Renault Megane upto 1999 engine cutting - Bollard
I have experienced the engine cutting out when sitting in traffic. It has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks or so.
When it cuts out it will not re start. It is as though the battery is flat (the starter motor tries but it is very weak). After a few minutes the car comes back to life and works normally.

Any ideas???
Renault Megane upto 1999 engine cutting - Screwloose
Bollard

Very strange. It could be some sort of earthing fault, so a good check of the engine and battery earth cables and their terminals would be one place to start.

If it's petrol; a very long shot would be the crankshaft position sensor [TDC sensor] suffering from heat-soak and affecting the timing.

A proper set of vehicle details [including the engine code from the block] would be a great help.
Renault Megane upto 1999 engine cutting - Bollard
Screwloose

Thanks for the reply. I can't give you the engine code at the moment as my better half is out in. What I can tell you though is that it is a petrol 1.6e RT Sport. It's on a T plate, but it is the old shape (i beleive a newer model came out on the T plate).

I'll check the earth connections as suggested. How much would a TDC sensor be, and where is it located?

I look forward to a reply.

Renault Megane upto 1999 engine cutting - Screwloose
Bollard

The crank sensor in mounted on top of the flywheel and is £20-50. I wouldn't change it yet; it's only one of many possibilities.

Check the main power and earth cables first - and particularly those weird battery terminals for both security and internal [unseen] corrosion.