be useful though.

Cheers.
Got the photo...........thanks. That is exactly where you need it isn't it, so you don't take your eye too much off the road.