MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - cottontop
My Golf Estate (Diesel) went in for its service and MOT this week and shock/horror it came out pretty good.

In the end it just needed some work on the brakes and the usual bulbs and that was it. Total cost around £300 (good for a N reg in my book). My main concern (I don't trust no-one) is that items on the advisory from the last MOT didn't even creep in this year. Now do I have the world's first self-healing car or is it the usual case of different people having different standards ???

Richard
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Stuartli
If you prefer an independent MOT test (i.e. no repairs outlet), have a look at your local council's website.

The majority offer MOT tests at their vehicle maintenance centres.

Many years ago, when my town was run by a borough council which was responsible for police, fire, ambulance, bus services etc, you could get a similar MOT service at the local bus depot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Stuartli
Further to above, here's a list of councils that provide such a service:

tinyurl.com/aqwr2
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - jc2
Colchester Fire Brigade do MoT.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Simon
In the most part a lot of testable items are down the the opinion of the MOT man doing the test. So if in the first year you get one who is a bit picky, you may get a few advisories. Whereas in the next year you may get someone who is not so picky and won't consider the same items to be worn sufficiently to get an advisory.

Going back a few years now I used to take one certain car for a MOT each year and got the same advisory every year. I lost count of the number of times that I got the same advisory, it just never developed into a failure.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - dxp55
It never ceases to amaze me when someone says their car passed MOT after a bit of work on brakes and "just the usual bulbs" - hope to christ you don't live in Shropshire - what were you doing driving on road with defective brakes and blown bulbs. - are you the person that drives 3ft from my rear bumper -- Duh - just put foot on brakes and it pulled to left but if I leave it for a week or two it might cure it's self.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - cottontop
It never ceases to amaze me when someone says their car
passed MOT after a bit of work on brakes and
"just the usual bulbs" - hope to christ you don't
live in Shropshire - what were you doing driving on road
with defective brakes and blown bulbs. - are you the person
that drives 3ft from my rear bumper -- Duh -
just put foot on brakes and it pulled to left
but if I leave it for a week or two it
might cure it's self.

I'm not in Shropshire, its Staffordshire to be exact. The brake work included replacement brake pipes on front and there was a brake imbalance, but nothing I hadn't noticed. The bulb work was was down to a few indicators "showing a colour other than amber" and one of the reg plate lights not working.

If you're not going to post anything worthwhile then don't bother !!!

Rich
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - yorkiebar
I have to say too many people use this site to have a "pop" rather than offer constructive advice.

Considering more cars fail than pass at the testing station I use I have to assume that most people are not even aware they have problems with their cars.

It is the ideal reason to have an mot test!
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - henry k
>>..... I have to assume that most people are not even aware they have problems with their cars.
It is the ideal reason to have an mot test!

>>
The Focus in our household failed due to the rear suspension being damaged ( we know not how) so we were well satisfied the MoT test identified it.

When at my MoT station this week I enquired re a removed tyre. It was almost totally bald with no tread visible over 90% of it plus a 20cm section lifted off the carcase showing the steel threads.
The driver had previously clipped a kerb, damaged the suspension but then ignored the situation.

I would certainly say that many are not aware and what is worse do not appear to be concerned.
I think that the number driving with failed bulbs ( hardly difficult to check them) indicates the " I do not care" attitude.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Dynamic Dave
If you're not going to post anything worthwhile then don't bother !!!

What you have to remember is, there are a lot of pedantic people on this site (me included)

Maybe had you explained yourself clearer at the start, then people may have been not so quick to judge. Saying "and the usual bulbs" is a lot different than later saying "The bulb work was was down to a few indicators "showing a colour other than amber" " . The former indicates (excuse pun) that some bulbs had blown, but you hadn't bothered checking, whereas the latter explains things more clearly (or amberly in this particular case)
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - mss1tw
In the end it just needed the usual bulbs

You didn't check before hand? :-S
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Another John H
>> In the end it just needed the usual bulbs
You didn't check before hand? :-S

Isn't that the "give the tester something to find" (and then they might stop looking so hard) ploy??
Isn't that the "give the tester something to find" (and then
they might stop looking so hard) ploy??

That wouldn't be how I'd describe it ;o)

My bulbs all worked and strangely my car went right through with nothing but an advisory for new rear brake pads although it has virtually no interior, and the airbag light is on. :^D

Blown bulbs though to me would indicate an entirely different attidude to the MoT.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Pugugly {P}
Must mention my old 330d went through an MoT an "failed" on indicator bulbs, those horrid amber painted bulbs were working alright but the painted surface had burnt/worn through......can't account for that in a pre-MoT can you ?
Must mention my old 330d went through an MoT an "failed"
on indicator bulbs, those horrid amber painted bulbs were working alright
but the painted surface had burnt/worn through......can't account for that in
a pre-MoT can you ?

Being an old fashioned kinda guy I normally actually look at a bulb to check whether it's working or not.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Simon
>>...those horrid amber painted bulbs were working alright but the painted surface had burnt/worn through

It technically known as 'showing a light other than amber'. If your indicators are too white rather than the normal amber (in the testers opinion), he can fail it.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - David Horn
Yes, but even a car that's wildly outside the set figures on the diesel smoke test can be passed if the tester considers it "OK".
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - milkyjoe
i took a car in a year ago with a very cracked wing mirror and the mot bloke didnt say owt, i took the same car with the same cracked mirror in last month and he failed it (told me to get a sticky pad replacement glass) same bloke aswell
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - barchettaman
Why do cars ´sail through´ their MoT tests? Why don´t they just ´pass´?
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - Jamesh266
A lot of the MOT is subjective - I brought an old VW Jetta over from Greece, and before attempting the journey I had it inspected and serviced in Greece. The nice man from Volkswagen in Athens said "No problem - you get a bit of bang bang boom boom, bit the car is safe."

The first MOT I took it into failed it on a number of items which were easily repairable (and were repaired), but they failed it on a worn steering rack. As it was a left hand drive car, it was difficult to get a new rack over here. I took it to a different test station, who failed it on a wheel bearing (much cheaper and easier to replace), got it fixed, and for the next three years used the second test centre, where it never failed on its worn steering rack.

The place I use now does not do repairs - it is an MOT test centre only, and I seem to get more first time passes now.
MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - 659FBE
Out of interest, did you take it to the place I suggested? (named after wild animal no longer huntable).

MOT Shock !! - In a good way :) - 659FBE
(message for mss1tw - reply out of sequence).