Why do they bother? - Hairy Elbow
Having advertised my car on autotrader I included my email address to be helpful. Within a few hours I received an email asking for some more details. Having answered I got this reply.

Hello
Am so excited you could find to e-mail me back concerning the car you listed for sale and i will love to purchase the car from you .
Main look at the pic at the site it's very lovely car and the condition you stated for me, someone may conclude the car is very good.
Really this kind of car have been looking for some days now.
Am trying to purchase the Car for myself used .
I will be glad if you can sell the Car to me.
I believe by now Car is SOLD to me .
Now i want you to remove the advert so that other buyer will not bother you over this Car .
Really i want you to please send pics of the Car if available .
Also concerning you asking price am okay with it ( £5,250) for the Car.
Please as for the shipment i will handle that myself i shall contact my private shipping company to handle the shipment from you location to mine.
Likewise,the payment will come inform of (UK BANKDRAFT) which i
believe is okay.
Me paying you with UK bank draft am not requiring any bank details of yours from you cause is not good to give out bank details on internet.
The payment uk (bankdraft) will take 2 to3 working days for the payment to FULLY CLEARED and CONFIRM the money is your bank account, pls get back to me today so that we could conclude on the payment.
I reside in Canada and i will be glad if i can purchase the Car from you ..Please remember that i have committed myself to purchase the Car for self used .
Thanks awaiting your e-mail today..
Regards

What a nutter. I know this is a scam and will end up in me wiring several thousand pounds to pay for some sort of shipping costs and a rubber cheque, but do people seriously fall for this?

Why do they bother? - Screwloose
HE

They do when the bank draft completely checks out as genuine and then clears normally.

It's only when they get the letter, six weeks later, from the bank to say that there were two identical drafts and "yours was the forged one and thus your account is now overdrawn by ££££" that it all becomes obvious.....

Happened to a friend of mine - the ex-owner of a £12K Range Rover.

If the [Nigerian?] scammer sends out 300 e-mails a day and 1% fall for it - beats working for a living!
Why do they bother? - paulb {P}
cheque but do people seriously fall for this?

Ohhhh yes. Slightly different scenario, but a few years ago, I spent several months dealing in a professional capacity with the fallout from a guy who believed someone that told him that his sole-trader business (with sub-£100k turnover) was worth $2m, and was then induced by this person to beg, borrow and obtain by deception several hundred thousand pounds to cover "marginal rate fluctuations" and various completely fictitious tax liabilities.

As you'll have guessed, this money had to be wired to correspondent accounts in banks in various exotic locations, and promptly disappeared like cigarette ash in a tornado once it had been transferred.

Needless to say, he's still waiting for his $2m, and one of his (now former) friends whom he induced to lend him about £90k got so cross about being lied to that he went to the police, and the guy ended up being done for it. Can't recall whether he spent any time in one of HM holiday camps for it, but it would have been a close call.

As per the old saying, there's one born every minute.
Why do they bother? - Xileno {P}
So if a Banker's draft can be forged, what's the best way of getting paid if you don't want cash lying around the house?
Why do they bother? - paulb {P}
So if a Banker's draft can be forged what's the best way of getting paid
if you don't want cash lying around the house?

>>

BACS or telegraphic transfer, I guess.
Why do they bother? - Altea Ego
So if a Banker's draft can be forged what's the best way of getting paid
if you don't want cash lying around the house?

There is ONLY cash when it comes to selling cars. Nicoles clio went for cash only.

It went like this.

Me - you bring cash at 10:00 xx weekday.
Seller goes bank at 09:30 gets cash, brings cash on specified time and date, counted, verified (uv note checker) v5 completed, car driven away, cash in bank at 10:30

easy really cash only has a risk period of 1/2 hour for buyer and seller.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Xileno

This works for me.

Both parties go to a bank [by prior arrangement for large sums] and one hands the cashier a cash withdrawal slip and he/she counts the money out - behind the glass.

The other party then hands over a paying-in slip filled in for the agreed amount of cash. The cash never leaves the bank's hands, so questions of genuine/fake notes don't arise.

I can't see a flaw in that; but I'd be interested to know if there is one....
Why do they bother? - Xileno {P}
Wouldn't the buyer and seller have to belong to the same Bank?
Xileno

The question of paying-in charges hasn't ever arisen. Many banks appear to have reciprocal arrangements - so far...

Maybe charges were indeed raised on their future statements - certainly not on mine; but it's usually been my local bank...
Why do they bother? - leef
Wouldn't the buyer and seller have to belong to the same Bank?

No, BACS and CHAPS transfer take care of this. The latter costing between £10-£20 depending on the bank, it's an instant transfer of money to another UK bank account (other than your own bank). Used it a few times for large transactions, worth the tenner if your spending a few grand on a car.

Lee
As per the old saying, there's one born every minute.

And you can't cheat an honest man!
Have told matie to get lost. Why anyone would want to import a Primera to Canada is beyond me. I've been to Montreal and the roads would completly destroy it. Something to do with minus stupid tempratues and salt = big holes.
Why do they bother? - Altea Ego
I think you will find he meant the El Banco C&A, jungle province, Nigeria.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Why do they bother? - deepwith
www.419legal.org/how explains a lot!
Why do they bother? - spencertheartist
screwloose - the method you describe is flawless. Say you are selling a car for £30k and you take cash. You are sat in your lounge and the car is gone. You look at your pile of notes and think, "nice."

Then the friends of the buyer come round for a chat.

NOT nice.
Why do they bother? - s61sw
For anyone reading this thread who is unsure, HJ gives sound advice on taking payment for a privately sold car in the 'How to Buy and Sell Cars' tab on the left:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/selling/BuySell_Sell...m

(mods - is this O.K. to post as a link using this method?) {It's fine. DD}

S6 1SW
Why do they bother? - midlifecrisis
A large amount of Bank of England paper has been stolen over time. (BofE paper has the starch removed). However, even 'normal' paper can be treated and the UV lamp isn't always a reliable method.
Why do they bother? - bathtub tom
The last car I sold had the deal completed at the local Post Office. They handed the cash over the counter, PO staff counted it into my account, I handed over V5, keys and service receipts etc.
At first they seemed reluctant, until I pointed out I wasn't going to have that much cash slopping around half a mile from a PO, with no car to transfer it, and they could tell their mates! Also, cash verification becomes an SEP (Someone Else's Problem).
I can't remember where I heard of this solution, it may well have been here.
Why do they bother? - Micky
It's probably one of those foreign types.