Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - happychappy
Hi all,

We have finally purchased a VW golf TDi.
Its a 2000 W reg 1.9 tdi 110bhp.We paid £4000 for it. Has 56k on the clock and one owner from new. Lovely dark green colour.

I am aware its good to drain the diesel fuel filter periodically via the screw tap/bung at the bottom of the filter.

My question is how does one restart the car after draining the filter and surely the car will not have any diesel in the filter to run on?

Is there any tips for easy starting?

How to Restart Car after Fuel Filter - milkyjoe
i suppose you would have to bleed any air in the fuel system out before the pump will deliver fuel to the injectors
How to Restart Car after Fuel Filter - David Horn
It's probably self bleeding.
How to Restart Car after Fuel Filter - GregSwain
A lot of diesels have to be hand-primed with a black rubber "bulb", which you squeeze repeatedly till it goes hard. Not familiar with VW diesels so might be self-priming if you can't find a priming bulb in an obvious place.
How to Restart Car after Fuel Filter - Cliff Pope
On marine engines there is a process of slackening bleed screws and pipe unions progressively along the fuel path, while hand-operating the fuel pump to expel any air.
Probably car diesels are made easy for idiots.
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - Jonny
now then happy chappy, as the other guys have said alot of diesel engines have a priming pump built into the filter housng that just needs pumping till it goes hard, some are self priming, but ive come across engines that will prime the system if you turn the ignition on, leave 20 secs turn off the ignition, repeat this a few times, the pump will prime the fuel system. hope that helps dude
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - prm72
If your just draining water out the bottom of the filter, you shouldn't need to prime it, it should just start.
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - quizman

Well done prm36, this is the correct answer.
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - mss1tw
No priming required after a filter change on my car with the same engine. Fill up the new one, hook it up, fire it up.
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - Roly93
I think the usual procedure is to just turn the ignition off and on 4 or 5 times and then it should just start after minimal cranking.
Restarting Golf TDi - fuel filter drain - Hamsafar
You don't have to do anything, the water drips out of the trap and diesel takes it's place, air doesn't come into it.