Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - bazza
The Missus picked up a puncture on the bike tonight, a piece of glass through the centre portion of the tread on the rear. Direct Line had the bike home witihn the hour and tomorrow's mission is to find a mobile tyre fitter. I know there are lots of bikers on this site and being fairly new to biking ourselves, what is the best "get-you-home" temporary repair in the forum's opinion? A quick trawl of the web has thrown up various fixes including a temporary external insert/patch plus gas canisters, foam sealants and also something called Ultraseal,which seems to be more of a preventative measure added through the valve.
Any advice welcome, also I guess I'm thinking along replacing rather than repair of this tyre, being a cautious type.

Cheers
Baz
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - Robin Reliant
You can get a repair kit where you insert a patch through the hole with the supplied tool and it adheres to the inside of the tyre but it is only a get you home measure, the tyre should be properly repaired asap. BMW supply these kits with their bikes. I have used a foam sealant and it works, but it will cost you a new tyre. It forms a horrible sticky mess inside the tyre that takes ages to clean off, and I gaurantee that after the tyre fitter has discovered it the tyre will become beyond repair, with the help of a screwdriver.
--
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - Dave N
I've used the get you home kit of a pull through plug and gas cylinder. But one cylinder isn't enough, and they get very cold. In theory the tyre can be repaired properly, but depending on the performnce of the bike, it may not be advisable.
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - Pugugly {P}
My BMW comes with the kit mentioned. I doubt whether I would venture a roadside repair in this day and age and I would default to a recovery service to get home. When I've had to change a tyre on the bike in the past, I took the wheel off, slung it in the boot of the car and then took it to a tyre depot who is "known" to be bike friendly. I have become a rather lazy motorcyclist in that respect. I have never trusted home made repair on critical components of which a motorcycle tyre is as near critical as they get - especially on a performance bike of any sort.
The other option is a can of repair gunge, but that makes a right mess of the tyre for later repair work.
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - martint123
www.hein-gericke.com/uk/product_info.php/products_...3

That's the one I carry and I've used it once in 80,000 miles in the last eight years.
It works a treat, takes very little time and the three tubes is just enough to let you
dawdle home.
I've had a proper repair with mushroom patches and not worried about them, especially
as being a Yorkshireman and the cost of these bike tyres.

Second bike has tubed tyres, so I think I'd have to rely on the recovery truck should that
get a puncture.

Martin
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - cheddar
In theory the tyre can
be repaired properly but depending on the performnce of the bike it may not be
advisable.

Agreed, what bike is it?
Motorbike puncture repair kits-advice pl - bazza
Thanks for advice so far folks, pretty much what I've been thinking.
Cheddar, it's a CBF 500, not the world's fastest machine but quicker than most cars even so! I'm going to find a mobile fitter as I haven't got a lot of experience with bike mechanicals yet. I'll take his advice on repair or replace, I must admit to having car tyres regularly repaired (3 punctures in last year alone!) and never think twice about it. New experience to me with bikes though!
Baz