Insurance write off (CAT c) re-build - guygamps
Help appreciate here..

As a treat (2nd car for fun purposes) I bought a Nissan 200SX Turbo (S14A touring for those who know these cars).

Unfortunately only 2 weeks after getting it, I lost grip on some slimy mud left on the road by travellers exiting a field, and erm... crashed it. I feel a bit of a plonker, never had a road accident in 18 years!. it seems these cars have a tendency to loose grip in the wet, even HJ says so, but still, I am rather upset at the loss of a lovely car.

Anyway, it was a very fine example of this car, and has been declared a Cat C write off. The insurance company have offered to sell the wreck back to me, so if I can find someone to rebuild it (process already started on that) what is involved in getting it back on the road in terms of insurance cover, and any legal issues, MOT etc etc. Once the rebuild is finished, whats the process I have to go through.

If anyone wants to read the whole story, please see

www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=287447

The owners club have been a fabulous support, but so too are HJ contributors, so please any advice?

Guy

Insurance write off (CAT c) re-build - bell boy
read this

tinyurl.com/32m55n {Link to www.direct.gov.uk shortened due to page width being affected - DD}

then download the application for a vic form on the same site (middle) you need adobe for this

fill all the details in, enclose a cheque for £36 and send it off to your nearest vosa centre that does vic checks, (page 3 0r 4 has the details)
You may have to wait 6 weeks for an appointment depending where you live.

With regards insurance you just insure it as normal ,you do not need to declare it but obviously the car is worth a bit less now that it is stained with the cat c marker,Just be sensible on your valuation.
If your car tax has run out then you will not be able to tax it until you get your vic ,you can then take this with your application for a new log book (V62 NO CHARGE FOR THIS AS YOU HAVE PAID FOR THE VIC CHECK) and v10 application to a local dvla tax office to tax the car,again depending where you live you may have to wait a few days for all the lelevant authorities to send the paper chase details to each other so you can do this,you could leave all the paperwork and get them to post it on if you wish.
With regards the mot it depends whom you speak to whether the current mot is valid or not,i suggest you have a new one done anyway for peace of mind,bare in mind the mot man or vosa inspecter cannot fail your car on sloppy repairs unless dangerous so make sure your man is not a hit it with a sledgehammer and whack some paint on it guv type outfit
Main thing make sure you have a proper job done on any repairs as you will be surprised what can get damaged even though at first glance everything may look ok to the untrained eye (ie your man that can may bounce your bill up much further than you first anticipated) not necesarily his fault remember ,this is partly why it will have been written off due to unknowns and cost of some parts

ok?

Insurance write off (CAT c) re-build - Aprilia
They can certainly be tricky cars on poor surfaces. I am a great Nissan fan but a bit wary of the 200SX for that reason - even at low speed on a wet roundabout you can swap ends.
It will not be a cheap repair if its done properly - I would get a couple of opinions on the damage before committing. Make sure that it is all lined up properly (e.g. a good alignment jig - something like a Chief laser-aligner). Also when the repair is finished have a full 3D laser alignment done at the wheels - if its not spot on you'll have a lethal handling car.