Our Car is missing its Vin plate - pendulum
Right then. Hello there.

Me and a friend of mine bought a 1997 Mondeo from Auction. It came with the V5, keys, etc. No signs of it ever being stolen or tampered with.

We have just noticed the fact that the VIN plate is... missing!!!

I do have a few questions;

1) Is there any legitimate reason why the VIN plate would have been taken off?
2) The V5 number does match the number on a sticker by the doors, but I hear there is another plate on the floorpan somewhere? Does anyone know roughly where it is so I can check it?

The only thing is that the car used to be owned by a leasing firm. Do you perhaps think they would have taken the VIN plate for 'safekeeping'?

Replies most appreciated!
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Altea Ego
There is no reason to remove a vin plate. In fact I think it is illegal.

There should be a number punched into the floor pan or sill by the drivers door, It will be under the carpet, or behind a pastic flap in the trim. Some also have the Vin number punched onto the top of the inner wings, bulkhead or front slam panel in the engine bay. NOt sure if this model of mondeo has the visible vin at the bottom of the windscreen on one side.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Eek.

Why would someone want to remove the VIN plate?
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - No Do$h
Because the car is nicked or a ringer. Have you checked the engine number? No legitimate reason for the VIN to be missing at all. Before you get in a total panic, check, check and check again that there really is no VIN on the car.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - local yokel
Does the engine no. match the V5 entry?
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - henry k
Just checked my 98 Mondeo.
Not sure if this model of Mondeo has the visible vin at the bottom of the windscreen on one side.

Yes bottom of screen on passenger side.

No VIN PLATE plate instantly visible on mine but there a plastic stick on version on the B pillar on the drivers side.
Open the driver's door and you should see it sideways on by the seat back.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - jc2
The engine number on these should be the last two letters and the five numbers of the VIN.The VIN is usually stamped into the floorpan beside the driver's seat,under a flap in the carpet.Later models no longer have the full VIN plate(the one with engine,transmission,body etc. codes) in the engine compartment-it is usually found on the door pillar.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - bell boy
its a ford vin plates do fall off
salvage dealers might take them off prior to public auction sale in case the ringer boys fancy them
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Altea Ego
its a ford vin plates do fall off

ONly with a little outside assistance
salvage dealers might take them off prior to public auction
sale in case the ringer boys fancy them

only if its being sold as not repairable

Have you done an HPI check on the car?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - bell boy
>> salvage dealers might take them off prior to public auction
>> sale in case the ringer boys fancy them
>>
only if its being sold as not repairable

You have never bought salvage then tvm it is standard practice (was) when agw or hbc salvage auctions used to do open salvage sales
they are as of this week both now internet auction only
a sign of the times i think and more importantly cuts down on thefts by wallas in shorts
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Cliff Pope
You can buy replacement VIN plates for classic cars, so it can't be an offence not to have one or to remove it.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Sim-O
You can buy replacement VIN plates for classic cars, so
it can't be an offence not to have one or to
remove it.

It's an offence not to have number plates, but you can buy them.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
I texted my mate with a comment from this forum and that got him worried, he went to the police station and gave them the reg number and number from the V5, and that did not flag anything up. The woman told him to ring DVLA Chelmsford about the VIN plate. He did and they told him to visit a Ford main dealer, because apparently they can authorise a replacement!

We're going to see how much a new one is, because maybe it'll be hard to sell on without one. At least it's not currently recorded as stolen - although Christ knows its previous history. :(
Later models no longer have the full VIN plate(the one with
engine,transmission,body etc. codes) in the engine compartment-it is usually found on
the door pillar.

Really? That is where we were looking, in the engine compartment. Although to be honest you can see 2 holes and there is a "shodow" of where something exactly the same size and shape as a VIN plate used to be. I am sure that it was there but missing.

I'll get some pictures next time I'm up there.

Thanks for all the replies.
I have not done an HPI check on the car. I probably should have done, although we bought it very cheap at auction. At auction each car has a descriptive sheet which must be accurate. There is very little info given on the sheet, but one of the few obligatory questions is "Has the car ever been declared a total loss?" and the answer was No.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Cliff Pope
A quick Google search produced the following, as examples.

VIN NUMBER - EMBOSS ONLY
Product Reference: VIN.EMBOSS
£17.00
VIN NUMBER - SUPPLY AND EMBOSS
Product Reference: VIN.NO.EMBOSS
£20.00
VIN NUMBER - SUPPLY AND EMBOSS 2 LINES
Product Reference: VIN.NO.EMBOSS2
£25.00
VIN NUMBER - SUPPLY AND EMBOSS 3 LINES
Product Reference: VIN.NO.EMBOSS3
£30.00

So the plate itself is only symbolic. It's the stamp on the bodywork that really counts, although of course even that is pretty easily forgeable.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - AR-CoolC
The VIN plates on the Mondeo can be damaged when removing a windscreen, in fact the only way to remove one is to remove the windscreen to get to the rivets holding it in place. When cutting out a screen with cheese wire it can sometimes get caught between the rivet and the plate and if enough brute force is used will cut through the thin metal VIN plate.

This is a reason to why it could be missing.
The windscreen number is not the official VIN plate;that used to be on the front upper crossmember of the car(on a Ford) but there was also a paint/trim plate on them.The Vin was moved to the door pillar and it is the plate with other info as well as the chassis number.You need to go back to Ford for a replacement as they hold the blank plates.The chassis number is stamped into the floor beside the driver's seat under a flap in the carpet.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - DP
Yup, on my mk2, it's a sticker on the driver's side B-pillar. Open the driver's door and it's located towards the bottom of the pillar, just before the pillar curves round to meet the sill. There is nothing on the front slam panel apart from a blank plate.

It does have the chassis number on a label on the passenger side of the dash which is visible through the windscreen.

Cheers
DP
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Garethj
At least it's not currently recorded as stolen - although Christ knows its previous history. :(

But if there's no VIN plate, how can they check if it's been stolen or not? If you've just given the registration then isn't it possible it's a stolen car that's been put on a crashed registration?
Read the chassis number on the floor at the side of the drivers seat;it's stamped into the floor so it is reasonably permanent.
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - DP
Mine doesn't have one (flap or number).

DP
Our Car is missing its Vin plate - Ruperts Trooper
VIN information doesn't have to be embossed on a plate - the legal requirement is for it to be indelibly marked.

The B-post sticker is the "VIN Plate".
I did promise pics...

ccgi.pendulum.plus.com/mondy.JPG
ccgi.pendulum.plus.com/mondy2.JPG

You can see where the VIN plate should be.

I checked the sticker on the door and it looks legit and matches the V5. There is a visible VIN near the windscreen and that matches too. I couldn't find the one that is supposed to be under a flap in the carpet though nor could I find the engine number.

The window glass was etched but the security numbers are all different, all the door windows match but the front window has a different security etching from the side windows, and the back window has a different etching too (not the same as the front window), then again the car is 10 years old so maybe a new front and back window in all that time is not so suspicious?

Oh well. Don't really know what I'm going to do now. Might try and get a replacement VIN but I am still very suspicious of the car.
You can see where the VIN plate should be.

>>
No I cannot see where the VIN should be. I suspect it might have been there on earlier models and it certainly is not worth changing the plant to not drill the holes.
Haynes shows a metal VIN plate there but I suspect that too it is for an earlier model

You photos are ( almost) identical to what my 98 Mondeo looks like. I have just checked.
The difference is that some twit has wiped the the yellow sticker with some solvent and deleted the A/C info.
I checked the sticker on the door and it looks legit and matches the V5.

Good
>>There is a visible VIN near the windscreen and that matches too.
Good
I couldn't find the one that is supposed to be under a flap in the carpet

I think you have been given wrong info. My Mondeo does not have one but my previous SIERRA did have a flap as alluded to.

There is a VIN one the bulkhead on the drivers side. up close to the windscreen.
Mine has a cut out in the sound deadening so yo can see it.
It might not be obvious as it is white/ gray ( My Mondeo is silver).
So check this out

>>though nor could I find the engine number.

Haynes says " ...on front of cylinder block/crankcase ( seen from below)"

>>then again the car is 10 years old so maybe a new front and back window in all that time
is not so suspicious?

>>
My screen is well pitted. It is easy to " enhance" the appearance before selling a car as Glass excess is only £50.
Oh well. Don't really know what I'm going to do now.

Check out my comments?
Might try and get a replacement VIN but I am still very suspicious of the car.

Good luck.
Thanks Henry. Looks like it was a fuss over nothing then! **embarrassed but relieved**
Absolutely no harm in asking.
Did you find and check out the VIN on the bulkhead?.
I've not had a chance too yet, the car is parked several miles away. I will do though asap. Thanks again