Sorry! A boring car tax question - BackOfTheNet
Remembering that my car tax expired at the end of this month (ie. midnight tomorrow), I renewed via the direct.gov.uk website today. On there they state it can take 5 working days to deliver the new disc, which in all likelihood means I won't receive the tax disc until after my due renewal date.

What therefore is my legal position? Will I be breaking the law by not displaying a valid tax disc? (even though the DVLA records would show I have bought a new one). Could it potentially cause problems with my insurance?

And before anyone asks, the answer to the two obvious questions are:
1. I forgot to do it sooner!!
2. I can't get to a post office tomorrow (plus I turned the house upside down looking for the MOT cert this afternoon!!)

Help/advice would be greatly appreciated...
Sorry! A boring car tax question - yorkiebar
as i understand it .... failure to display is an offence ?
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Bromptonaut
While the 14 day grace period is a myth I don't think the powers that be are too bothered (and the volumes of offenders would be massive) provided there is no intention to defraud. Failure to display might be in play if you fail a roadside attitude test but again there are generally bigger fish to fry.
Sorry! A boring car tax question - DavidHM
What therefore is my legal position?

Will I be breaking the law by not displaying a valid tax disc? (even though the DVLA records would show I have bought a new one).

Yes, but you would be guilty of the lesser offence of failing to display, £200 max. fine and no points. Of course you'll be safe from ANPR and so you'd be very unlucky to get caught unless your car spends most of its time parked on the street.

Could it potentially cause problems with my insurance?

Not that I can see. Usually the only requirement is that the car should be 'roadworthy.'
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Pugugly {P}
Cops can in theory issue a fixes for not displaying tax. I only know of one case when the NEFPT system came in in the 80s
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Dalglish
see similar discussion here recently:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=50941&...f
Tax Disc Dilema - Fullchat Wed 11 Apr 07 21:58

Sorry! A boring car tax question - bell boy
i posted on this last year after being given advice at the dvla office at beverley humberside
If you have taxed your car but cannot display it due to non arrival then you are NOT commiting an offence in the eyes of the dvla
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Hugo {P}
i posted on this last year after being given advice at the dvla office at
beverley humberside
If you have taxed your car but cannot display it due to non arrival then
you are NOT commiting an offence in the eyes of the dvla

But you ARE in the eyes of the police
Oh I wouldn't worry about it.
Sorry! A boring car tax question - BackOfTheNet
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Sorry! A boring car tax question - L'escargot
I'm more interested in whether the disc would get lost in the post. I tax mine at a Post Office.
--
L\'escargot.
Sorry! A boring car tax question - XantKing
A few years ago, I was pulled over by a surly motorcycle cop I had passed at the side of the road, and he asked me where my tax disc was. I pointed to it in the windscreen, where I'd been holding it using the little parking ticket clip that you get on Xantias on the driver's side. He pointed out that it should be on the left hand side and sent me on my way. Struck me as decidedly petty - I'd paid 90 quid for this wee piece of paper, and as far as I was concerned, as long as it was clearly visible, I could put it anywhere I liked - although it does say on it somewhere that it should go on the left, why make life easier for traffic wardens, give them a bit of exercise!

So I'm wondering, is it actually enshrined in law that it must be displayed on that side?

Sorry! A boring car tax question - L'escargot
So I'm wondering is it actually enshrined in law that it must be displayed on
that side?

Isn't "it does say on it somewhere that it should go on the left" good enough for you?
--
L\'escargot.
Should be on the nearside of the windscreen for reading on the kerb. It's in the legistlation (or was when I was learning my trade) I can't be bothered to look it up though !
I lied

S33 (Para C) Vehicle Excise Act 1994

This allows the SofS to make it clear where a tax disc should be. The current wording (in2001) is/was

under Reg 16 Road Vehicles ( Reg and Lic) Regs 1971 (SI 1971 No 450) "Clearly visible in the windscreen of the vehicle so it can be read from the nearside in daylight"

I am almost certain there are stated cases on it - but I really can't be bothered.

So the Cop was surly because he though he had one n the bag.
Sorry! A boring car tax question - PhilW
Renewed mine on line last week - it only took 3 days so you might not have too long to wait.
--
Phil
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Fullchat
Well its the 1st of May tomorrow and I can take my car off the drive and use it for work. New VEL arrived. ;-)
--
Fullchat
Sorry! A boring car tax question - Ruperts Trooper
If the old tax disc is on display while waiting for the new one to arrive, you won't "normally" get any problem. The new DVLA online system is no different to renewing through the post or at a post office in the first few days of the month.

If you were extremely unlucky to get a ticket during this time, you could elect a court appearance and explain mitigating circumstances.

I thought "everyone" knew that the tax disc has to be on the nearside front of an vehicle. It's also the only thing allowed to obstruct the area of the windsceen swept by the wiper blades - if plod are having a bad day they could get 90% of us on that!