Camac crossplies...any good? - Steptoe
Whilst undertaking the usual pre-season service and check on the P4 on Friday I was taken aback to find the tread separating from the casing on the front tyres. As I bought these S/H a couple of years ago from a 'friend' who was emigrating all I can do is to bite the bullet and buy some new ones.

My rear tyres are Avon Super and these still good after many years service, and these are available for £94, however the same supplier has Camac tyres for half this price. As this is a brand I have not heard of before, wondered if anyone has ever had these fitted and what sort of quality they are. Obviously I don't want to skimp on safety, however I don't push mileage or performance envelopes in this car, and a £100 saving would be useful -;)
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Camac crossplies...any good? - DP
I had Camac radials on the front of my old Cavalier when I bought it. They seemed okay for general pottering about, but were truly dreadful in the wet. Put up with them for a few thousand miles and then replaced them with Goodyear Eagle NCT2s. The difference in both noise levels and grip was remarkable, but as you say, so was the price.

They're a reasonable budget tyre, but on the Cavalier (which had front end grip "issues" anyway), you didn't need to be pressing on particularly hard to discover their limitations.

I would be tempted to stump up the cash for the Avons if at all possible.

Cheers
DP
Camac crossplies...any good? - yorkiebar
I assume the rear avon tyres are cross ply too?
I assume the rear avon tyres are cross ply too?

Indeed they are! One option was to replace all tyres with radials; however one problem of doing this is that the spare wheel compartment will barely take a 600 x 15 crossply, a fatter radial tyre will not go in (the only solution being to utilise the miniscule boot or major metal surgery on the compartment)

Thanks for the advice DP, regarding my situation, if you have ever driven a P4 you will know road holding is not very high on the specs, I do prefer not to use the car in the wet but at least that quietens the tyre squeal on corners!

Will call round to the tyre factors this morning to see if they can come up with anything.

Camac crossplies...any good? - RichardW
I'm sure there was a review of tyres in Practical Classics a couple of months ago. I doubt I've still got it but I'll have a look - and PC have taken their website off line so can't search for the article.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Camac crossplies...any good? - bell boy
I would certainly try the camacs
i always recommend their radials and its quite possible the crossplys use ex good quality dies from a major manufacturer?
even if they dont the crossplies will sell in high numbers to under developed countries so im sure the quality will be good
Camac crossplies...any good? - nick
I have Camac crossplies on my Daimler Conquest. They seem fine and are well thought of in the club. I used to have a P4 100, a fine car. That was on radials and the only way to get a spare in was to deflate it which rather defeated the purpose.
Thanks for the general vote of confidence in the Camac's, I will put an online order in.

The tyre factors weren't really much help, though they could get 670 X 15 Camac's to order, they tried to get me to switch to radials, the manager suggesting that mixing 670's with the existing 640's would unbalence the roadholding. (To be fair he is not old enough to have experienced a P4 as an everyday car)

Just to close this off, and if anyone has the same query, I eventually purchased the Avons, purely on the basis that these are tubeless whereas crossply Camacs would require a tube.

This reduces the price differential by £10, and more significantly would increase the chances of having to actually use the spare wheel! As a bonus the two new Avons will match the existing tyres in pattern and size.

Thanks again to all who responded.