Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - movilogo
In general, for same spec cars, between manual & automatic which is cheaper to maintain?

I've never owned automatic cars so far. 2 cars I owned in the past had to undergo clutch replacement around 70k miles (cost around £175-ish each time).

This time I'm looking for an automatic (mostly for my wife who recently started learning to drive and after several lessons still having fights with gearstick & clutch).

Other than slightly lower fuel economy, is there anything about automatics I should be aware of?

I'm yet to decide which car to buy though.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Lud
Other than slightly lower fuel economy is there anything about automatics I should be aware
of?

Poorer performance. Tiresome hunting up and down gearbox on some steep twisting routes, or use of intermediate holds. More or less total absence of engine braking unless intermediate holds are used.

All of this refers to old-fashioned slushpump 3 and 4 speeders. I know nothing of these modern arrangements which some say are vastly improved in every way.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - moonshine

>>Poorer performance

The Audi multitronic CVT thingy I understand to be the only auto where the 0-60 performance exceeds that of the manual version.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Vin {P}
Lud: "Poorer performance. Tiresome hunting up and down gearbox on some steep twisting routes, or use of intermediate holds. More or less total absence of engine braking unless intermediate holds are used.

All of this refers to old-fashioned slushpump 3 and 4 speeders. I know nothing of these modern arrangements which some say are vastly improved in every way."

Indeed they are: So much so that I'd never go back. I never suffer (and in the past six years with an Omega 4 speeder, possibly a "slushpump", have never suffered) any of those problems.

V

They still have clutches which I understand do wear although I have no idea how long they last. I have an auto which at 65K miles still works fine.

The trans fluid will need changing more frequently than manual box oil (especially if driven hard), although this shouldn't be expensive (I do mine myself, no different to an oil change).

The above applies to a traditional 'slush box' - I'm not sure about some of the modern types such as the Audi multitronic cvt thingy....

Aprillia will probably give a good answer.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - retgwte
depends what kind of auto you go for

and whether you are buying new and only keeping it while its under makers warranty

CVT autos, avoid at all costs, they break unpredictably and big time, the bands inside snap and crack the gearbox case, leaving you stranded with no notice and a big bill
CVT = continuously variable transmission, ie bands of metal on cones, dont ever buy one of these, unless maybe you get it cheap enough and get rid before makers warranty runs out

then the choice is between traditional auto or an MMT style thing

MMT is really a manual gearbox with some clever electronics changing the gear and dipping the clutch for you, bit more of a gamble at large mileage, as there is more complex stuff to go wrong

Traditional Auto, good old fashioned gears and tried and tested technology, never goes wrong if supplied by the Japanese, goes wrong all the time if supplied by the French, and all other makers in between

So if you want an ultra reliable auto you want a jap built, or at least jap maker or technology, with trad box

Be aware they can squeeze more mph and better emissions out of MMT and CVT than trad autos, cos the box is lighter, and changes can be tweaked more electronically etc, however this is a trade off with reliability

Perodua MYVI 1.3 EZi 4-speed automatic is a good small auto
Last of toyota corollas non MMT autos are good

what size/age of car you looking for?

meant mpg not mph
oh and answer to "cheaper to maintain" is basically for a trad auto in a jap designed car they are v reliable, you need to change the transmission fluid regularly, but the new gearbox oil/fluid being replaced more frequently than the manual is the only cost difference, other than mpg differences

Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Aprilia
Can't add much to what has been said. Conventional Japanese auto's tend to last as long as the engine provided they get the occasional service (bascially change the ATF) and you don't use them for heavy duty towing. GM auto's tend to be very good too (they are mostly designed and manufactured in partnership with Aisin-Warner - Toyota Motor Corp's 'spun off' auto transmission division).
CVT's are still a very long way from being perfected. DSG transmissions are too new to make any conclusive statement, but they are very complex and IF they go wrong the bill will be eye-watering!
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - GregSwain
Conventional Japanese auto's tend to last as long as the engine

Agree that Japanese autos are accepted as the best, and are used on non-Jap cars such as Vauxhalls, BUT what are ZF gearboxes like for longevity? Peugeots use these boxes, as do BMW - would I be right in asserting that these are just as good as Jatco/Aisin Warner?
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - oldgit
Can anyone throw any light on VAG's DSG gearboxes then. Are their 6 speed 'auto' boxes, (soon to become 7 speed, it seems) without the conventional 'slushbox' in the transmission train, less smooth than those boxes in say the latest Mercs and BMWs?
Do these VAG boxes have any problems with hill starts etc, not having 'hill brake assist' or the facility to creep when in drive? I also wonder, in those cars fitted with DSG boxes, whether the driver will be continually aware of gear shifting (no matter how fast this may be) due to the fact that the engines which accompany them, are noisier and less sophisticated than, say, the larger Merc and BMW-engined cars?
A DSG is actually an 'automated manual gearbox'. In fact the best way to think of it is as TWO gearboxes - one running the 'odd' numbered gears and the other the 'even' numbered gears - each with its own clutch. When the system wants to change gear the drive is simply switched between clutches (the appropriate gear has already been 'predictively' engaged). The advantage is no power loss and very fast changes - much faster than a conventional auto, or a manual.
The disadvantage is that these are very heavy and complex beasts. The two clutches are 'wet' clutches and are configured concentrically - I shudder to think what the task of replacing them would be like and there are masses of parts to go wrong.
The whole control system is very complex and relies on things happening with millisecond-precision, which is easy for the electronics but hard for the mechanical bits. The other snag I noticed when driving one is that they are not great in 'fast moving queues' - i.e. when you are travelling at around 30mph in a line of traffic and continually easing on and off the throttle - this seems the confuse the predictive gearshifting and lead to noticable delays in selecting the correct gear. I imagine this sort of thing could be engineered out via software though.
Overall, its a totally different experience to a big torque-convertor auto. You'd have to try it to know whether you'd like it. In principle they look good, but I wouldn't want one at 5+ years of age....
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Micky
">or a manual.<"

DSG is quick, but is it measurably quicker than a manual sequential box on the upshift?
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - daveyjp
Can anyone throw any light on VAG's DSG gearboxes then. Are their 6 speed 'auto'
boxes (soon to become 7 speed it seems) without the conventional 'slushbox' in the transmission
train less smooth than those boxes in say the latest Mercs and BMWs?
Do these VAG boxes have any problems with hill starts etc not having 'hill brake
assist' or the facility to creep when in drive? I also wonder in those cars
fitted with DSG boxes whether the driver will be continually aware of gear shifting (no
matter how fast this may be) due to the fact that the engines which accompany
them are noisier and less sophisticated than say the larger Merc and BMW-engined cars?

DSG boxes need clutch oil changing every 40,000 (although I've read this may now be 60,000). Once you get used to driving them they are just as smooth as traditional autoboxes, but you do notice the changes in engine noise as you would in a manual. Gear changes can be controlled very well using the throttle.

Hill starts are really easy, the car will creep when in first gear and will hold on hills (although not advised as its similar to riding a manual clutch and will cause damage). For hill starts you simply apply gas and release the handbrake, the same way you would in a manual.

I never had a problem in flowing traffic with it being hesitant in changing.

But as Aprilia says I'd be nervous about DSG outside of warranty, although I am aware of one owner doing well over 100,000 miles with a DSG box Audi and no problems to date.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - runboy
Can anyone throw any light on VAG's DSG gearboxes then. Are their 6 speed 'auto'
boxes (soon to become 7 speed it seems) without the conventional 'slushbox' in the transmission
train less smooth than those boxes in say the latest Mercs and BMWs?
Do these VAG boxes have any problems with hill starts etc not having 'hill brake
assist' or the facility to creep when in drive? I also wonder in those cars
fitted with DSG boxes whether the driver will be continually aware of gear shifting (no
matter how fast this may be) due to the fact that the engines which accompany
them are noisier and less sophisticated than say the larger Merc and BMW-engined cars?

My Skoda DSG has a hill hold facility - remove foot from brake and it stays on for a second or so, plenty of time to drag your leg over to the gas pedal. When you brake, DSG will dis-engage, when you come off the brake it re-engages and with no gas will creep like an auto, albeit it takes a second longer for the creep to engage, wheras a normal auto will always want to move forward, with a little brake even.

Mated to the 2.0TDI, it goes well, keeping the revs in the power range. Good for us lazy drivers anyway.
"The Audi multitronic CVT thingy I understand to be the only auto where the 0-60 performance exceeds that of the manual version."

I would have to disagree with this - not that the figures are not true, just that you'll get better acceleration from an auto than you will from a manual where you own the vehicle

Nothing in the world is going to make you rev to 4000 revs, drop your foot sideways off the clutch, then hammer the gear lever from first to second without using the clutch and ditto to third.

Whereas, with an auto, just put your foot to the floor and you'll match the tester's time. I bet for most cars it'll be faster than you'd manage in the manual.

V

Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - wazza
Since with automatic the car has no or less engine braking you tend to use the brakes more often. This means you are likely to replace the front pads and/or discs more often than a manual car. Then again with forward thinking while driving this may not apply.

Those who have driven auto and manual cars over a long period do you find the above correct?

I've not noticed any difference in pad wear - but then I'm not heavy on the brakes much as I read the road ahead. Pads and disks are cheap anyway so I wouldn't be concerned.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - kievclive
I have found that the brake pads wear out far quicker, particularly in heavy city driving with automatics - without holding the box in gear the point at which it changes up will frequently dictate additional braking, not the case in manuals.

Ovarall, could be down to age, I find driving an automatic with a decent sized engine far more relaxing in all but the most extreme (severe winter) conditions.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - John F
wazza, my wife had a Passat GL2.0 4speed auto for >240,000m - didn't notice any increased brake wear - changed discs only once at 110k ish, pads lasted 50k or so - but I never liked the box much. My old Audi 100 2.0E 3 speeder was much quicker off the mark for overtaking.

No-one seems to have made the point that the engine surely gets an easier life - no under or over revving, [by 'under' I mean trying to accelerate in a too high gear]. No sudden jerking must make bearings, belts and chains last a bit longer.

Also, I'm not in the trade but I think it helps to suss out a good reliable auto that has been around for a bit. I've heard French autos can be a bit iffy and I gather Audi seems to be having more trouble with its newer multitronic than the older tiptronic. Personally I've heard of no probs with the A6 2.8- the powertrain started life in the A8 over 10yrs ago and can now be found in Skodas, so it must be pretty reliable - I hope!

Having been rude about the French [whose engineering I actually greatly respect...bridges, trains etc] - my son has just traded up to a 1988 Pug405 auto......anyone know anything about these?

Wow! - is that really how they get the 0-60 times? Seems like a bit of con then really if you would never get the same times with normal driving.

For most cars the figures normally show the auto version to be a fraction slower, so really it's the other way round and the auto's are faster (for normal driving)? What happens if you rev the auto and drop into D (see an earlier discussion)?
"What happens if you rev the auto and drop into D"

I don't - it's my car and I pay the repair bills.

V
Thanks for your valued information regarding DSG gearboxes. I may invest in one if and when VW decide to fit their new 7 speed one in, say, their Golf 'Match' allied with the 1.4TSI 140PS engine, should they deign to fit that as well!
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - daveyjp
Thanks for your valued information regarding DSG gearboxes. I may invest in one if and
when VW decide to fit their new 7 speed one in say their Golf 'Match'
allied with the 1.4TSI 140PS engine should they deign to fit that as well!

I can't see the point in 7 speeds - 6 is more than enough - 33 mph per thousand revs in 6th in the VAG 2.0TDi and first is only used to get the car rolling. The Veyron has a 7 speed DSG box, but 7th isn't available until something like 150mph!

The Audi CVT has 7 selectable ratios.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Tomo
Firstly, one should master the manual system just in case of eventualities - hiring or what have you.

Slightly lower fuel economy is the only advantage of the manual and is dependent on driving style. Maintenance costs are similar, and a Japanese (or Korean) "traditional" auto as advocated in other posts will last longer, though it may then be dearer if serious work is needed; but it is harder to accelerate the need for this by mishandling.

As to performance, the manual is quicker but only if unsympathetic driving methods are deployed. Otherwise the auto is quicker, not least when performance is suddenly called for.

I would plump for automatic.

(As an old timer who mastered the infamous Lagonda Z box, I must hope that one can no longer be burnt at the stake for apostasy!)
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - a900ss
Excuse my ignorance but I didn't even realise that the auto transmission fluid ever needed changing!!!!

My wife has a 2001 Megane Auto, 40,000 miles. How often should the ATF be changed?

Thanks

Owners manual should give you a clue. If the fliud is not perfectly clear then it's certainly due for a change.
for french cars ignore the makers advice and change the fluid at least every 10,000 miles, its the only positive thing you can do to move the odds slightly better in you favour versus the statistics of masses of french autos which fail every day

although this is good advice for all autos

never had a problem with brake pads, running autos and manuals, both pretty similar, these days the disks tend to corrode before the pads are due for renewal anyways so i get new pads and disks at that point rather than when the pads wear out, although some makers do this for free in warranty and others dont (poor old james may and his porsche)

Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - thomp1983
just another side note, if your wife only learns in an automatic and sits her test in one then you will be tied to buying automatics for her for the rest of your car buying life, which i would imagine would add up to quite a premium. id suggest investing in more lessons now to pass a manual test then if she wants an auto once she's passed fair enough but then you'll have more options in the future

chris
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - colinh
"The VW Golf is likely to be the first model to benefit from the seven-speed version of the DSG automatic. The extra ratio has allowed VW to space first and second closer together ? for better acceleration away from a standstill ? and provide a taller top gear for improved economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions."

"In contrast to the six-speed DSG gearbox, the clutches of the new gearbox do not run in an oil bath." - with the aim of improving efficiency and reducing servicing costs

Thanks guys for your advice.

I understand that I should encourage my wife to continue learning in a manual. It's always easier to shift to automatic anytime :)
good luck

the other thing to watch on fairly new cars is that the road tax for an auto may be more than the equivalent manual, simply cos the emmissions are slightly worse

yep best advice is to pass test in manual, if for no other reason than the weekend holiday you want to rent a car or van and theres no autos available

cheers
"The VW Golf is likely to be the first model to benefit from the seven-speed
version of the DSG automatic. The extra ratio has allowed VW to space first and
second closer together ? for better acceleration away from a standstill ? and provide a
taller top gear for improved economy and lower carbon dioxide emissions."
"In contrast to the six-speed DSG gearbox the clutches of the new gearbox do not
run in an oil bath." - with the aim of improving efficiency and reducing servicing
costs

Are you now saying, or at least quoting from somwhere else, that VW have done a volte-face with their DSG design and have done away with wet multiplate clutches?
I thought that the latter would at least be necessary, in a box without a torque converter, so as to smooth out the changes from one gear to another........or are you saying that these are now to be dry multiplate clutches?
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Peter D
As has been pointed out an Automatic license is no good if you are away on holiday in the UK in your car which may be a manual and you are taken ill or fall and break you leg. She has not got a licence to drive you home. Further and a bit harsh I know but if a driver can not master a clutch and a gear stick which are both under her control how is she going to manage steering, 60/70 miles and hour and all the variables that are not under her control then god help us. I suggest you buy her some track or airfield time where she can just sort ot the gears first. I always tech clutch control by getting the person to pull away with no throttle and when they do get it do it again and again for 30 times or so. That's mapped in the mind and does not get forgotten. Then deal with moving gear changes and build it up. Regards Peter
Peter D,

I wouldn?t worry about that so much.

I know lots of Australians and Americans who have never driven a manual, never needed to, and never wanted to. Doesn?t stop them driving long distances at speed safely.

It?s more practical that in the UK manuals are in the majority, and mostly a courtesy car or cheap hire car are going to be manual, small vans you may want to hire will be manual. So you do need that flexibility.

Don?t think being a pure auto driver necessarily makes you a "god help us" candidate, for that I suggest you look at the places folk go to retire Bexhill etc, don?t matter how bad your driving is if you?re old enough you get away with it in this country!

ha ha

Also remember that she will still need to take a proper driving test and pass. If her driving was not up to scratch then she would not be able to pass the test. Just because she finds it easier in an auto shouldn't make it dangerous. However, I do agree that in the UK it is more practical to have a manual licence.

Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - boxsterboy
To throw a spanner in the works of 'Jap cars good, French cars bad' arguement, we have a C8 HDI Auto. This 'conventional' auto box is made by Jatco, and yet I gather from HJ that these boxes, where used elsewhere, have been problematic. Ours has been fine, BTW, apart from a reluctance to rev unless in Tip-mode.

I am now 3000 miles into a C4 HDI EGS (automated gearchange) which has been most interesting. If we start from the premise that all gearboxes are a compromise, I think this is probably the least compromised. You can leave it auto (when it tends to be a bit lurchy) if you are lazy, or use manual gearlever or flappy paddles on the steering wheel. For town driving it is great (not perfect, mind, but then neither is a manual). You have the control of the gears without the hassle of pumping the clutch pedal. On the open road (in manual mode) it is aso fun in that you can control the gears, downchange before a bend, red-line it (if that's your thing), etc. The gear changes take 0.8s on the paddles and 1.2s on the gear lever, and can be speeded up (or made more abrupt) with a 'sport' button. Either way it is as quick if not quicker than a manual.

Benefits include 100% non-abuse of clutch, so it should last longer, and lower emissions than the manual (giving me £35 RFL, and hopefully exemption from the Congestion Charge in the not too distant). It hs a hill-hold function when on a slope but has no creep on the level (so you don't dazzle the person behind you with brake-lights)

Yes, long term, who knows how these boxes will last, but as I said above, it is impossible to abuse the clutch, so maybe they will last longer? I am not aware fo any major longevity/reliability problems with the Smart gearboxes.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Dynamic Dave
Owners manual should give you a clue. If the fliud is not perfectly clear then
it's certainly due for a change.

I have no way of checking my Vectra-C autobox. It's *sealed for life* and there is no dipstick to be able to check the levels with or to pull out to check what colour the fluid is.
">sealed for life<" Yes, sealed for the life of the gearbox. When the gearbox goes bang because the ATF has the consistency and aroma of cooking oil then the life of the gearbox is over.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - GregSwain
When the gearbox goes bang because the ATF has the consistency and aroma of cooking oil then the life
of the gearbox is over.

I've known Japanese-designed autoboxes to do over 100k on their original ATF. Not advisable if you could change it, but I doubt the likes of Aisin-Warner would make a "sealed for life" gearbox unless they were confident in the longevity of their product. I drove my mum's old Vectra-B auto, and the box was excellent (smooth as silk, and not wanting to kick-down all the time), and had already done 50k on its original fluid. I have absolutely no doubt that the box would've done another 50k without a change. Personally I would change it every few years where possible, every year in a Renault-designed autobox which is like a timebomb waiting to fail!
Truthfully most modern auto's will do over 100k on their original fill of synthetic ATF. Heat is the great enemy of auto transmissions and things go 'pear shaped' if they are worked hard (mountain driving, towing etc.). Best way to make a transmission last is to fit a cooler. If you want to make it last WELL BEYOND 100k then two-yearly ATF changes are a good idea.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - happytorque
Does anyone know whether its possible / necessary to change the ATF in my C5 2.0 Petrol auto box. (PSA 'AL4' gearbox) 2006 model
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Vansboy
Auto will prove more economoical in plenty of ways ESPECIALLY during town use.

Lots of London & othe rbig city Boroughs run auto, on a huge range of vehicles, from car sized vans, to minibusses. The additional up-front costs, far outweigh the never needing to buy new clutches, engines always operate at correct speeds, as they have difficulty getting into a situation of over revving, gearboxes don't get damaged, from poor driving techniqe.

Plus the wear on drivers nerves is reduced, due to the more 'relaxed' driving style needed.

The Police traffic cars are more often than not auto, again, easier drivability & faster response, from a non-manual vehicle.

VB
Given that more new cars will be sold with automatic gearboxes than manual versions this year (Autocar 7Mar07), I'm not too sure why we continue to have these debates. Shouldn't the subject be "manual gearboxes -why?"
[Quote]The Police traffic cars are more often than not auto, again, easier drivability & faster response, from a non-manual vehicle.[/Quote]

So that they can hold steering on one hand and the gun on other. For same reason Holywood movies always show automatic cars :D
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - mike hannon
Exactly. Can't imagine how stirring a lever about every few seconds ever caught on. ;-)
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - mike hannon
That was in reply to colinh, of course. Replies never seem to land in the right place for some reason.
That was in reply to colinh of course. Replies never seem to land in the
right place for some reason.

It is in the right place. Temp change to threaded view and you'll see that your reply is tagged onto colinh's, and not movilogo's.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=52285&...t

DD.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Xileno {P}
No one I know who uses this forum uses 'threaded view' though. Now if Khoo modified the software so the posts appeared inorder when viewing 'flat', that would be much improved IMO.
No one I know who uses this forum uses 'threaded view' though.

That's why I said to only temp change to threaded view - as a confirmation that it's in the right place more than anything.
Now if Khoo modified the software so the posts appeared inorder when viewing 'flat' that would be much improved IMO.

But if he did that, and you replied to a post near the top of the thread, your reply would end up right at the bottom of the thread and no one would know who you're replying to either (unless you partially quoted the message you're replying to, or put in "in reply to xxx"

DD.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Ian (Cape Town)
Heat is the great enemy of auto transmissions and things go 'pear shaped' if they
are worked hard (mountain driving towing etc.). Best way to make a transmission last is
to fit a cooler.

Also, if towing, locking down a gear on the hills is essential, to stop the box hunting - a surefire way to stuff it.
Additional gearbox coolers are quite cheap as well.
I drive both auto's and manuals - there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I prefer autos in town and in slow moving traffic. Manuals are much better on the open road and particularly in hilly terrain.
An auto is 'reactive' whereas with a manual you can be 'predictive'. Imagine approaching the bottom of a hill; the auto will not downshift until speed starts to drop and you press down on the pedal (i.e. it needs to sense the increased load). With a manual you downshift as you approach the hill and can give a bit of throttle whilst still on the flat.
On a windy road autos can be very annoying as you slow down and speed up for corners. Tiptronics are not bad - but I don't think the manual transmission will ever be bettered for sports cars.
That's why I think automated clutch gearboxes are about the best compromise. You can leave the in auto in town and then have the control of a manual box, change when you like, etc. out of town.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Shaz {p}
I've always preferred manual - although depends on the car. Also Manuals tend to 'feel' quicker then auto (unless kickdown is used, in which case the auto's are better accelerating).

Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Group B
Its funny the other day I was looking how many posts there were saying, "recommend a small automatic", "want a diesel auto", and I was wondering what is this fascination, why do so many people want an auto gearbox?.
So it seems I am totally out of touch if auto sales are going to exceed manuals as reported in Autocar!

I've driven autos a few times and enjoyed it in a novelty kind of way but would not have one in my own car. I enjoy changing gear, like the total control and using a clutch is no hardship. Where I drive I don't often have to deal with serious congestion, so an auto is unnecessary.
Also one of the big turn-offs for me is the droning exhaust note under acceleration.

I've only driven one tiptronic auto which was an early Audi one which did not have paddles, just the +/- on the gear selector, which was not great IMO. I would like to try a flappy paddle type though.

;o)
I enjoy changing gear like the
total control and using a clutch is no hardship. Where I drive I don't often
have to deal with serious congestion so an auto is unnecessary.
Also one of the big turn-offs for me is the droning exhaust note under acceleration.

Sounds like you are best off sticking to a manual then.

I find the wasteful noise of torque converter autos a turn-off too - they just sound so inefficient. You should try an automated clutch one day - no torque converter waste and control of a manual if you want. But they are not for everyone. Horses for courses and all that.
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - nortones2
On autos, it is simple to predict hills. Just shift from D to 3 or lower - same control as a manual.
"..Are you now saying, or at least quoting from somwhere else, that VW have done a volte-face with their DSG design and have done away with wet multiplate clutches?"

Yes, apparently. A quote from the Carkeys website today:

"Another difference is that the clutches in the new DSG use linings which do not require cooling. They therefore remain "dry", as opposed to the ones in the present DSG which have to be submerged in oil. This means a big reduction in the amount of drag in the transmission, and also an improvement in weight, since the total amount of oil required has fallen from 7 litres to 1.7 litres."
You need a nice V8 with a manual box, you can then double declutch going up and down the box. No reason to do so, but why miss the opportunity for aural stimulation?
Automatics - cheaper to maintain?? - Vincent de Marco
One may begin to wonder about genuine American auto box reliability. You know, those exotic ones (to us anyway) like Buick LaCrosse, Chrysler LHS, Chevrolet Lumina or Pontiac Bonnevile. A friend of mine fell in love with Oldsmobile Aurora MY '2001 4.0 V8 and 4-speed auto, brought it to Europe and... it packed up on German autobahn doing about 170 km/h or so. The box itself just couldn't stand such a pace, those cars are designed to cruise and that's that. Pity, as they produce automatics since forever...
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.