Crossroads etiquette - Brian Tryzers
Here's one that's bothered me on and off for a while, on which the Highway Code seems not to give a definitive answer. I'll illustrate it with a real-world example from last Sunday.

Driving through a village en route to lunch at a friend's house, I reached a crossroads and stopped at the give-way line, as there was traffic on the major road. I was turning right and signalling accordingly. As I waited for the traffic to clear, another car stopped at the give-way line on the opposite side, showing no signal and so apparently intending to go straight on.
When the main road cleared, I began my right-turn manoeuvre, but before I'd completed it, the other car also pulled out and indeed went straight across the junction. I'd half-anticipated this and was going slowly enough to stop and let it go, and we each went on our way.

My question is this: who should have waited for whom? All the HC offers is You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road, which we both did. Had we been at traffic lights, I would unquestionably have given way, but I took the view that we each had a give-way line to cross and I had reached the junction first, so I would set off first. (This, incidentally, is the rule that applies at 'four-way crossings' in the US.) And once I'd done that, you could argue that I was 'traffic on the main road' and the other driver should have waited for me. In the absence of eye contact, which the other driver carefully refused to make, what's the BR's view on what should happen here?
Crossroads etiquette - Brill {P}
I would say that in your position I'd have waited, because as you both set off you would have been crossing the path of the vehicle opposite. I don't think arriving first would make any difference to priority either.
Crossroads etiquette - Altea Ego
As you are turning right, into and across the path of the other vehicle, then you must give way. It in no way differs from your "Had we been at traffic lights, I would unquestionably have given way" statement. The junction is the same.

In essence a natural law of the road is that any vehicle that is deviating from the straight ahead should give way to those that are not.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Crossroads etiquette - Garethj
At a guess, I'd say you were turning across his lane so you should have given way?

However a bit like 3 people all waiting at a mini roundabout, it can become a bit of a Mexican standoff. So perhaps it's best to take the initiative and set off but be prepared to stop (as long as you can do this before traffic on the major road catches up with you)
Crossroads etiquette - Sofa Spud
Give way to oncoming traffic before turning right. I've always assumed that the rule still applies when both vehicles are crossing stop or give way lines.
Crossroads etiquette - Bill Payer
OK, so who would be at fault if both cars were going to turn onto the main road and head in the same direction (and both were indicating correctly) - they both pull out togther (perhaps a bit quick, due to traffic on the main road being busy) and manage to collide?

I'm faced with a busy crossroads every morning - the main road has fast, heavy traffic and both the other approach roads are busy. It's a nightmare being stuck behind someone who isn't 'positive' about making a move as I can be stuck there for ages.
Crossroads etiquette - Lud
No brainer. A crossroads is the same as any other bit of road. If you are turning across the other carriageway you need to wait until it is clear.
Crossroads etiquette - Pezzer
I think that you had the priority. You were on or entering the major road. The other party was merely crossing it from one road which had to cede passage onto another.
Arguably if you set off first you were on the priority road and the other vehicle has hit you when emerging from the side road. Might be interesting to prove however and turning infront of another vehicle is always going to be risky. From a practical standpoint I suspect discretion is the best bet !

I would imagine that bumps at x-roads must pretty well always be settled by insurance companies knock for knock.
OK, I make that 4.5 to 2.5 in favour of waiting for the car going straight across - a majority but not unanimity. But it's a common enough situation, as Bill Payer confirms, and it would be good to see it dealt with unambiguously in the Highway Code, wouldn't it?

On reflection, I suspect TVM is right and that Rule 156, on turning right, supports him:
...Wait until there is a safe gap between you and any oncoming vehicle.
provided you extend 'oncoming vehicle' to include one stationary behind the opposite give-way line.
Crossroads etiquette - Cliff Pope
There are of course variations on this basic situation:

1) both vehicles want to turn respectively right - do they /can they cross each other or go round back to back?
2) the side roads are not exactly opposite, giving one of them a built-in advantage in terms of getting across first
3) there is an island in the middle, but not enough space for a car to wait in the middle clear of both lanes on the main road
4) example near us - the dotted line marking the stopping position on a side road is stupidly set so far back that it is not possible to see the traffic on the main road, so cars have to edge forward.
5) one of the side roads has a stop line, the other does not. Does that convey priority to the other road, or not?
6) the whole layout is skewed by having a bend on the main road, or approach roads at oblique angles, so that "straight on" = right turn, or v.v.
Crossroads etiquette - IanJohnson
Dont know where it is covered but I was taught, many years ago, that if turning right you gave way to traffic going straight across or turning left. My FIL was prosecuted for breaking this rule when he was hit by someone he turned across, he wanted to plead not guilty and went through several solicitors before he found one who would take the case because they all felt he should plead guilty - which he was.

Crossroads etiquette - ForumNeedsModerating
Trouble is, most of the people we're likely to meet won't have the reasoned ablity of the posters here,
so all the hypotheses are bound to meet their disproving case. I always 'flash' or otherwise make clear
to the protagonist in these situations that they can go first - the small delay is better than a big delay.

Mind you, I have made gestures or flashed in some cases & the other driver stays resolutely stationary - in which
case I gingerly, though 'theatrically' make forward progress.
Mind you I have made gestures or flashed in some cases & the other driver
stays resolutely stationary - in which
case I gingerly though 'theatrically' make forward progress.

That's exactly the approach I take, and it's always in my mind that if we do bump, and the other driver says "you flashed me!" then I'll say I was simply indicating my presence!

What happens (which is really dodgy) at the X-roads I referred to earlier, is oposite drivers pull out together but turn sharply near side to near side (the main road is single carriageway A road and isn't wide enough to go around each other. So they end up driving up the wrong side of the A road for a short distance and then swerve across! With 60MPH traffic approaching in both directions, this is fraught with danger.
Crossroads etiquette - Pugugly {P}
From a defensive driving point of you i.e. learnt on a bike where the whole basis for survival comes from if you don't know what the other driving is about to wait for him to do it. IAM probably have some worthy neunomic to remind you to do this.
Crossroads etiquette - s61sw
George Bishop in Car magazine some years ago related a theory told to him by some bloke from the 1930?s, in that the best way to deal with crossroads was to whiz through at high speed (say 60mph). Two reasons:- first, you?re in the ?zone of danger? less time than going through at lower speeds, second, that any oncoming driver will be scared witless to see you coming at such a rate and will stop anyway. Make of that what you will!

S6 1SW
Crossroads etiquette - Screwloose

Didn't the Highway Code once say that, at a crossroads, you always pass offside to offside?

That way you pass behind the other car - whatever it does - and it's impossible to hit it.
Crossroads etiquette - Cliff Pope
George Bishop in Car magazine some years ago related a theory told to him by
some bloke from the 1930?s in that the best way to deal with crossroads was
to whiz through at high speed (say 60mph).

Like Ryan O'Neil in The Driver?
Crossroads etiquette - Micky
Who has right of way? Depends where the crash occurs. Offside to offside was always best, alternatively, drive a 244 ;-)
Crossroads etiquette - mk124
I take the view that the OP would technically have right of way since he is part of the traffic on the main road when he turns, thus invalidating the rule that you give way when not going straight ahead.

With my head dealt with, my heart says Micky and S61 have great ideas.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Crossroads etiquette - L'escargot
Here's one that's bothered me on and off for a while ...........

Give way to anything larger or more ferocious ~ elephants, lions, tigers etc. ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Good plan generally - but sometimes you just have to cross, even when you know there are crocodiles about.
Crossroads etiquette - ForumNeedsModerating
>>Good plan generally - but sometimes you just have to cross, even when you know there are crocodiles about.

Best to resist the desire for a drink first though(!)