£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - wrkactjob
A couple of months ago I went to my local DVLA office and bought 12 months tax for my wifes newly bought Peugeot 307 1.4 hdi I was charged £50 and given the disc.

Now upon investigation I read the V5 and see the carbons emmision of 120 and thus is in group B = £35 a year.

Has a mistake been made?...there is no road tax band of 12 months for £50!...the next category is C and is £115!!

Anyone?
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - David Horn
There was the small matter of the Budget about a month ago...
This was more than a month ago and all on line calculators I can find official or other indicate 120 or less = £35 a year....

Can you show me a link to an up to date VED calculator that shows otherwise?
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - flunky
it's 3/4 of the way down this page

www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/pn02.htm

Oh bum!...Ok thanks...seems all the online calculators are not current then...ho hum.
Oh bum!...Ok thanks...seems all the online calculators are not current then...ho hum.

they are current. The rates changed on March 26th.

The link I gave you is for pre-March 26th.
actually I have just been told that the link given to me was for 2006 and that now in 2007 the rate has gone down to £35 a year...thus why the official DVLA website shows the rate as being £35 and not £50.

Can anyone confirm when the rate changed occured and what is the correct current rate for a car with 120 or less carb emmisions is?
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - pendulum
Can anyone confirm when the rate changed occured and what is the correct current rate
for a car with 120 or less carb emmisions is?

It changed in the Budget. Although I swear someone already told you that!

www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&stor...0

"At the same time cars producing between 101 and 120g/km CO2 (band B) have had their VED cut to £35 with immediate effect" - Date of article, 27 Mar 07.
OK I am with it now I think...the rate change occured in late March and I got the disc in early March at the higher rate of £50...so just bad luck for me!

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...4

Is the current rate.
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - L'escargot
www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/pn02.htm

Is there a similar site for 2007/8?
--
L\'escargot.
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - pafosman
£35 or £50, it still seems like a bargain to me! I thought that £35 rate was for fairly useless micro cars. On a 1.4 307 I'm very jealous. The direct.gov.uk site gave me some food for thought. The 1.25 diesel Multijet Panda is rated at £35 as the emissions are 114. The same engine in the Doblo, rated at 85 bhp as opposed to 70 ( I think ) in the Panda gives emissions of 145 and is hence liable for the higher rate VED. I had been thinking about buying a second hand Panda and getting tweaked to get the 85 bhp out of it. Am I therefore obliged to inform DVLA as well as the insurers so that I can pay the higher rate and avoid being inprisoned for denying the Crown her dues ? Interestingly if you have a motorbike over 600cc you pay £64 ! Bit steep isn't it?

Papho
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - paulb {P}
I had been thinking
about buying a second hand Panda and getting tweaked to get the 85 bhp out
of it.

Might want to be careful there - I understand that the reason it's de-tuned in the Panda (70 bhp but torque output down to 106 lbs ft, as opposed to 133 or so in the 70 bhp versions in Puntos and so on) is because it uses the standard 1.2 Panda gearbox, which can't deal with big torque.

I agree that it's faintly annoying to pay more road tax for a bike than for a car, though - £46 for the Bandit (600cc) as opposed to £35 for Mrs B's Panda Multijet...
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - Simon
>>OK I am with it now I think...the rate change occured in late March and I got the disc in early >>March at the higher rate of £50...so just bad luck for me!

Yep the cost of that band went down in the budget rather than up. Thats the trouble with buying your tax disc either side of the budget day, you don't know if you are doing the right thing, although 9 times out of 10 they are always more expensive after the budget.
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - Simon
>>Interestingly if you have a motorbike over 600cc you pay £64 ! Bit steep isn't it?

Yep we've been down this road before on this forum and I still think that its a rip off. How they can justify a two wheeled motorcycle should pay more road tax than a 4 wheeled diesel car is beyond me.

Wasn't the road tax/excise licence originally designed to collect money to pay for the upkeep of our road network? Nowadays it seems to be used as a 'fine' for owning a large or high powered vehicle, and its all about the environment not the maintenance of the roads.
Yeah the Peugeot was a 2002 model now no longer made....it does feel a tad under powered...but it was for my wife and she drives fast enough as it is!...the V5 show 120 for the Carbon emissions so it just scrapes into a cat B.

For those looking for fun and keeping costs down the old(er) shape Renault Clio dci 65/80/100 range seem to offer mucho fun for bucks....also there are various tuning options to make them even more zippy. The dci 100 keeps emissions below 120 and still has torque level of 200nm! and thats before tuning!

www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?app=Clio%202&cat...g
current tax is here:
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...4
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - Dynamic Dave
You can also check via

www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/

Click on "Vehicle Enquiry" on the LH side of the page, then fill in the relevant boxes.

£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - TimOrridge
Stop moaning
I pay 180 per annum for mine
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - XantKing
I looked into this just after the budget - as far as I can tell, there was nothing to stop you buying a Band B diesel and having it chipped, whilst still being entitled to £35 a year VED.

And diesel was the best way to get more bang for your buck in Band B - last time I checked, there were no petrols over 1.0 litre or about 70bhp, whilst the diesels went up to 1.6 and 110bhp.

The Renault range, as mentioned, was handy, with both Clios and Meganes offering 68bhp and 86 bhp (106bhp dci just didn't make it, although I'd expect that to maybe be tweaked soon to slip under 120g/km CO2). Curiously, the 68bhp version produces more CO2 than the 86bhp!

It's Citreon who seem to do best from this - the 1.6 HDi C3 with 110bhp and the C4 with the same engine (although only with the fancy flappy gearbox) both fall into Band B.

Personally, I'm tempted by the 90bhp Yaris D-4D, but I think in a few months time, we'll start to see loads more options falling into this category, with engines such as Fiat/Vauxhall's 1.3 and Peugeot and Ford bringing their versions of the 1.6 HDi into line too in the likes of the 307 and Focus.
£50 A Year Road Tax??!! What?? - Dalglish
>> www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/pn02.htm
Is there a similar site for 2007/8? - L'escargot.

yes, www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2007/pn2.htm