Advice on placing deposits - Macca07
Hi,

I've been dealing with an internet company about buying a pre-reg car that they were advertising online. I pretty much told the salesman over the phone that I wanted the car so placed a deposit using my credit card (£400). He emailed me an order form to sign to confirm the order etc etc. My situation has changed before I signed and returned the form and I now no longer require the vehicle, can I demand the dealer to refund my deposit or can I go to my credit card company to cancel the transaction?

Anybody know what the procedure is or have I just thrown £400 down the swanny???

Look forward to hearing some feedback.

Thanks in advance.
Advice on placing deposits - Collos25
I would have thought you have made a contract and could be liable for the full purchase of the car.
Looking into it further, do I not have some sort of cooling off period?
Advice on placing deposits - rjr
You aren't having much luck buying cars over the phone!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=49191

Previously you exepcted a dealer to be obliged to sell you a car after you verbally agreed to buy it (but did not place a deposit).

Now you expect a dealer to release you from buying a car after you verbally agreed to buy it (and did place a deposit).

In the first instance I don't think you entered a contract. However, this time I think you have entered a contract and the dealer may be entitled to keep your deposit.

I don't know whether the rules on distance selling apply here but you certainly have nothing to lose by asking the dealer to refund your deposit.
Advice on placing deposits - bell boy
have you told the dealer your changed circumstances as the first thing to do
You are right, my plight is slightly ironic!

The dealer is being a bit of a stick in the mud about it, pretty much saying that he has ordered the car now and that even though i didnt sign the form I am still obliged to purchase the car or lose my deposit.

But am I not covered by some sort of cooling off period?!

Advice on placing deposits - martint123
"Cars and other vehicles sold by distance means".

www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/consumer_protect...f
Advice on placing deposits - Aprilia
Since its a pre-reg I doubt the dealer will have suffered any loss. I would argue for a refund.
Advice on placing deposits - kithmo
With distance buying, the only downside to cancellation, which should have been explained to you on the phone, and should be written in the paper contract that they've sent you to sign, is that they could charge you recovery costs to return the vehicle. But since you haven't even had the vehicle this would not apply. Cancel and explain to them that under the DSR you have 7 days to decide to accept the contract or not and they have 30 days to return your deposit if you don't accept it..