moral maze - barney100
Swmbo asked me to pose this question. Her friend took another friend out in her car for visit to somewhere or other and when they returned to the car someone had attempted to break into the car then gave up leaving £300 or so as a a repair bill. The question is that the car owner is peeved that her friend didn't offer to pay some of the bill as an insurance claim is not worth the loss of a no claims. Do you think the passenger has a moral responsibility to contribute. Swmbo and I disagree on this.
moral maze - Pugugly {P}
Not really, just bad luck.
moral maze - Pezzer
Based on those facts no !
moral maze - Bromptonaut
Think we need to know more.

Does friend know insurance claim not being pursued?
Was visit a joint social event or was it a case of A doing B a favour?
Is £300 (or half of it) a huge issue to either or both of them?

Generally one might offer but be slightly surprised/offended if the offer were taken up!!!!
moral maze - Armitage Shanks {p}
Was this just a joint girlie shopping trip or did one lady make a specific journey to take her friend to a location in which only the latter was interested? Was it a joint effort or was she being used as a taxi? Over all I'd say that is what is insurance is for and if she has got a low premium as a result of high XS it is a personal problem.
moral maze - kithmo
IMO it depends if the passenger asked the driver to take them or whether the driver offered to take them. If the first then morally yes, if I asked someone to take me somewhere I would chip in, if not pay for it all. In the second scenario it depends on if there was an alternative way to get there, whether the passenger really wanted a lift and whether the passenger can afford to chip in.
moral maze - andymc {P}
If I had given a friend a lift in my car (whether I was asked to as a favour or offered to do so), which subsequently ended up damaged in this way, it simply wouldn't occur to me that my friend would bear any responsibility to me whatsoever. Of course I'd be ready to rip the culprit into tiny shreds, but expect my friend to stump up? Why should they? Sometimes you have bad luck, but I can't see how it would be my friend's fault. May as well blame yourself if someone has an accident near you, on the basis that if you weren't on the road they would have been further ahead/further behind and you "made" it happen to them ...
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
moral maze - yorkiebar
If passenger asked for trip or trip wasmade specifically for passengers reason then a conrtibution would be nice (or moral) if affordable but if not then totally agree with andymc
moral maze - zm
No, life is too short to fall out over it ( I assume they are good friends).
moral maze - Altea Ego
If you got a speeding ticket or three points, would you expect your passenger to share the penalty?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
moral maze - Dalglish
...Her friend took another friend out in her car for visit to somewhere or other ..

well the 1st friend should have made the conditions of transport quite clear to the 2nd friend.
or found a better safer place to park her car.

remember, if the fisrt friend was involved in an accident which was then proved to her fault, then if the 2nd friend had been injured, you can bet your bottom penny that the 2nd friend would have sued the 1st friend for damages.

two morals of this story:
don't give lifts to friends if you expect them to share your pain.
a friend in need is a indeed a friend not to be.
moral maze - kithmo
If you got a speeding ticket or three points would you expect your passenger to
share the penalty?

LOL, depends if they've got a licence to put the points on ;o)

Forgot to say in my previous answer, I wouldn't expect nor ask a "friend" to pay (but the MIL, yes :-O ).
moral maze - Lud
What an absurd idea.

When you have a car you have a car, and everything that comes with it.

When you take a friend shopping or to the pub in it, do you ask them for a percentage of petrol, running costs, depreciation and so on? Perhaps you do, but most people don't.

Put it another way. You are in a taxi, paying mileage. The taxi crashes or is run into. Do you expect the driver to demand compensation from you?

Barney's wife's friend is unreasonable and greedy.

moral maze - madf
The only moral responsibilty passengers have is to behave and keep quiet when I'm driving.
All the rest is hot air.imo.
madf
moral maze - FotheringtonThomas
What an absurd idea.

A.
O.
L.

I'd quote your post for clarity, but I mustn't. Readers press lots of buttons to refer to previous posts, please.
moral maze - Clanger
Car owner/driver should foot the bill unless a prior agreement exists.

Back in the mists of time I was asked to trailer a mate's car to Mull so he could rally it there. We made it into a holiday and took spouses and infant children. We agreed to split all costs down the middle including fuel, punctures and breakdowns. Fortunately we never needed to test the agreement, apart from fuel.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
moral maze - MikeTorque
More info needed regarding the relationship of the friends, how close are they, did the passenger ask the driver to collect them, is age and/or mobility an issue for either of them, do they car share when going out etc.

As a good will gester the passenger could offer 50/50, £150 each to keep a friendship is well worth it assuming the passenger is in a position to offer financial contribution, otherwise it's usual for the owner/driver to accept the responsibility.
moral maze - FotheringtonThomas
[insurance claim after incident] Do you think the passenger has a moral
responsibility to contribute.

No, not at all. That's not to say that the passenger shouldn't commiserate!
moral maze - bell boy
i agree with FotheringtonThomas
and if the passenger offers any financial compens then the driver to keep the friendship going should thank passenger friend but decline the money

result everyone keeps friends
moral maze - Roly93
I'm not an ungenerous person, but expecting your passenger to pay for damage to your car just because you happened to give them a ride, is rather unreasonable I think, it is just bad luck.
moral maze - drbe
Is it just me? (answer - yes it probably is) but I don't think we have enough info here.

Was it Barney's wife's car?

or, was it Barney's wife's friend's car?

moral maze - Altea Ego
Is it just me? (answer - yes it probably is) but I don't think we
have enough info here.
Was it Barney's wife's car?
or was it Barney's wife's friend's car?

SO to make it easier, was it Betty Rubble or Wilma Flintstone.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
moral maze - rogue-trooper
Can the passenger afford £300?

What is the value of a friendship?
moral maze - Leif
No.
moral maze - stevied
And a resounding NO from me too!

If you go on a trip with some friends, and you arrange to share petrol etc, then that is a fair (negotiated) arrangement.

You are NOT responsible for your mate's NCB! Nonsense..... I wouldn't ever get a lift anywhere with her.

Imagine a divorce settlement..... ; )
moral maze - paulb {P}
Isn't this sort of thing the reason why we have insurance?

I would be very surprised and not at all pleased to be expected to contribute in such circumstances. Equally, I wouldn't dream of asking any passenger of mine for money in such circumstances.

Unless there is more to this than we've been told up to now, it seems a most odd way of going through life.