Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - whoopwhoop
In a moment of stupidity I've just put diesel in my RS4. Durrrrrrr.

We live about 15 miles from the nearest petrol station and the tank was on empty so being sensible (or so I thought) I put a 10litre jerry can of what I thought was petrol in it. As soon as I'd done it I realised it was actually Diesel for my wifes car, not petrol.

Car still starts and runs but sounds a very clattery and is belting out smoke like noones business...... should I drive it to the petrol station 15 miles away and fill to the brim with petrol to dilite the diesel, or call Audi out (presumably they will charge to syphon the tank?).
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Chris S
Diesel in a petrol car won't burn cleanly and might wreck your cat. You might have done that already with all the smoke.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Collos25
Do not drive it anywhere you need to drain it completely and fill to the top with petrol and hope to hell the cat is ok,if it had been petrol in diesel you would have probably got away with it.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - brittaink
I agree, sounds painful but is not to bad, I did it in my volvo S40 T4 once. Ran it for about a minute with £10's worth of diesel in it, long story. You may be lucky like me and get away with it. Definetely have it syphened and do not use in the mean time.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - L'escargot
In a moment of stupidity I've just put diesel in my RS4. Durrrrrrr.

I bet it stopped you going "Whoop whoop". Sorry, but I just couldn't resist it.
--
L\'escargot.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - injection doc
Drain as best you can , brim with PETROL and take it out for an italian to clean the cat up, You should be ok.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Chris M
Out of interest, how do you dispose of the petrol/diesel mixture?

Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Peter D
Drain it as best you can as said now put a gallon of petrol in ans turn the ignition on then off and wait 5 mins then onanf off and wait again then on and off then drain again. This allows the feed and return pipes to be flushed out, then brim it and drive sensibly for 10 miles then give it it's head to get the cat uo to temp. I am surprised you satred it knowing you had put diesel in it. Hopefully no harm done. Regards Peter
Just been to the petrol station - I drove it there (about 15 miles). It actually drove OK - the engine warning light was on and it sounded a bit like a diesel (oddly enough!) but drove fine. Performance was suprisingly good as well - but it needed driving hard.

I've brimmed it with unleaded, and it sounds and drives like normal now. The engine light has gone off also.

I only plan to keep it to 18 months anyway, so not bothered about the cat or any other long term damage.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Dynamic Dave
I only plan to keep it to 18 months anyway so not bothered about the cat or any other long term damage.

I hope for your sake the next car you buy hasn't had a previous owner with the same attitude as yours.
I hope for your sake the next car you buy hasn't had a previous owner
with the same attitude as yours.

I only buy new cars, so pretty unlikely. Thats the priviledge you get for paying £50k for a car.

If you pay £30k for a second hand version, you don't get the same priviledges...
Thats the priviledge you get for paying £50k for a car.

Says the man who earlier asked whether he would get charged to have the tank syphoned.
Says the man who earlier asked whether he would get charged to have the tank
syphoned.

Your point being???!
Your point being???!

Turtle82's & rtj70's posts further down have basically said what my reply would have been to this.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - L'escargot
I only buy new cars so pretty unlikely. Thats the priviledge you get for paying
£50k for a car.

If you've got it, flaunt it. That's my motto. I just wish I had that sort of money and then I'd flaunt it as well!
--
L\'escargot.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Collos25
I hope you treat your wife beter than your cars.
????????

What has my wife got to do with anything?

A car is just a car...
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Cliff Pope
If I had just put diesel into a £50,000 petrol car I would feel such a prat the last thing I would do would be to advertise it on a motoring forum.
How mant threads have there been on this subject?
If I had just put diesel into a £50 000 petrol car I would feel
such a prat the last thing I would do would be to advertise it on
a motoring forum.
How mant threads have there been on this subject?

Gosh! I should have thought of that! Thankfully I feel sufficiently secure about myself not to give a hoot about what some insiginificant internet person thinks. I made a human error. I'm not really sure how any number of threads on a small internet forum which I very rarely read, is supposed to have influenced the matter!. Rest assured I won't lose any sleep over it.

(but thanks for your contribution though!)
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Turtle82
I'm [i]really[/i] struggling to understand why someone would come on here to ask about this issue, take no notice whatsoever of the advice given and then give it large to all and sundry who question the motive.

Surely not trying to massage ones ego by admitting to something stupid and then telling us all that that the cost wouldn't matter anyway...

Pfft.. stick to downing a large G and T next time, rather than wasting people's time trying to help you.

Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - rtj70
If I could afford a £50k I don't think I'd risk starting it let alone driving it with diesel in it. But if I could afford a £50k car I probably afford to get the tank drained and a hire car in the meantime if necessary.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - cheddar
I guess if you can afford a £50k + car every 18 months you can afford £2k for a cat or £10k + for an engine, so £100 to drain the tank should have been a no brainer.

I wonder why some one with little respect for cars bothers to look in on a motoring forum.
Just filled RS4 with diesel... help - Lud
Not just a motoring forum cheddar, but a 'small' one populated by 'insignificant internet people'.

The sort of place where uncontrollable envy for whoopwhoop's limitless wealth and lordly indifference to the state of his car is liable to break out any minute and take the form of sarcasm or worse.