Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - karlbbb
Hi all.

I have a problem with a Mk4 ('96, 1.25l 16v Zetec engine) Fiesta. The front passenger tyre is wearing quite badly just on the inside of the tyre. I've twice bumped into a kerb with the tyre (one pretty hideously, and one in the snow; both times destroying the actual wheel). After the first time I had it tracked, and after the second time I took it in again after I noticed the tyre wear. Thee guy at the garage said the tracking was bob on.

It's about, say, 1" worth of the tyre around the inside that wears down to bald.

There is also a constant wobble present on the wheel, especially when you turn to the left or right ever so slightly, as pressure is applied to the steering system. The steering wheel used to shake quite badly on the motorway, but the wheels needed balancing.

I've since swapped the front and back wheels, and the motorway steering shake has disappeared (both of the wheels are balanced), but this new wobble is there.

With the tracking bob on, and both wheels balanced, is it likely that I've bent something?

Cheers.
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - RichardW
"I've twice bumped into a kerb with the tyre (one pretty hideously, and one in the snow; both times destroying the actual wheel)"

and

"is it likely that I've bent something"

Very, I would have said. Time to get it down the body shop and get the whole chassis alignment checked properly. Having said that, I'm sure it's these cars that eat the bushes in the front suspension.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
The suspension has started clunking recently, possibly front and back, and one of the visible bushes looks pretty worn (it's all torn and perishing).

Could a bush cause wear like this on just one tyre?
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - Saltrampen
Front lower suspension arm bushes and Anti roll bar bushes go on these models much sooner than other cars.
My 97 Mark IV Fiesta 1.25 had them replaced at 7 years old or 55k.
I guess it could wear one tyre if it has gone on one side, but maybe a tyre expert could confirm this.
- I blame speed humps...
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - Simon
Its most likely to be a worn/bent suspension component causing the problem. How many miles does it take to eat through a tyre?
I'll say about 2,000 miles to completely bald the inner shoulder of the tyre. Possibly less.
Something is definitely bent. There is more to wheel alignment that just the tracking you know. Maybe you need a garge to check the camber angle of the wheel on that side.
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - mss1tw
Did the same in my old Fiesta. Had new lower arms too but something was always amiss afterwards.
Are all of the replacement bottom arms the same length? I've got a feeling that some Fiesta bottom arms are slightly longer than others - such as the Fiesta Turbo ones. There is a very slim chance that someone could have fitted the wrong part.
This wasn't a problem before I had my moments of stupidity, and nothing has been replaced, therefore I doubt it.

I will have to see about gettin into a garage for a full aligment check (I went in only for tracking).
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - bell boy
bottom arm may well be bent or more likely a steering arm
take it to a mechanic whom you trust and ask him to check these two items,also get him to confirm the rack hasnt literally been ripped from its moorings at one side allowing it to adjust the geometry on one side more than the other
by the way ,could be dangerous---------do it soon :-) please
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - mss1tw
get him to confirm the rack hasnt literally been ripped from its moorings at one side

:-o

Oof
Something is definitely bent on that side of the car then. Most likely a suspension component.
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - madf
Odds on are:
You have bent the lower suspension arm
and the rack

and the anti roll bar bushes are shot...

I reckon little change from
Suspension arm £45
Rack £100 (approx)
Bushes £20

Plus labour , realingnment etc

Total £250-£300

Based on prior experience :-(
madf
I imagined it may be something as costly as this.....I'm considering a new car anyway, may just part/ex this Fiesta.

I have a trip to the Lake District on Wednesday, I'm hopin I will be ok. I'll be taking it easy on the motorway, I imagine it will be ok. I also have a trip to Manchester thursday morning for a job interview, so after that, the car will be my main priority.

I will go to a couple of garages and see if I can get a couple of decent quotes.
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - milkyjoe
if its any conselation i picked up a new lower suspension arm for a mk 3 fiesta on ebay for £8.00
if its any conselation i picked up a new lower suspension arm for a mk
3 fiesta on ebay for £8.00

be aware that different years have different arms milky
you can usually tell if the balljoint is held in with 2 rivets or 3 rivets but this isnt foolproof,the best way is to slide a 15mm (or was it 17mm) open spanner over your old balljoint and the new one if it goes over both and tightly then proceed,if its very slack or doesnt fit then you have the wrong arm
combo vans/xr2I /pre 95 after 95 /power steering/non power steering/all have to be taken into account
make sure a new bolt and nut is fitted as well :-#)
as regards your comments to drive the length of britain karibb on what sounds to be a dangerous component then why bother asking for good advice off everybody then dissing it till it suits your needs

not impressed at all
Mk4 Fiesta Tyre Wear.... - Granada Cosworth
Karlbbb - Take your car to a nearest Rapid-Fit or Quicks Ford, (not the Ford Main Dealer) and ask them to have a look and see what they says, they don't over charge on Labour cost or parts.
HTH.