MOT dilemma - cheddar
The Mondeo's MOT is due, I have previously the first two done at the Ford dealer, same price as the local indy who does the Clio, and they clearly know the car well, the MOT is one thing where generally you dont pay any more by going to a main dealer.

Should I use the dealer again this year, or the friendly indy who is more local, or another garage that is quite local who is offering MOT's for £25, they are a Daihatsu dealer so must be reputable however what is the catch? they must be losing money on a £25 MOT so are they more likely to find something minor that needs attention so as to cover their costs?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
MOT dilemma - Stuartli
I would stick to your Ford dealer unless you genuinely want an independent MOT i.e. at an establishment which does not provide servicing and repairs.

Probably the best known source for such facilities is your local council and having a look at this thread will help:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=50...9
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT dilemma - wantone
After my episode with a ford dealer trying to con me in to having work done that didnt need doing i asked the vosa chap what he does.
He never told me about himself but said the one's to avoid are main dealers and kwik fit, biggest culprits for finding work that doesn't need doing and failing the border line.
If you know and trust the indy(i don't trust anybody now) i think you are on to a winner.
MOT dilemma - AngryJonny
I have used independents for quite some years now, and I've been pretty happy with the work I've had done.

For example, MOT last year - took it to a local independent. It passed with one item advisory. This year I took it to a different local independent for its service and MOT (I have moved to a different area) and the one thing that came up as an issue was last year's advisory. Aside from that all was well. So... consistency, if nothing else.

It sounded to me like both indepentents had enough work on to keep them busy, and relied on preserving their reputation to win business rather than inventing work. In other words - go somewhere that has a reputation worth preserving. Dealers and fast-fit places aren't necessarily it.
MOT dilemma - 659FBE
Avoid main dealers and fast fit places at all costs - your vehicle is likely to be mistreated by trainees (untrainables?) and work will be found to meet turnover objectives.

Find a good independent and stick with him. I have been lucky enough to find such an outlet in my area and my car is treated with the utmost respect, the service is fair, efficient and courteous. It is not cut price.

I am as interested in safety as the MOT tester and he now knows me pretty well. I would say that aggregated over a number of years he has been lenient in issuing advisory points rather than failures. He knows though, that any advisory he issues will be acted upon promptly.

MOT dilemma - markengland
A local independent fast fit tyre / exhaust type place near us in Basildon is offering any MOT for £12. How can they do it? Presumably they try to find any work that needs doing and charge through the nose for that?
MOT dilemma - cheddar
Presumably they try to find any work that
needs doing and charge through the nose for that?

That is my concern re the £25 MOT, that the car is more likely to fail because the profit for the garage is from repairs not the MOT itself.
MOT dilemma - Stuartli
You did seem to suggest that you were happy with the main dealer as you had taken it there twice in succession.

I used to have my car MOT'd at National, which offered (may still do) half price tests. The car passed its test every time without needing any work done.

The only reason I stopped using National, apart from the fact that the nearest branch it had with an MOT facility was 17 miles away, was because a couple of years ago it temporarily had no MOT approved tester and was using a third party. Since then I've used a very trustworthy independent garage that came very highly recommended.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by