subaru legacy cold start problem - willyb
Hi.
I,ve an 04 plate 2.0 legacy and it has a problem on cold start . It always starts and idles fine if a little higher than most cars I,ve had at about 1300 rpm . -problem is when you start to low speed manouvre it. Without touching the throttle depressing the clutch causes the revs to surge to 2000 and this makes it awkward to drive in and out of the garage etc.

Two separate main dealers have had the car and tell me there is nothing wrong with it which I find astounding.

Two questions please : Any ideas what might be wrong? Where do I stand with the warranty( due to expire in July) when I say there is a fault and they say there is not?

The fault has been witnessed by friends and not in my imagination.

Any help welcome with this annoying glitch. The car is fine otherwise

Willyb

subaru legacy cold start problem - injection doc
I would check for air leaks aroun the inlet manifold . You dont say whether the rpm is increasing with just the clutch pedal down or whether you are manouvering with the clutch which will increase the rev's although I would have expected no more than 12-1500
subaru legacy cold start problem - willyb
Thanks for your reply. Because the engine revs car stationary on idle, are 1300 the car can be moved without any throttle action. Lifting the clutch causes the car to move as normal. it's on depressing it again to select say first from reverse that the revs increase to 2000ish. This continues every time the clutch is depressed for a minute or two and then it behaves normally. Symptoms have been the same summer or winter. Hope these details help a bit further.