Mondeo uneven tyre wear - hillman1 {p}
Morning,

I posted recently on discussion about the tyre on my Mondeo. They were Conti Sport contact 2 that needed replacing sooner than I had hoped.

The tyres had worn unevenly- both the front tyres had worn on the inner edges far more than the outer and so I asked the garage to check the tracking. They came back and said the tracking seemed fine.

When driving the car seems quite 'jittery' when going over bumps, manhole covers etc, and I am sure there is a problem somewhere. It doesn't drive like other Mondeos I have driven before, and I find myself trying to avoid bumps etc that I can't feel in our other car.

Would it be worth getting another garage (maybe a Ford Dealer) to do a tracking check, wheel alignment as well?

Would there be anything else that could make the tyre wear incorrectly other than tyre pressure?

Cheers All.
Uneven tyre wear - yorkiebar
Wishbones, suspension bushes, wheel bearings, coil springs, shock absorbers are the most likely culprits then. Could be others too but if tracking is ok then I would strongly suggest looking at the above mentioned items in detail for excess play/movement/wear etc.
Uneven tyre wear - hillman1 {p}
Forgot to mention...

The car doesn't pull in any particular direction.

When I say it is jittery it actually seems more unstable from the back end rather than the front.

There is also a very faint knocking coming from the front when for example you slowly accelerate and then take your foot off without depressing the clutch. I hate knocking noises etc and to give an idea I can hear it, but others have been unable to hear it..... Maybe I am strange!
Uneven tyre wear - yorkiebar
depends on year then, but around 2000 ish they suffer from rear subframe mounting bushes badly.

Have good look around there
It is an 02 with 102k. It actuallly had a new rear subframe when I bought it last May with 87k, so I would be surprisedif it was this. I think the best thing to do is book it into the garage...

Thanks

Nick
Uneven tyre wear - cheddar
Have a four wheel laser check, around £35, Pro-Tyre in Bristol and Micheldever Tyres are two that do a good job.
Somebody mentioned this but I couldn't remember what it was!! Doh!

Anyone have any ideas of anywhere that does this around the Kent/Surrey border?

Thanks
Uneven tyre wear - grahamw
Hi Hillman,

I can recommend Elite Garages of Mannings Heath near Horsham, about 30 miles from Edenbridge.
They have 4 wheel laser alignment kit and did a good job sorting out a Mazda 6 a couple of years ago for me.
To have the rear wheel tracking adjusted cost about £45.00.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. I used Elite many years ago when I lived in Horsham. I may even visit the old man who lives just down the road from them!!
Mondeo uneven tyre wear - Clk Sec
I often wonder why tracking checks and wheel alignment are not part of normal routine servicings.

Clk Sec
Mondeo uneven tyre wear - milkyjoe
I often wonder why tracking checks and wheel alignment are not part of normal routine
servicings.

all extras for the motor trade
Mondeo uneven tyre wear - DP
Our Scenic had an alignment check as part of its 36k service. The guy explained that they don't normally do it, but the technician noticed one of the front tyres was worn a little unevenly so they wanted to check it out. They proclaimed it all to be within tolerances, and didn't charge me for the check. Never seen this before, but a welcome reassurance.

Cheers
DP
Mondeo uneven tyre wear - Granada Cosworth
"I often wonder why tracking checks and wheel alignment are not part of normal routine servicings."

Best have them done at 'Rapid-Fit or Quicks Ford' for about £40 and Ford does know what they are doing on a Ford's cars and found them their result is always perfect!
Tracking - once or twice a year and it's prevents of wear and tear on front tyres.
Mondeo uneven tyre wear - Jonny
it depends what age mondeo you have mate, they were very prone to front lower arm bushes splitting which would wear tyres on the front, later models were prone to rear subframe bushes wearing. a well done 4 wheel alignment can take a couple of hours, can be quite awkward to get a car spot on, and services are made to reasonably cheap for what you get people wouldnt want to pay for an extra 2 hours work every 2 years on top of service costs, they cost enough anyway. hope that helps.