Really excessive speed. - David W
Pottering about in the garden yesterday and became aware of a bike in the distance roasting down our road from the North at a terrific speed, from the way the sound closed it had to be way over 100mph....bit much for daytime!

I stopped to get in a good position to see this hurtle past through a gap in the hedge.

Had to look up a bit because actually it was a black RAF Tucano aircraft at about 250ft and the same in mph I guess. Nice vehicle.

See Tucano www.raf.mod.uk/airpower/tucano.html

David
Re: Really excessive speed. - Dave
There was a test in 'Bike' a few years back.

Sporty bike of the time against an RAF jet.

It didn't really work. The bike went like a rocket from 0-125mph. The plane between 150-2000kph.

However they got a great pic of the bike and plane each lifting a front wheel.

I think I'm gonna ge ton to Dave Lacey about putting that Garrett TPE331 12B in my Rover 414i.

I reckon the engine mounts ought to be the same so it should slot right in with a gearbox off the V8 landie.
Re: Really excessive speed. - Ian Cook
David

Beautiful aeroplane! I bet it frightened the chickens!

I saw one of these approaching us down the river Wye a few years ago - it was very low and following the contours of the river. Front on it looked like a P51 Mustang, and it wasn't until it was close enough that its real identity became apparent. I also saw some at RAF Curch Fenton a couple of years ago in beautiful black livery.

Ian
Re: Really excessive speed. - ChrisR
My parents live near BAe Brough, where they tested the prototypes of this before the RAF decided to buy it. We enjoyed quite a few excellent flying displays on summer days in the 1980s. They still fly the Blackburn B2 there, and even do some gentle aerobatics with it. The stall turns with the engine cut are gut-wrenching until it fires up again.

www.acf.clara.net/scale/scale-pics-3/bipes/blackbu...l

Chris
Re: Really excessive speed. - David W
Ian,

I think the high gloss black livery is standard now. Very very smart. SWMBO and I were just chatting, that must be the ultimate private plane if you could get one.

David
Re: Really excessive speed. - Brian
Yes, it's now the standard RAF "learner" livery as it is the most visible (in daylight, before we get the usual cracks!), giving maximum contrast against sky and cloud.
Henry Ford was way ahead of his time (motoring link).
Re: Really excessive speed. - mybrainhurts
Didn't some government advisor suggest that aircraft carrying Blair & co should be painted black to make them less conspicuous ?

Aren't government advisors sharp ?
Re: Really excessive speed. - Tomo
mybrainhurts wrote:
>
> Didn't some government advisor suggest that aircraft carrying
> Blair & co should be painted black to make them less
> conspicuous ?
>
> Aren't government advisors sharp ?

Perhaps one really is!
Re: Really excessive speed. - Brian
Maybe he was suggesting, in a roundabout sort of way, that this government are still learners?