Tyre Views - Dominic Grimes
Has anyone any opinions on what are the best tyres on the market giving a decent tradeoff between price and performance. I do around 50k a year in a Merc 200 CDI. I've always fitted Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres - They seem good but are bloody expensive, best price I've got is £118ea from costco.

Dominic
Re: Tyre Views - Pat
Dominic,

Common thread on this forum and I'm sure you'll get some expert opininons on tyre types/brands etc.

I must confess that I don't notice much difference between tyres! I normally buy a mid-price name, such as Dunlop, Pirelli, Goodyear or Firestone and I'd have difficulty distinguishing between them. I go for the deal, and if a particular brand is being discounted then that's what I have. I've never had budget brands nor have I had Continental or Michellin, so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing at the extremes of the market.

I need some tyres for my Audi soon, so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Regards,

Pat
Re: Tyre Views - Dominic Grimes
Pat,

Thanks for the info. The biggest differnce I notice is with tyre noise, esp on motorways. I find Michelins and Pirelli P6000 much quieter than others. I think Dunlops are particulary noisy

dominic
Re: Tyre Views - Pat
Thanks Dominic,

The tyres on the Audi are indeed Dunlops -original equipment, so I can't really compare on this vehicle. I'll give the Pirellis or Michellins a try (if I can get a good deal!).

Pat
Re: Tyre Views - Trevor Potter
Checkout www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp

OR Auto Express tyre test

OR Which? recent tyre tests.

AND www.protyre.co.uk/

for where to buy them
Re: Tyre Views - Mike H
.....but note that the oft-quoted tyres-online.co.uk reprints are a couple of years out of date, so of limited use.
Re: Tyre Views - Steve Boreham
Think yourself lucky you don't run a motorbike: Mine might 'only' be a 600cc machine, but with 100BHP on tap, and a very soft 180/55x17 rear tyre, it's bye bye £150 every 4000 miles. I'm not, and never want to be, the world's fastest rider, but a friend of mine - who probably would like to be! - with a 1000cc machine, replaces his every 2500 miles!

Getting back on the true thread, I'll watch with interest too, as I'm not overly impressed with the Avon 215/45x17 my car currently has: They might suit the leasing company by lasting 16,000 miles on the front, and also be aided by a suitable discount, but the original fit superglue Yokohamas were far superior in every respect except wear, lasting 13,000 miles. I hear that the leasing company will also allow Continentals to be fitted, however, hence the interest in this thread, with new tyres but days away.

/Steve
Re: Tyre Views - Derek
Steve - where am I going wrong? I bought my bike - similar capacity and power to yours - with 3000 miles on it. The tyres were Michelin Sport and I replaced the rear at 7000 miles, same make and type of tyre. That has now done 6000 miles and still has 3mm left on its (only slightly flat-spotted) centre. Just as well, 'cos they're damned expensive. I'm intending to try Bridgestone BT010's next time.

Back to the thread. I'm pleased with the Pirelli 6000's on my 406. The fronts were replaced at 36,000 and grip is very good.

I've previously had Conti's and Michelins. The Conti's gripped well but wore fairly quickly (but that was on a Mondeo, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised). Replaced by Michelins, which were harder wearing but I felt were not so grippy in the wet. Never let me down, though, so that was definitely 'feel' not experience.
Re: Tyre Views - Simon R
I also have Michelin Pilot Premacy, and have been very impressed with the overall package. They even look good with their asymmetric tread.

Haven't used them but by reputation (see earlier threads) the cheapest prices can be found at:

Micheldever Tyres
Micheldever Station, Micheldever, Winchester
01962 774437

not much good if your in Scotland though.

Let us know how you get on.

Simon
Re: Tyre Views - Roger Jones
HJ continues to recommend Micheldever with good reason. My experience with them bears out his views. They are 100 miles from me, but on two occasions have quoted £40+ per tyre cheaper than local sources, so when I need new tyres I plan business or leisure trips to make a stop there (early morning weekday is best to avoid lengthy queues). They are without doubt a professional outfit, with state-of-the-art laser alignment bays to boot. If you are a long way from them, you can buy mail order and get a local independent fitter to put them on.

www.micheldever.co.uk

I use Michelin tyres and have never found them wanting. They now have a reduced-noise variety, which is welcome when the principal noise source of the vehicle is from tyres on rotten road surfaces. Roll on more quiet road surfaces -- one of the few manifestations of progress of late. Bet the SW quadrant of the M25 is the last to be changed.
Re: Tyre Views - Steve Boreham
Hi Derek,

I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on my bike, too.
If I wore them absolutely to the legal limit, which I don't because apart from rain drainage, they're squared off by then, I reckon I'd get just over 5,000 miles, but 4,000 is a realistic limit. In comparison, the front lasted 7,200 miles.

Almost all of my riding is two up - yes, I'm lucky to have a wife who enjoys the pastime, too - so that probably accounts for a fair bit of extra wear, as well.

Thanks for the subjective opinion on the Continentals for the car.
That, and other feedback, makes me think I'll try them as the lesser of two evils next time.

Cheers,
Steve
Re: Tyre Views - Brian
I changed the front tyre on my bike a few months ago at about 42,000 miles. That was OE and was only because it was starting to split with age!
In contrast the back lasts 10,000 or less.
However it's smaller (250 cc) than your two so obviously much lighter on tyres, although at 400 miles a week tyre and chain changes come round quite quickly. Fuel consumption is 20 miles per litre on 2/3 open road, 1/3 London.

On the car (Pug 405 TD) I was disappointed by the mileage on Bridgestones and have gone back to Pirelli P 4000's on the front, which lasted well on the 309. The backs are Michelin.